The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I still struggle to understand how supporters who’ve followed Ayr over any period of time can seriously be looking to get rid of Bullen at this point. He’s been in situ since January last year and had the task of keeping what was Hopkin and Duffy’s team in the division which he achieved (just) but with that squad it was no small achievement so they are judging based on one pre-season and just over 3/4 of a regular season.

Even allowing for the disappointment of the Falkirk result and performance and not knowing yet whether we’ll make the play-offs he’ll have over achieved on his target for the season which will have been to avoid a relegation scrap and at best be sniffing round the play-off places.

Alex Stuart would be the only Ayr manager to have been sacked with the club in a higher league position according to my recollection - think we finished third in the season Dalziel’s contract was not renewed which is where we currently sit.

Will be interesting to see which players are retained at the end of the season as one valid question about him is about loyalty to some players who clearly don’t seem up to the next aims of club. Style of play is clearly an issue for many although there are plenty of examples of successful teams who aren’t great to watch. Killie last season were not easy on the eye (have those mutants even been?) and I can’t say any of our rivals for the title this season are going to be remembered as playing memorable football.

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Alex Stuart would be the only Ayr manager to have been sacked with the club in a higher league position according to my recollection - think we finished third in the season Dalziel’s contract was not renewed which is where we currently sit.

Did Dalziel not swap jobs with Campbell Money? 

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did Dalziel not swap jobs with Campbell Money? 

Yep, I also have in my head that DL was still around for a while picking up a wage. Could be Mandela effecting myself but for whatever reason I believe he was hanging around while the wage bill needed to be dismantled and doon we went the next season. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Yep, I also have in my head that DL was still around for a while picking up a wage. Could be Mandela effecting myself but for whatever reason I believe he was hanging around while the wage bill needed to be dismantled and doon we went the next season. 

IIRC his contract was up at the end of the 02/03 season anyway and he swapped jobs with Campbell Money until his contract expired.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

If you took a shit free kick in your workplace it wouldn't give people the right to shout at you though.

People don't pay twenty pounds to come and watch me do my work.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Style of play is clearly an issue for many although there are plenty of examples of successful teams who aren’t great to watch. Killie last season were not easy on the eye (have those mutants even been?) and I can’t say any of our rivals for the title this season are going to be remembered as playing memorable football.

The very important difference is that Kilmarnock won the league playing like that, and every time Ayr play like that they get fucking beat, including against lower league opposition in a game worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The very important difference is that Kilmarnock won the league playing like that, and every time Ayr play like that they get fucking beat, including against lower league opposition in a game worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Yeah yeah 

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Is actually Irish for O'Connor apparently. Not that I already knew that, just looked it up

I hear you but then why not be consistent with it? Above (as a goal scorer) he is referred to as O'Connor.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Another stellar highlights package I see.

tenor.gif

Although we're now getting fade out transitions, assume it's an attempt to "modernise" them. Maybe stick the HD on next time.

I'm sure Mathie said we were due a new highlights package at some point. Dunno what's happened to it?

I've stopped watching them as its dreadful. I occasionally see them when the BBC are covering us and have to do a montage of Dipo's goals the ones at Somerset are like something off a Commodore 64.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm sure Mathie said we were due a new highlights package at some point. Dunno what's happened to it?

I've stopped watching them as its dreadful. I occasionally see them when the BBC are covering us and have to do a montage of Dipo's goals the ones at Somerset are like something off a Commodore 64.

It has me questioning my eye health whenever I watch them.