The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Thomas, Fox, Savoury, Boateng and Oakley all walk into starting eleven. 

Boateng is one of the best players in the league.

One of the best midfielders I have seen at this level ever. During the game at Ochilview he was everywhere - pick pocketing our forwards and midfielders. He had such an influence on that game. I would take him in our team in a heart beat.

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’d class Dempsey as last seasons signing.

Mullen - had a good game against Cove but his form was patchy before then, better than what we had but not a consistent performer.

Kirk - Brilliant most of the season, missed a couple of months and has been below par for the last month

The rest have not been upgrades at all. 

Lol whit? 

Mullin has arguably been every bit as important as Akinyemi this season, until his injury anyway. His form dipped when he signed permanently but I can’t recall a game before where he wasn’t at least a 7/10. Massive upgrade on last season. 

Likewise Kirk and Musonda are upgrades on Muirhead and Baird. Chalmers is better than anything we’ve had since the McCall teams. A proper match winner and his departure is the single biggest reason we’ve fell to pieces. 

Young was hit and miss and I can’t figure out how you’ve excluded Akinyemi. 

29 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Lol whit? 

Mullin has arguably been every bit as important as Akinyemi this season, until his injury anyway. His form dipped when he signed permanently but I can’t recall a game before where he wasn’t at least a 7/10. Massive upgrade on last season. 

Likewise Kirk and Musonda are upgrades on Muirhead and Baird. Chalmers is better than anything we’ve had since the McCall teams. A proper match winner and his departure is the single biggest reason we’ve fell to pieces. 

Young was hit and miss and I can’t figure out how you’ve excluded Akinyemi. 

I said largely as I have mentioned twice now.

I haven't mentioned Akinyemi because he has been a standout. 

Which relates to my point. 

Of the 8 players brought in during the summer, 

Chalmers played 11 games and left

Young played 11 games and left, was good in maybe half of them, scored twice

Bangala, not a footballer

JML, managed a good 20 min across maybe 10 games

Musonda, missed 3 months of the season

Kirk, Good apart from the last month

Akinyemi 

Mullen

Not exactly a list that screams success. 

16 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

I have a feeling our increased league prize money and probably our fee for Dipo will be enough to up grade our squad by five or so starters . Mullin probably will be off and that could add two or three to the pool . So the project will move on and gather momentum . 

Hopefully a new head coach. With an experienced assistant 

31 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

I have a feeling our increased league prize money and probably our fee for Dipo will be enough to up grade our squad by five or so starters . Mullin probably will be off and that could add two or three to the pool . So the project will move on and gather momentum . 

No reason to think any additions will improve results when there isn't an identifiable system to fit them into.  

40 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I said largely as I have mentioned twice now.

I haven't mentioned Akinyemi because he has been a standout. 

Which relates to my point. 

Of the 8 players brought in during the summer, 

Chalmers played 11 games and left

Young played 11 games and left, was good in maybe half of them, scored twice

Bangala, not a footballer

JML, managed a good 20 min across maybe 10 games

Musonda, missed 3 months of the season

Kirk, Good apart from the last month

Akinyemi 

Mullen

Not exactly a list that screams success. 

5/8 of those players have contributed a lot to our good form this season. Mitchell-Lawson has also had a handful of good games and as I said Young showed a lot of promise at the beginning before he wanted back down the road. It’s a pretty good ratio tbh and our summer window was one of the best we’ve had in a long time. You aren’t going to get better at this level when you consider how much work we had to do to rebuild the shite left behind. 

54 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

I have a feeling our increased league prize money and probably our fee for Dipo will be enough to up grade our squad by five or so starters 

Imagine if the club hadn't pished a couple of hundred thousand against the wall in Grangemouth.

Can’t believe that people are trying to argue that our summer business wasn’t a success - we scraped eighth last season and are currently third. Our recruitment has largely very good since Mathie came on board. 

There is a middle ground between happy clapping and hysterical negativity after every single loss. And yes, I was part of that hysterical negativity after the Falkirk game. 

11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Comical Ali / Baghdad Bob | Know Your Meme

An eighth placed side signing Musonda, Kirk, Chalmers, Mullin, Dempsey and Akinyemi is very very good summer business.

January clearly wasn’t as good, but they can’t get everything right and we were never going to be able to replace the quality of Chalmers. 

I have to say, it's non-sensical to argue that the summer window wasn't good. The winter window was atrocious despite signing Mullen. This should maybe have been expected as we prioritised the summer window from a budget perspective.

I do think we neglected areas of the squad badly. Left back and right back and central midfield. I was going to say upfront but I'd forgotten about Maguire.

I am still left thinking if you took Dipo out of the team, where would we be?