The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

37 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Fourth is a real possibility but would you fancy this lot in a two legged playoff? I'm not sure and yet we've beaten everyone (bar ICT) in the division so shouldn't fear anyone. A bit of a weird season all told.

Edit - A final thought. Without Dipo where would we be?

This squad won't be getting promoted through the play offs. I would obviously love to be wrong, but it's not happening.

I want a play off place for the additional prize money it would give us for next season's build. What is totally mental, considering how limited the quality of our squad is and how shite we've been, is that I still think we have a decent enough chance of finishing in the top four. Not sure on this seasons precise numbers but in previous seasons the difference between 4th and 5th was 75k, the difference between 3rd and 5th was 150k.

If we can manage to scrape into 3rd or 4th then much like Adeloye last season, we have a lot to thank Dipo for.

53 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I feel more low this morning than what I did after the game.

For as poor Lee Bullen can be and the lack of faith I truly have in him, there's players getting in that side and I don't know how. 

I think every team we've played over the past couple of months has sussed out how bad Reading is, such a let down this season and I can't see that changing. If McLear never played for us again I would honestly be quite content, the game totally passes him by. Bullen used the natural talent of Chalmers and Mullen out wide to see us through and without them, we look devoid of any idea, McKenzie was woeful last night. 

McAlear has shown in flashes what he can do, and was good in the first thirty minutes. No one would want to play central midfield in our side - it must be horrific. Outnumbered and fired over your head every single game. 

ETA, it’s not often football truly affects me - usually stop caring very quickly. The Alloa game under McCall when Moore missed the penalty left me absolutely gutted for days. The anger is dissipating now, and I’m just absolutely gutted at the chance we have just blown. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Well that's my Tuesday fecked. Musonda had a dire night but I don't blame him. Bullen really needs to answer why he didn't change any personnel until it was too late. Anyone could see that things needed changed from half time. Just really gutted after a brilliant first 25 mins. Resorting to hoppyball was crazy, and Bullen must shoulder the blame for this. I doubt I will see a better chance of a final in my lifetime. These come along in a similar timescale as Halley's comet. 

Nah, changed my mind - still raging. 

2-1 down in the last five minutes and you take off one of the very few creative players you have in your team. I’m sure he could have managed another few minutes, and someone such as Reading could have been sacrificed. 

9 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Guessing big Dipo will be off in the summer?

Genuinely thought after the first 15/20 we could be in for a doing but the long ball game was closed down and stopped any service to Dipo who was great. Is that generally how you guys play? Didn’t expect that from Bullen

Why not? He was hardly a flair player.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Name names - who the f**k said those things. 

Best cup run, we beat fucking Pollok, Elgin and Cove 😂

Let’s just say two of them I have never seen at a game in my life which tells you all you need to know about their opinions.

46 minutes ago, Ayrfix said:

Well that's my Tuesday fecked. Musonda had a dire night but I don't blame him. Bullen really needs to answer why he didn't change any personnel until it was too late. Anyone could see that things needed changed from half time. Just really gutted after a brilliant first 25 mins. Resorting to hoppyball was crazy, and Bullen must shoulder the blame for this. I doubt I will see a better chance of a final in my lifetime. These come along in a similar timescale as Halley's comet. 

It annoys me when folk shout HOOF every time McGinty gets the ball. We have no ball playing midfielders. We have no one to take the ball off him and move it forward.

McGinty gets the ball and the forwards belt up the park, opposition then cover the full backs and centre half’s, leaving him with two options, a mazy run up the park or try and pick a player out with a long ball. We don’t offer out balls to him. A simple pass.

Mark Kerr took the ball off of Adams and Docherty who weren’t the best at picking a pass. We don’t have someone who can dictate a game. 

We needed to beef up the midfield but when you look at the bench, we have two young players that haven’t really done it, Murdoch who is just back from Injury and McCallister who can play in midfield. We simply don’t have the players. 

