The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

28 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

An eighth placed side signing Musonda, Kirk, Chalmers, Mullin, Dempsey and Akinyemi is very very good summer business.

January clearly wasn’t as good, but they can’t get everything right and we were never going to be able to replace the quality of Chalmers. 

I'd agree our summer business was good however our January window was a complete nightmare. We were going for a league title and managed to come out it weaker than what we went into it. 

The club can't go on about achieving something special and then go and pull out a window like that. 

26 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I have to say, it's non-sensical to argue that the summer window wasn't good. The winter window was atrocious despite signing Mullen. This should maybe have been expected as we prioritised the summer window from a budget perspective.

I do think we neglected areas of the squad badly. Left back and right back and central midfield. I was going to say upfront but I'd forgotten about Maguire.

I am still left thinking if you took Dipo out of the team, where would we be?

The winter window purely on paper (and only on incomings) was good.  Reality exists though and McAleer & Maguire have both offered nothing since arriving and Mullin immediately stopped having any impact on matches then got injured for the foreseeable.  

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Comical Ali / Baghdad Bob | Know Your Meme

You aren’t though? 

We finished eighth in the league and were still able to go a build a squad that had challenging at the top. Usually you’d find it difficult to attract players after two seasons of relegation battles. Hunting for players in England probably helps but to be able to bring in Chalmers who had done really well for Caley and then Mullin who is a hugely experienced player at this level was really good stuff. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

You aren’t though?

I enjoy this cute game of pretending that Queens Park don't exist as much as anyone, but it's a bit silly to be playing it in a discussion about who has the right to sign players. If you offer a player more money than they would get elsewhere then they will sign for you. Even Mullin, who objectively took a step down, had the boat massively pushed out for him, which proves that the club is capable of doing so. The notion that Ayr United are simply too wee, too poor and too stupid to have had any other options at left back than Patrick Reading doesn't hold water.

I’m sure we are all agreed that the current custodians of the club and building an infrastructure for us to function in the top flight.

Our foray at the top of the league must have been unexpected and certainly not in the business plan and I think that we are all a bit gutted that we didn’t have a great January window and go for the title.

However, are we really ready for the leap yet?  Do we have potential top league suitable players on the radar to recruit this summer?

I know that this season was, on reflection, a glorious chance to win the league (as Queens are showing) and I’m 100% confident that they are not ready for top flight football, currently playing on a carpet in East Bumfuck.

My main point is that I think it is important and correct that we are all looking for and expecting success on the pitch now.  For far too long we have accepted mediocrity.  Finally we have one of us in the driving seat of the club.  It is time to expect and time to deliver - just maybe not this season.

Spoiler

What a league the Championship could be next season though!  Imagine Killie and Dundee Utd came down?  Dunfermline and Falkirk come up?  Ooooooft!!!

I bet if you asked every ayr fan on hear we would all love to go up to the premiership even if it was for 1 season,

Look at the Ross county's,Livy's st Johnstone's even Hamilton in our lge now same as Inverness as well how did they either stay up or being in spl.

Next season's championship will be a much tougher task than this season and we will need to ready for it. Said it previously, but would absolutely take mid table next season if it was offered just now. 

Of course we would then batter through the Championship in a blaze of glory the following season with a redeveloped North Stand and bumper crowds. 

A man can dream.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

You aren’t though? 

We finished eighth in the league and were still able to go a build a squad that had challenging at the top. Usually you’d find it difficult to attract players after two seasons of relegation battles. Hunting for players in England probably helps but to be able to bring in Chalmers who had done really well for Caley and then Mullin who is a hugely experienced player at this level was really good stuff. 

The aim isn't just to collect footballers though, you need guys who fit the type of football you intend to play. Unfortunately nobody seems to know what that is.

1 hour ago, Aliayr76 said:

I bet if you asked every ayr fan on hear we would all love to go up to the premiership even if it was for 1 season,

Look at the Ross county's,Livy's st Johnstone's even Hamilton in our lge now same as Inverness as well how did they either stay up or being in spl.

If we were serious about going up and competing then Yes and even for the novelty value it would be great, however from a purely personal perspective I'd far rather watch an Ayr team who were a "player" in the Championship and who could go to places like Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Greenock, Partick etc with confidence and realistically hope for the 3 points. Give me that over a pumping by all the Premier teams and the accompanied off field issues which come with the old firm matches any day of the week.

I'm of the age that's never seen us in the Premier but I do look back with fondness of the old First division where we often got crowds of 3,500 to 4,000 and had some cracking matches over the years with various sides who always brought a good away following which created an excellent atmosphere. We were also competitive and every game could go either way and draws weren't a terrible disappointment either.

I also get that some fans will see this as a lack of ambition (and they could be right) but I believe we should try and improve our infrastructure (the new North Stand) and add a good few hundred more to our core support with a couple of years of solid consolidation and improvement before we go all in to the Premier.

That said, there's probably no right time and no ideal scenario given that Dunfermline and Falkirk both have the infrasructure, the stadium, the support levels plus the budget but ultimately found themselves going in the opposite direction and ending up in the horrific and depressing League 1.

By the same token, part time Arbroath almost pulled it off the other way and that was without the cash, the infrastructure or the fan base which I suppose proves that anything can happen in a 10 team league with such a high turnover of Managers and Players.

I suppose the pragmatist in me just wants to go and enjoy each game on it's own merits, hope for a win and a good atmosphere, enjoy a day / night out with my pals and a few beers and ultimately just hope we play some good football and get 3 points and let it take us where it takes us.......

7 hours ago, Thumper said:

I enjoy this cute game of pretending that Queens Park don't exist as much as anyone, but it's a bit silly to be playing it in a discussion about who has the right to sign players. If you offer a player more money than they would get elsewhere then they will sign for you. Even Mullin, who objectively took a step down, had the boat massively pushed out for him, which proves that the club is capable of doing so. The notion that Ayr United are simply too wee, too poor and too stupid to have had any other options at left back than Patrick Reading doesn't hold water.

I’m 99% certain we aren’t arguing about the same issue. I’m not sure how QP are being dragged into it. 

My point was simply that the club did quite well in the summer. Left back wasn’t really an issue then as we knew Reading was more than capable at this level despite the odd bad game.