The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

38 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Dempsey getting a constant free ride has always bewildered me. We probably have the worst midfield in the division at the moment. One man can’t do it all but he hasn’t even done anything of note recently for me except score a few penalties.

I actually agree with this to an extent.

Since the win away to Hamilton the midfield has pretty much been non existent(barring occasional glimpses like Cove away).It started well the other night but then totally collapsed when Falkirk started pressing and getting in their faces. 

As soon as the centre mid disappears the shelling it up the park starts. McGinty is particularly guilty of it but I'm no sure if he's told to do it or if he's the only one looking for the ball while the full backs and wingers just blend in to the background. 

We certainly could do with extra bodies in the middle. Possibly 4-2-3-1 with Dempsey and possibly McAllister as the 2 as Nick might provide a bit more dig in there and Murdoch,Maguire/Ashford and O Connor/JML as the 3. Maguire and O Connor should be able to get up alongside Dipo when we are on the front foot. Ashford offers more defensively. 

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

What stats?  Kirk is obviously still inexperienced, but in terms of raw talent he is miles ahead of either Musonda or McGinty.  It’s not that long ago we were crying in our beer because we thought he was injured long term, now we’ve dropped him to accommodate a guy who can’t defend a high ball.  Baffled as to how anyone can think Musonda played well on Monday when we looked so vulnerable and panic stricken at every corner kick, which ultimately culminated in that absurd hand ball.   A lack of confidence in McAdams might have contributed too.

Either way, restoring Musonda is not going to address the serious shortcomings in other parts of the team.

Successful defensive actions per 90:

Musonda: 12.75

McGinty: 10.53

Kirk: 10.31

Defensive duels per 90:

Musonda: 8.22 (73.91% won)

McGinty: 5.74 (69.7% won) 

Kirk: 6.17 (77.97% won) 

Aerial duels per 90:

Musonda: 9.53 (63.13 % won) 

McGinty: 9.87 (66.52% won) 

Kirk: 7.01 (64.18% won) 

Shots blocked per 90:

Musonda: 0.71

Kirk: 0.99

McGinty: 0.52

Interceptions: 

Musonda: 9

Kirk: 6.89

McGinty: 8.66

In terms of passing stats Musonda comes out on top of pretty much everything. Kirk’s distribution isn’t any better than McGinty’s which I found very interesting and shows how you can become blinded to something. Kirk obviously has an ability to drive out with the ball that McGinty hasn’t though and clearly is technically better on the ball. It’s quite hard in terms of our style of play as Kirk can probably play the role of a ball playing centre half better, but we don’t play like that. 

Had a quick look at a few other CB’s at other clubs at the top of the league and Musonda compares favourably or close to all. 

22 minutes ago, Aliayr76 said:

You don't play football on stat's it's in the ground and when we play on the ground we Look and play better.

Don’t see what this has to do with defensive stats tbh. 

A stat isn’t some magical thing created from nowhere, it is based on what happens on the pitch and points you in the right direction alongside what you can see with your eyes. 

2 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Bless. Thank you, thankyou. Number 7 Pit in the background.

The photo was from Cowdenbeath 2 Ayr United 0 on 3rd September, 1949 (League Cup). I borrowed it from John Christie and got it copied. He is the goalkeeper in the photo. The stamp on the back was West Fife Press. Here is another from that game. 

3rd September 1949 Cowdenbeath away - Kane 10 McNeil 5 Christie goalkeeper.jpg

Edited by Caledonian

36 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Don’t see what this has to do with defensive stats tbh. 

A stat isn’t some magical thing created from nowhere, it is based on what happens on the pitch and points you in the right direction alongside what you can see with your eyes. 

Is there a stat to show how many times McGinty hoofs a clearance? I'm not laying the blame at his door but on Monday night he had 4 or 5 of these to end the first half!

Oh well, Thank Christ I was over in Tenerife and missed that debacle on Monday night !!

I've just caught up on the chat and I'm still trying to work out what the biggest gripe is (apart from being pumped out the cup obviously by a lower league side) and I reckon it's probably as much to do with our performances and style as the results over the past few months.

How we fix that is of course another issue entirely. 

Is it Bullen to blame for his coaching / playing style ? or is it the players that we have just don't have that sort of ability ? or is it their character as they have all seemed so passive recently (with the exception of McAllister) ?

I honestly think that we're massively missing Murdoch but even at that will Murdoch alone change our style and give us more control in matches or do we really need a right hard b*****d in the middle of the park ?? Or are our current squad just too nice ???

I don't know if it's just me but I always think there's too little chat on the pitch between the players and there's nobody to really pick them up when the heads go down, strangely it seemed different at the start of the season but recently they just seem to be going through the motions which I find really strange.

