The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wasn’t expecting Bullen to bring Murdoch on against Falkirk. However we had Smith and Hewitt on the bench as well and one of them should’ve been on to help the midfield get back into the game. Bullen has to take the flak for not making a change when we needed it. 

Hewitt was cup tied but given we lost the midfield battle after 20 minutes Smith should have been on early second half. 

Thought we were making it at HT when the subs disappeared and took ages to reappear but wishful  thinking as Bullen tactically seems less proactive more reactive. 

1 minute ago, GaryMc93 said:

Hewitt was cup tied but given we lost the midfield battle after 20 minutes Smith should have been on early second half. 

Thought we were making it at HT when the subs disappeared and took ages to reappear but wishful  thinking as Bullen tactically seems less proactive more reactive. 

A fair enough on Hewitt but aye Smith should’ve been on. He’s tactically naive a lot of the times but yet there’s been times that he’s made proactive changes that have helped influence games. I think his mantra of players playing hard and the results will come is wearing thin though. I don’t think anyone could criticise a lack of effort from anyone this season but you need more than sheer determination to win a league. We were getting by as we had match winners playing at a minimum of 8/10 every week but when we lost Chalmers and then the form of Dipo and Mullin drops it shows where our weaknesses are. 

4 hours ago, Nelson said:

Why on earth did we not bring him on against Falkirk???

Because he was not fit enough to play on Monday , 4 days extra recovery certainly helped , on bench just to get back into warm up and match day routine 

55 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Because he was not fit enough to play on Monday , 4 days extra recovery certainly helped , on bench just to get back into warm up and match day routine 

That isn’t really credible.  He’s a very experienced player now who was only out for 2 months, so I doubt he needed to be put on the bench just to remind him of his match day routine.  In the case of a very short term injury such as bruising or a dead leg, I can see that 4 days might make a big difference.  But not for a longer term injury - he probably only had 2/3 training sessions between Monday and Saturday which wouldn’t make the difference between being able to play no part at all on Monday and effectively playing the full 90 minutes yesterday.

Either way, Paul Smith was also available and ought to have been used if Murdoch’s presence on the bench was purely a cosmetic exercise.

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

That isn’t really credible.  He’s a very experienced player now who was only out for 2 months, so I doubt he needed to be put on the bench just to remind him of his match day routine.  In the case of a very short term injury such as bruising or a dead leg, I can see that 4 days might make a big difference.  But not for a longer term injury - he probably only had 2/3 training sessions between Monday and Saturday which wouldn’t make the difference between being able to play no part at all on Monday and effectively playing the full 90 minutes yesterday.

Either way, Paul Smith was also available and ought to have been used if Murdoch’s presence on the bench was purely a cosmetic exercise.

I’m fairly certain that Bullen and the coaches know how to manage a players injury better than any of us. I’m not at all arsed about Murdoch being kept on the bench on Monday as it probably wasn’t the best time to throw him back in when we were getting hammered in midfield. However I agree that Paul Smith should’ve came on. Might not have worked but Bullen would probably have escaped with half the criticism had he been seen to be trying to influence the game. 

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Tuesday will be quite instructive.

Suprisingly we have the best away record in the league. (26 points from 14 games). 

Dundee are quite mean defensively and they ragdolled us up there earlier in the season. We barely put a glove on them that day, they were just quicker and stronger.

It will be a real measure of where we are and what is still possible this season.

I'm not entirely confident of three points but Dundee are no great shakes in their current guise. How Luke McCowan can't get a game for them is beyond me. 

5 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I'm not entirely confident of three points but Dundee are no great shakes in their current guise. How Luke McCowan can't get a game for them is beyond me. 

Because he's not very good.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

You can send him back in the summer. 

He'll be out of contract and I'm not sure we'll be offering him a deal so feel free to pick him up anytime.

46 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

It's a free shot at the end of the day, we haven't got a great record against them (especially at Dens) however they're certainly beatable and their recent form is actually worse than our own.

Ultimately, even if we get stuffed, we'll still be a point ahead of Thistle and 3 points ahead of Morton and with a far superior goal difference over both with a very winnable home game coming up against Cove, so all in all things are pretty good just now.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

It's a free shot at the end of the day, we haven't got a great record against them (especially at Dens) however they're certainly beatable and their recent form is actually worse than our own.

Ultimately, even if we get stuffed, we'll still be a point ahead of Thistle and 3 points ahead of Morton and with a far superior goal difference over both with a very winnable home game coming up against Cove, so all in all things are pretty good just now.

A free shot would be if we had very little to play for. If we win on Tuesday then we’ve found ourselves with a very real chance of challenging QP. It also pushes us further away from 5th. 

As I’ve said, I’m only looking at fourth so I’d be happy with a point and then hopefully a convincing win against Cove. 

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He'll be out of contract and I'm not sure we'll be offering him a deal so feel free to pick him up anytime.

I just can’t believe it’s not worked out for him this season. I had him down as a potential POTY in the summer for this league. 

Can we just agree that the team we put out yesterday is the team we should be aiming to field for the remaining games? Only real debate is about Kirk and Houston in for certain games. 

In terms of out of contract players I think the only ones left I’d want to see signed up are potentially McKenzie and McAllister. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can we just agree that the team we put out yesterday is the team we should be aiming to field for the remaining games? Only real debate is about Kirk and Houston in for certain games. 

In terms of out of contract players I think the only ones left I’d want to see signed up are potentially McKenzie and McAllister. 

Agree with this broadly but we need to be better than 'this worked last week' so we'll try it again. I'd like to see us be a bit more proactive in that regard. Tweaking the system as necessary dependent on who we are playing.

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I'd keep the 433/451 as it gives us more bodies and hopefully more control in midfield.