The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Fair play to McKenzie, think he has earned an extension. Never going to be a goal machine but can be effective on his day when used properly. Decent option in this squad and I think he'll improve in years to come.

Really tired of seeing supporters refer to players like McKenzie as "junior standard". Fucking nonsense. Do any other clubs fans use that silly comparison as much as our support does? 

2 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Really tired of seeing supporters refer to players like McKenzie as "junior standard". Fucking nonsense. Do any other clubs fans use that silly comparison as much as our support does? 

Probably a hangover from the days of us signing players from the juniors.

To compare McKenzie to the absolute shite we used to sign from the juniors is daft.

I categorically do not have a problem with giving young players decent contract extensions. This is what proper football clubs do.

I also think that Bullen will be at Ayr next year regardless.  But I can also say that with the league likely being quite a bit tougher next season (and quite possibly 100% full-time for the first time in a while) the likelihood is that it's going to be a relegation battle from day 1 unless Mathie et al pull off another coup, at which point they might as well try shopping for a more tactically adept manager as well.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I categorically do not have a problem with giving young players decent contract extensions. This is what proper football clubs do.

I also think that Bullen will be at Ayr next year regardless.  But I can also say that with the league likely being quite a bit tougher next season (and quite possibly 100% full-time for the first time in a while) the likelihood is that it's going to be a relegation battle from day 1 unless Mathie et al pull off another coup, at which point they might as well try shopping for a more tactically adept manager as well.

I like Bullen as a person but I do think his lack of tactical nous is to the detriment of the team. A more tactically astute manager would get more out of the current squad.

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

followed by the sad realisation that you are celebrating just being slightly less shit than the rest of the complete dug meat around you #happyfriday

Scottish football, from top to bottom, summed up.

I get Dipo's importance to the group but what's to say plans aren't in place, if/when he leaves, to try and find ways of replacing him, I have no doubt about that.

I was very critical of the club in the past of not profiting from our better players when they left us, we're now in a position where we can. It takes time for that trading model to start working and we're getting there but it takes time.

That's not what supporters who hang on weekly results and performances want to hear but that's the reality.

Before July of last year, nobody even knew who Dipo was. Just let that sink in for a minute.

His replacement or replacements, are out there. We just need to find them before anyone else, not impossible.

Just having a look at next season, what we need, rid of and who will leave:

Contracted - O.Ecrepont, Albinson, F.Ecrepont, Reading, Musonda, McGinty, Watret*, Murdoch, Dempsey, Bangala** JML, Hewitt, Smith, Jenkins*, Dipo, McKenzie, Bryden, Ashford**, Guthrie* , Viviani*

Keep that is out of contract - McAllister, Mullin

What we need in - Backup goalie on a less wage than McAdams, RB, minimum 1 cb, possible LB with Ecrepont doing a full season on loan maybe in the championsip/top league 1 club, Winger (possibly Chalmers, wont be staying at Tranmere and doesn't have a future at Dundee United), CM and 2 ST needed if Dipo leaves

*Denotes youth player

**Denotes Who I think will leave by mutual termination 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Scottish football, from top to bottom, summed up.

I get Dipo's importance to the group but what's to say plans aren't in place, if/when he leaves, to try and find ways of replacing him, I have no doubt about that.

I was very critical of the club in the past of not profiting from our better players when they left us, we're now in a position where we can. It takes time for that trading model to start working and we're getting there but it takes time.

That's not what supporters who hang on weekly results and performances want to hear but that's the reality.

Before July of last year, nobody even knew who Dipo was. Just let that sink in for a minute.

His replacement or replacements, are out there. We just need to find them before anyone else, not impossible.

Dipo and Adeloye were both signed from the English lower leagues and became key players for us. Obviously Dipo is clearly better then Adeloye was, but Adeloye's goals last season were ultimately as important to us as Dipo's have been this season. There's probably a few boys operating at that level who could come up and do a job for us. That's probably the market we're operating in - not expensive players to sign but potentially a health profit if it works out as well as Dipo's transfer has.

Losing key players is never ideal, but getting a good profit beats losing them for f**k all.

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Dipo and Adeloye were both signed from the English lower leagues and became key players for us. Obviously Dipo is clearly better then Adeloye was, but Adeloye's goals last season were ultimately as important to us as Dipo's have been this season. There's probably a few boys operating at that level who could come up and do a job for us. That's probably the market we're operating in - not expensive players to sign but potentially a health profit if it works out as well as Dipo's transfer has.

Losing key players is never ideal, but getting a good profit beats losing them for f**k all.

It's a good idea in theory as a lot of boys in the English lower league would enjoy a step up to the scottish championship, though it could go two ways.....

1) They could be good like Adeloye (who had previously played Scottish football very briefly for East Kilbride) or Akinyemi, who have both done well in their time at Ayr. Scoring Goals and showing their talents. 

2) They could be like Ryan Gondoh, who was a very likable character but not the best at football or Muhammadu Faal, who had his trial at Ayr and wasn't signed, then went on to score goals for fun back in the lower English leagues.

It could go either way with signings. Though I'm certain Ayr will look at what's available and study hard of what players could potentially make a difference.

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Hewitt was a standout in the league cup games at the start of the season and then got injured, Smith was man of the match in the game against Thistle we won 3-1.

Neither have had a regular run of games for us this season though to warrant them being labelled poor.

If you want to call them that off the back of one or two bad games it would be ridiculous as by that logic the whole squad is poor as none of our players haven't had at least one bad game this season.

Hewitt always needed game time after his injury which the Peterhead loan got him and Smith has increased his minutes this season. Problem may be some fans expectations, particularly for Smith after the Thistle game, rather than the players themselves.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Just having a look at next season, what we need, rid of and who will leave:

Contracted - O.Ecrepont, Albinson, F.Ecrepont, Reading, Musonda, McGinty, Watret*, Murdoch, Dempsey, Bangala** JML, Hewitt, Smith, Jenkins*, Dipo, McKenzie, Bryden, Ashford**, Guthrie* , Viviani*

**Denotes Who I think will leave by mutual termination 

In what universe would Ashford want to rip up his contract? Never even mind that he starts most games.

28 minutes ago, Thumper said:

In what universe would Ashford want to rip up his contract? Never even mind that he starts most games.

He starts most games just now because Chalmers left and Mullin is injured.  He's 3rd/4th in the pecking order for wingers and not used as a striker where he wants to play.  He'll be away in the summer if he finds a new club.

47 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Neither have had a regular run of games for us this season though to warrant them being labelled poor.

If you want to call them that off the back of one or two bad games it would be ridiculous as by that logic the whole squad is poor as none of our players haven't had at least one bad game this season.

Hewitt always needed game time after his injury which the Peterhead loan got him and Smith has increased his minutes this season. Problem may be some fans expectations, particularly for Smith after the Thistle game, rather than the players themselves.

They didn't have a run of games last season and looked promising which is what I posted. 

They have looked like passengers this season and quite rightly haven't been left to suffer in the team. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They didn't have a run of games last season and looked promising which is what I posted. 

They have looked like passengers this season and quite rightly haven't been left to suffer in the team. 

Smith looked promising off the back of one game. It was always going to be difficult for him to maintain that standard.