Like others mentioned, I do think Bullen needs a full time assistant now, but talk of bagging him is a bit crazy given our season and the fact that we'd undoubtedly end up with another "failed" Scottish championship merry go round character and relegation would be far more likely than any sort of glory run to the Premier.

Again, looking at the stats, it isn't a bad season given our budget and expectations after last year but of course things had been going so well and now it does all seem to be unravelling, of course to spin it the other way, had we scored the penalty at 1-1, then there's every chance we'd have gone through and of course manage to win our next game or two and we'd be back up challenging for the league, so all in all I do believe it's more the performances than the bare results recently that are really scunnering everyone just now.

Anyway, things are certainly never Dull as an Ayr fan......

4 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Is there a stat to show how many times McGinty hoofs a clearance? I'm not laying the blame at his door but on Monday night he had 4 or 5 of these to end the first half!

Haha, I imagine there is - I’ll have a look. Having a wee look at Dempsey v McAlear v McGinn on Monday night right now - with so many of us commenting on Dempsey and McAlear I thought it would be interesting how they compared to each other as well as to someone who is an actual midfield player. 

I thought @WATTOO had been unusually quiet.

On the tactics, it's Bullen, I don't believe the players are just limited and revert to hoppyball when under pressure. 

I think a proper old heid in an assistant manager would be a good idea. That said, Bullen had the chance to bring someone in and opted to stick with what he had. Too much of Hopkin's kick and rush backroom remain for me. 

I think Bullen will get next season come what may so this is all rather academic tbh.

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I thought @WATTOO had been unusually quiet.

On the tactics, it's Bullen, I don't believe the players are just limited and revert to hoppyball when under pressure. 

I think a proper old heid in an assistant manager would be a good idea. That said, Bullen had the chance to bring someone in and opted to stick with what he had. Too much of Hopkin's kick and rush backroom remain for me. 

I think Bullen will get next season come what may so this is all rather academic tbh.

Maybe Robbo is on holiday too.

56 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Every time McAdams had the ball on Monday, it didn't matter which one of the back 4 he rolled it out to, it ended up with McGinty, who would wander forward a bit before hoofing it forward to no one in particular. I don't remember seeing anyone else hoofing it, it was specifically McGinty. It definitely must be a tactic as if you were anyone else in the back 4 you would stop passing it to McGinty as you know what he is going to do with it

Just now, honestly united said:

Every time McAdams had the ball on Monday, it didn't matter which one of the back 4 he rolled it out to, it ended up with McGinty, who would wander forward a bit before hoofing it forward to no one in particular. I don't remember seeing anyone else hoofing it, it was specifically McGinty. It definitely must be a tactic as if you were anyone else in the back 4 you would stop passing it to McGinty as you know what he is going to do with it

Yep.  Also noticed McGinty acting as quarterback, and not for the first time either.  I’m sure he believes that he can spray a pass or two but when the opposition mark Dipo out of the game, it completely renders that pointless.

12 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Maybe Robbo is on holiday too.

No still here , just disappointed at how we went out but know most people feel the same way , agree with a number of posters  comments and feel it’s not worth debating some of the other stuff that the usual glass half empty posters continue to post 

Edited by Finlay21

You can criticise most of the players this season but Musonda isn’t one of them. He’s hardly put a foot wrong all season and our season nose dived when he got injured. It’s also some amount of whataboutery to say he was Raiths fourth choice centre half when he was injured for the majority of last season and lost his place due to that. 

We might have to look carefully at our centre backs next season as we won’t have Kirk back and I’d probably be letting McAllister go. Two in would be needed as we’d only have McGinty and Musonda. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You can criticise most of the players this season but Musonda isn’t one of them. He’s hardly put a foot wrong all season and our season nose dived when he got injured. It’s also some amount of whataboutery to say he was Raiths fourth choice centre half when he was injured for the majority of last season and lost his place due to that. 

We might have to look carefully at our centre backs next season as we won’t have Kirk back and I’d probably be letting McAllister go. Two in would be needed as we’d only have McGinty and Musonda. 

Cant criticise Musonda for the way he has performed this season , but why oh why was his hand up there on Monday if we don’t give away a stupid penalty we win the game I believe ( again if we could have scored our penalty we certainly win and nothing would have been mentioned about how we played the previous 84 minutes 

32 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Cant criticise Musonda for the way he has performed this season , but why oh why was his hand up there on Monday if we don’t give away a stupid penalty we win the game I believe ( again if we could have scored our penalty we certainly win and nothing would have been mentioned about how we played the previous 84 minutes 

Come on, we were absolutely rotten for 65 minutes - you can’t just put it all on the two penalties.

I don’t for a second believe that there wouldn’t have been posts on here about how rubbish we were even if Maguire scored his penalty.