We will never be as lucky again to get as easy a cup run as we have this season, and we very nearly lucked out last night with that penalty too as we score that and we probably win. But when most of your team is posted as either missing or ineffective then you can't have any complaints.

Remember at the beginning of the season how Bullen talked about how win or lose, as long as the team gave everything then the fans would stick by them. Haven't heard that in a while.

12 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It's a good thing we're out the cup? I never thought of that. I feel much better about last night now.

Hide contents

Just kidding. I'm still fuming.

I was in fear of getting an absolute doing off of one of the old firm again. Previous years you could think that another team could knock either of them out or that you had an outside chance of winning but it doesn’t look like teams have much of a chance now.

Its amazing how up and down things can go so quickly. The standard of the championship has been much lower lower this year and we have benefitted from this. Expectations have grown very quickly. Over the piece looking at where we were when Bullen took over and where we are now that does deserve praise though can be mitigated against what I have just said.  The middle of midfield is our big weakness I don't have confidence in it so not surprised the manager feels the same and more should have been done to fill that area.  The rest of the squad we have a core there that we can build on and longer contracts is way to go for proper stability at the club. 

For Bullen we really need to at least make the play offs and getting to semi final of play offs would be a good season.  Next season is going much tougher I would expect both Dunfermline and Falkirk to come up and with much bigger budget that us and same with premier team that comes down and I expect one of QP or Dundee to be in our league next season. So long as Bullen is happy and committed then I would happy to give him another season. Though can understand if being away from his family will start to take its toll. In fairness if he got us into play offs a year after us just staying up and a cup quarter final (draw helped) then on paper that looks good to a league 2 / conference team in England and that might suit his work life balance. 

Realistically next season with the teams I expect coming into the league a top half finish would be good season. Hopefully with new stand we can increase revenue opportunities and get squad signed on longer term contracts we can start to get fees in for players (percentage clauses probably the best earner longer term).  We need to build for the long term. We've not finished in top 3 in tier 2 in over 20 years and most of that time we have been stuck in tier 3 and part time. While the town is crumbling at least the football club are showing healthy signs of growth. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was in fear of getting an absolute doing off of one of the old firm again. Previous years you could think that another team could knock either of them out or that you had an outside chance of winning but it doesn’t look like teams have much of a chance now.

We may well have received a doing from one of the Arsecheeks in the semi-final, but we would have earned the right to play in the semi-final in the first place. 

Instead of earning the right to play in a semi-final, we threw a winnable tie away from a winning position. 

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It annoys me when folk shout HOOF every time McGinty gets the ball. We have no ball playing midfielders. We have no one to take the ball off him and move it forward.

McGinty gets the ball and the forwards belt up the park, opposition then cover the full backs and centre half’s, leaving him with two options, a mazy run up the park or try and pick a player out with a long ball. We don’t offer out balls to him. A simple pass.

Mark Kerr took the ball off of Adams and Docherty who weren’t the best at picking a pass. We don’t have someone who can dictate a game. 

We needed to beef up the midfield but when you look at the bench, we have two young players that haven’t really done it, Murdoch who is just back from Injury and McCallister who can play in midfield. We simply don’t have the players. 

Particularly when Murdoch plays, we have the players to control a game IMO. It is just a tactical choice. 

Completely correct in what you say though, the set up makes both the defenders and midfield look bad. I’m not actually sure who it benefits at times. 

12 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

McAlear was invisible tonight, so we had Dempsey on his own in midfield again. We got overran and a huge gap appeared behind the front 4 and the defence. Lumping the ball up the park means it is just coming back at us unchallenged.

This happened against Queens Park and Thistle. We could have brought in a defensive midfielder in the window but we sent one ghost to Cove and brought in a literal ghost in McAlear.

Im not critical of McGuire or any of the forward players, Or Musonda for that matter, to sit and watch us chase shadows for over an hour is on Bullen and the back room staff who didn’t fix the whole in the middle of the park.

McAlear is bad for hiding.  His free kicks are superb but he has the heart of a pea.