The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It was either Ashord or JML. Considering he played well it was the right call. The Frankie sub was anything but defensive. It was to try and push Reading up without leaving us totally exposed. Even so, most managers would be happy with a point when down to ten men. Most fans as well. 

JML was nowhere to be seen. Wasn't on the Bench or involved in training before the match. Boyo and I met him on the train and he was asleep when we arrived in Ayr 🤔 Must have an injury or something.

7 hours ago, Aliayr76 said:

Same old same old every season,

Why did thay no bring in more players in the winter window it's ok saying they didn't want to bring in folk Incase it upset the dressing room but surely with the players going back to there clubs that must have known that the squad wisny big enough.

We spent the vast majority of the available budget in the Summer window. With excess funds (Cup run) being retained for next season. The club have been quite clear about that.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Great to see McGuffie score a hat trick, but he doesn’t seem to play much of a part generally at Falkirk.  Very much doubt they’ll retain him whether they come up or not.  Kind of sounds like the McGuffie we know - fantastic ability and capable of scoring some amazing goals, but just never able to put it all together into a consistent package.  I daresay he’ll score the winner next week though.

Sounds about right. 

Behind Morrison and Kennedy for a place and fair play to him, comes off the bench and does this..⬇️⬇️

Thought we were playing well enough yesterday and looked capable of getting a result.  Red card inevitably hobbled us.  Hopefully some footage emerges soon.  I get that the recent form has been poor, but some of the comments about yesterday’s match are a bit silly.  We had to play for 60 minutes a man down - I’d say it’s perfectly normal to accept a point as being reasonable damage limitation.  If anything, I thought the decision to go 3 at the back was an attempt to try and take the game to Inverness which immediately backfired on us.

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Hopefully some footage emerges soon.  

Did Inverness have their cameras at the game? You'll be waiting a while for Ayr to put out the highlights! At least the quality of them is now matching the performance on the pitch. 

I wasn't at the game but going down to 10 men from 30 mins is always going to be a struggle.

It's not yesterday's result that has dropped us out the top 4. Technically it is, but by all accounts (from what I've read) there were some positives unlike Queens Park away, Partick at home and to a lesser extent Raith away. They are the games that have hobbled us.

All that being said we need something from Tuesday. Preferably a win! Lose on Tuesday and I think any outside chance of the title goes. Top 4 will be a real scrap by the looks of it. Just to demonstrate, 4 games ago we were 6 points ahead of Partick we're now 3 points behind them. We have 1 point from 4 and they have 10 points. We need our run of that sort of points haul to stay in this.

Any update on Murdoch?

Edited by Trogdor

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

Thought we were playing well enough yesterday and looked capable of getting a result.  Red card inevitably hobbled us.  Hopefully some footage emerges soon.  I get that the recent form has been poor, but some of the comments about yesterday’s match are a bit silly.  We had to play for 60 minutes a man down - I’d say it’s perfectly normal to accept a point as being reasonable damage limitation.  If anything, I thought the decision to go 3 at the back was an attempt to try and take the game to Inverness which immediately backfired on us.

Inverness assistant thought it was "VERY HARSH" AND Bullen confirmed we're appealing it and 100% convinced that it will be overturned.

I think that says it all.

I got a message from someone who's apparently seen it in close up and they said there was zero contact and that Daire was pushed from behind towards the oncoming player.

Also, if you look at the photo in the Sunday Mail this morning it shows the Ref pulling the Red Card and the Inverness player looking fearful / downbeat as he (LIKE US) assumed it was him that was being sent off and NOT Daire !!

43 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Inverness assistant thought it was "VERY HARSH" AND Bullen confirmed we're appealing it and 100% convinced that it will be overturned.

I think that says it all.

I got a message from someone who's apparently seen it in close up and they said there was zero contact and that Daire was pushed from behind towards the oncoming player.

Also, if you look at the photo in the Sunday Mail this morning it shows the Ref pulling the Red Card and the Inverness player looking fearful / downbeat as he (LIKE US) assumed it was him that was being sent off and NOT Daire !!

I’ll not lie, me and some around me cheered the red card as it could only have been for a foul on us :lol:

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

I’ll not lie, me and some around me cheered the red card as it could only have been for a foul on us :lol:

I said to the person next to me, “ho!, that was never a red card” and laughed…….then I saw McCallister put his hands on his head, took a good few seconds to work out what had happened 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I said to the person next to me, “ho!, that was never a red card” and laughed…….then I saw McCallister put his hands on his head, took a good few seconds to work out what had happened 

Never, ever, ever a red - ref needs huntin for that. No wonder we're appealing it. Thanks, ref - back to lower leagues you go.  

1 hour ago, Jazzar said:

Never, ever, ever a red - ref needs huntin for that. No wonder we're appealing it. Thanks, ref - back to lower leagues you go.  

It's rare to have such an obviously incorrect decision where I don't think a single person - opposition players, coaching staff, fans included - thought it was right. I would love to know if the linesman said anything to the ref or if it was so quick that he had already taken out the card before he could even say anything.

For the ref, clearly people can make mistakes and we all do that in our jobs from time to time, but the other 8 or 9 red cards he has dished out this season - how many of those were debatable? Where is the feedback from the observers to help these officials improve?

For the other incident - the challenge that saw Mullin go off - I didn't see it very clearly but was it just unlucky or was it a potential red card?

Finally, although I don't think we have any chance of finishing top I do think we have enough to make the play-offs particularly with Musonda and Murdoch back. I think we were a lot better in the Raith game and continued that into yesterday's game - and hopefully we can continue that progression.

I am now of the mindset that this season is what it is and I am not investing any more joy or heartache where we finish in the table.

However, if next season is the start of the promotion push, then this Falkirk game is MASSIVE, HUGE!!!

The revenue could mean the difference of 2 or 3 players that COULD make the difference next season.

That, and the real prospect that we could have Killie in with us.

I started to believe when we flirted with top position, but hey, that is just how it goes sometimes.

Bullen - just beat Falkirk please - just get the job done!!

Title was always going to be a tough one but the way the team has struggled the last month has been very disappointing given what they have shown they are capable of. Middle of the park was key area in January that we should have put a bit of investment in and brought in some experience and grit. 

There is a decent core there that we can take on to next season though I think the league will be a higher standard next year. I can see Dunfermline and possibly Falkirk coming up and both with double gates we have in a league with lot less travelling support, they will both have good budget, the team that comes down from the premiership I would expect to be a lot stronger than either Dundee or Queens park this season.  I think Cove will be bottom and whoever stays up out of Hamilton and Arbroath to be stronger next season. Morton seem to have found a manager that works well for limited resources they have. Inverness I expect to get a bit weaker given their location and crowds they get combined.  I think just about every team next season will have a realistic goal of competing for top 4. 

Budget wise we will likely be slightly above Hamilton and Morton and on par with Raith and ICT but behind 4 or 5 teams from Dunfermline, Falkirk, Dundee, Dundee utd, Ross County Killie, QP and Partick. 

Edited by grazza