The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Jeff Venom said:

We'd have drawn Rangers and Caley would've drawn Celtic had we made it through. Anyone with even a notional amount of braincells knows how the draw works. 

So Falkirk are the factor that stopped this conspiracy from happening then? 

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Ah, Cowdenbeath. What league are they in now?

We've lost a Scottish Cup Quarter Final, Away from Home, in a game where on another day the result could have been different.

Let's go back to 2006 - 2007, and three consecutive Home games against Cowden 'fookin' beath.

12 August 2006             Ayr United 0  Cowdenbeath 4

24 February 2007         Ayr United 0  Cowdenbeath 2

1 December 2007         Ayr United 1   Cowdenbeath 4

Can't remember which one of those Games the Club sent hordes of Stewards and Police to the Somerset Road End.

Monday Night was a sore one, but it was a bloody pamper-session at a Spa Resort compared to the above.

30 minutes ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

We've lost a Scottish Cup Quarter Final, Away from Home, in a game where on another day the result could have been different.

Let's go back to 2006 - 2007, and three consecutive Home games against Cowden 'fookin' beath.

Can't remember which one of those Games the Club sent hordes of Stewards and Police to the Somerset Road End.

Monday Night was a sore one, but it was a bloody pamper-session at a Spa Resort compared to the above.

Bane of my life at one point those wee dicks.

36 minutes ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

Thankfully, we don't have to Deal with the Cowdenb*****ds any time soon. Falkirk will get promoted though, and they'll remind Ayr of the Quarter final loss, in more than one way, I'm certain of it 😒

42 minutes ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

I was there and also present for the best ever Cowdenbeath 9  Ayr United 2

7 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Thankfully, we don't have to Deal with the Cowdenb*****ds any time soon. Falkirk will get promoted though, and they'll remind Ayr of the Quarter final loss, in more than one way, I'm certain of it 😒

Yeah next year will be a very tough league.  Lot of work going to be needed in the summer to be competitive in the Championship and not just fall away back to League One.  Starters needed for all 4 wide positions and someone to do 60/75% of what Dipo has done and replacing any others that go.  More concerned about that than how we get on against Hamilton on Saturday tbh.

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Yeah next year will be a very tough league.  Lot of work going to be needed in the summer to be competitive in the Championship and not just fall away back to League One.  Starters needed for all 4 wide positions and someone to do 60/75% of what Dipo has done and replacing any others that go.  More concerned about that than how we get on against Hamilton on Saturday tbh.

Aye this tbh. Hopefully if Dipo goes we get a good fee for him, added to (hopefully) the money from a top four finish - there's not much guarantee of that but you never know with how poor this league is.

Right now I'd bite your hand off for mid table obscurity (if there is such a thing) next year in this league. Especially considering we will likely have a lot of this squad still on the books.

As you say, wide players and full backs desperately needed.

Edited by AuAl

A common theme seems to be that we feel just as shit a few days later this time the same as we did v Alloa. I remember that Alloa day so clearly. Couldnt watch the game as my ex was wanting to go to a buffet 🤣 kept checking the score in the restaurant and was raging when we got beat. Didnt even want to stuff my face which was rare back then. Days later I was still low key raging and went along v Albion Rovers more as a chore than anything else.

Thankfully everything turned out alright then. This season I think the only thing that can save it is getting to the play offs and not going out first round as per. I've not missed a home game in about 5 seasons now but seriously might give Raith a bye knowing we could and should have been at Hampden that weekend. 

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Anyone know how much we've roughly missed out on, financially, after that debacle the other night? 

Well a full Hampden given we would have played Rangers, the money for progressing, also the game will be on Via Play so maybe TV money as well? Fcking scunnering amount to be missing out on 

Still feeling pretty scunnered by Monday night but I'm old enough that this doesn't feel quite as bad as losing the Scottish Cup semi to Rangers in 72-73 or the League Cup semi to Dundee in 80-81. We suffered some poor refereeing decisions in both and the latter in particular is probably the most miserable I've ever been after a game.

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Well a full Hampden given we would have played Rangers, the money for progressing, also the game will be on Via Play so maybe TV money as well? Fcking scunnering amount to be missing out on 

Indeed, mind when we didn't get past the league cup stages at the beginning of the season under McCall and we were all moaning about missing out on the extra cash and the new player/s it would have allowed us to bring in. that's just pennies compared to this.

This could very well be the biggest financial f**k up we've had as a result of on pitch activities. I'm  not even sure the relegation was as big.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Indeed, mind when we didn't get past the league cup stages at the beginning of the season under McCall and we were all moaning about missing out on the extra cash and the new player/s it would have allowed us to bring in. that's just pennies compared to this.

This could very well be the biggest financial f**k up we've had as a result of on pitch activities. I'm  not even sure the relegation was as big.

Aye an utter disgrace. Factor in that money and solid offers for Dipo in the summer, we could have easily banked a million. 

It’s weird that while this feels like so much more than a standard defeat, the margins were still so small - the penalty conceded - the missed penalty - the deflected winner

So it CAN be argued that we were unlucky, however, the vast majority of us here feel that it was much more than that, and we more or less opened up that door to allow the defeat, when we should have slammed it shut.

I’m less upset about what happened as opposed to the decisions that weren’t made - especially about formation, tactics and lack of subs.

And while I don’t want to point the finger at Bullen, I don’t see any other option.

Better team won bud

1 minute ago, AUFC 1910 said:

It’s weird that while this feels like so much more than a standard defeat, the margins were still so small - the penalty conceded - the missed penalty - the deflected winner

So it CAN be argued that we were unlucky, however, the vast majority of us here feel that it was much more than that, and we more or less opened up that door to allow the defeat, when we should have slammed it shut.

I’m less upset about what happened as opposed to the decisions that weren’t made - especially about formation, tactics and lack of subs.

And while I don’t want to point the finger at Bullen, I don’t see any other option.

If he doesn’t lead us to promotion, having spent a large chunk of the season at the top of the league, for me it’s failure regardless of the parameters set at the start of the season.

It also shows that the manager is not the man to take us up, which will be evident in what will undoubtedly be a much tougher league next season.

I think if we finish outside the top 4 he will be gone.

If we scrape into the top 4, but whimper out of the playoffs, he should be gone.

Only winning the league, promotion via the playoffs or consistency to the end of the season and finishing 2nd or 3rd, with a decent showing in the playoffs, should he remain for next season.

I just don’t see the tactician in the manager.  I may be wrong, but I haven’t seen the evidence on the pitch.