The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye, win on Tuesday and we are back in the title mix which is fucking wild. Huge ask though!

The squad deserve huge credit for today, and amazingly the 4-3-3 does work when you use the midfield

Bullen right now...Brag Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

Really good performance today. We're in complete control from 1st minute to last. Daire O'Connor gave their fullback a torrid time and if his decision making in the final third was a bit better we could of have 4 or 5 today.

We really needed a top performance and result after Monday night and fair play to the players they delivered that. Massive game now at Dens Park on Tuesday. Anything less than a win and our title race is over. If playoffs is the target then a draw would be fine on the understanding we beat Cove on Friday night. 

34 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Why on earth did we not bring him on against Falkirk???

It might have made a huge difference but then you could also ask why Musonda raised his arm ? why did Dempsey not get the penalty ? why did Dipo and others miss a couple of sitters when we were 1-0 up ? What about Daire being unjustly suspended ??

That's Football, it was bloody disappointing and all in all it was a terrible display but ultimately Falkirk worked harder, gave their all and thoroughly deserved to go through, so I hope the guys have learned their lessons and now we just have to concentrate on what's ahead and hopefully we'll secure the top 3 (or even 4) finish that we've deserved on the balance of play over this season.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Fair question for Bullen.

He hadn't played for a couple of Months and was obviously lacking match sharpness, although he DID play very well yesterday.

As you know yourself though, he may or may not have made a difference on Monday, but had he played and we had lost, the accusations would then have been about "throwing him straight in after a lay off", "clearly wasn't match fit or match sharp", I also believe that had it been McGinty who had hand balled it or caused the deflected goal that he would have been truly slaughtered and it would have been all about "why did Kirk not play ?" etc, etc.

I'm not defending Bullen as such but just trying to get a bit of a reality check on things and ultimately had the 11 guys that started and the subs who came on played to their ability then we WOULD have beaten Falkirk with or without Murdoch but ultimately they didn't and we failed.

I must admit I'm also very glad to see Ashford performing well over the past few games given the slaughtering that he's also taken (unjustly in my opinion) from many on here.

Anyway, that's 2 wins from 2 away games including one against one of our closest rivals, so there's every reason for us all to start being happy again, especially as we've got a fully fit squad and even managed to show some good football on the deck yesterday.

All good.......

The main talking points about Monday, Dempsey, Musonda etc were not even the biggest problems about that game, but they're the ones that stick out the most so folk will focus on them. Anyway better sticking that game to the bin now, been talked to the death. Still pissed of though. 

No idea where we're going to finish up. QP nearly have it sewn up I'd say and you'd think Dundee would get 2nd but a win there on Tuesday and who knows. Another massive game but we know how that usually goes 

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

He hadn't played for a couple of Months and was obviously lacking match sharpness, although he DID play very well yesterday.

As you know yourself though, he may or may not have made a difference on Monday, but had he played and we had lost, the accusations would then have been about "throwing him straight in after a lay off", "clearly wasn't match fit or match sharp", I also believe that had it been McGinty who had hand balled it or caused the deflected goal that he would have been truly slaughtered and it would have been all about "why did Kirk not play ?" etc, etc.

I'm not defending Bullen as such but just trying to get a bit of a reality check on things and ultimately had the 11 guys that started and the subs who came on played to their ability then we WOULD have beaten Falkirk with or without Murdoch but ultimately they didn't and we failed.

I must admit I'm also very glad to see Ashford performing well over the past few games given the slaughtering that he's also taken (unjustly in my opinion) from many on here.

Anyway, that's 2 wins from 2 away games including one against one of our closest rivals, so there's every reason for us all to start being happy again, especially as we've got a fully fit squad and even managed to show some good football on the deck yesterday.

All good.......

Ashford was dropped for being mince, but to his credit he has performed well when he got his chance. 

I wasn’t expecting Bullen to bring Murdoch on against Falkirk. However we had Smith and Hewitt on the bench as well and one of them should’ve been on to help the midfield get back into the game. Bullen has to take the flak for not making a change when we needed it. 

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Ashford was dropped for being mince, but to his credit he has performed well when he got his chance. 

I don’t think he was tbf? He was dropped as we had better options by that point. We started the season well when he played. 

43 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

All good.......

We’re not helpless children though.  Outcomes can be influenced.  By early in the 2nd half we’d completely lost the midfield and had options to change that.  Murdoch’s performance yesterday suggested he could have given us 30 minutes or so which might have steadied the ship.    I think that’s what upset so many people on Monday - not that we lost, but that we did so little to help ourselves.

"Substitutions are just a random part of the cosmos, no more under man's influence than the tides" is certainly a novel defence. Fortunately it was partnered with that old staple "you'd have booed if he'd made the subs", it being a totally rational mindset that the reason that people want Ayr to play better is so that they can boo them harder.

Tuesday will be quite instructive.

Suprisingly we have the best away record in the league. (26 points from 14 games). 

Dundee are quite mean defensively and they ragdolled us up there earlier in the season. We barely put a glove on them that day, they were just quicker and stronger.

It will be a real measure of where we are and what is still possible this season.