The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Henderson got absolutely nothing out of McAllister in fairness and only scored when he was switched to the other side. 

Henderson is one of those players that opposition love to hate. He's a smarmy wee b*****d and I'm quite surprised that McAllister never stuck the nut in him.

He's up there with other players/former players I hate such as: Gus McPherson, Dean Shiels, Kanchelskis, Dean Sheils, Wullie Gibson and Dean Shiels.

Well this is turning into some laugh of a 2nd half of the season, bigger downfall than under McCall, we must be in the bottom 3 for form since 1st January?

We'll be lucky to scrape 4th IMO and can see Falkirk pumping us, Tuesday night gonna be some laugh with Ashford and McKenzie as wingers.

20 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Very very telling that.   

Aye I’m not sure what was going on but we hadn’t settled into the new shape and there seemed a mix up between Paddy and Frankie. 

Caley were there to be beaten at 1-1 and I can see why we changed shape but it was clear that we were either going to win or lose the game at that point. 

12 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Well this is turning into some laugh of a 2nd half of the season, bigger downfall than under McCall, we must be in the bottom 3 for form since 1st January?

We'll be lucky to scrape 4th IMO and can see Falkirk pumping us, Tuesday night gonna be some laugh with Ashford and McKenzie as wingers.

If we play them as wingers. If we play narrow with the 3 of them it works better. Ashford is a pain in the p***k rather than a goal scorer.
When you have Ambrose and Baird at the back, you don’t want to lump high balls at them, you want to put pressure on them by putting them on the back foot or getting on behind them. 

Dipo up front on his own would be pointless 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Had the ref reacted to the first two fouls, it wouldn’t have escalated. If refs actually played the game they would see that. McCallister gets tripped twice, both in full view of the linesman and gets nothing, Henderson then chips away at him with comments and hand gestures. McCallsiter was always going to send him skyward after that.  

One of them was a trip yes but the other McCallister tried to send him into the wall and missed and fell over. I love McCallister though he’s exactly the type of player I always wanted to be. An annoying wee b*****d.

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If we play them as wingers. If we play narrow with the 3 of them it works better. Ashford is a pain in the p***k rather than a goal scorer.
When you have Ambrose and Baird at the back, you don’t want to lump high balls at them, you want to put pressure on them by putting them on the back foot or getting on behind them. 

Dipo up front on his own would be pointless 

Aye I agree I’d have Dipo as the striker with Maguire just off him. McKenzie and Ashford either side of him just occupying space and helping out their full backs. 

As you said earlier we had actually found a way of playing with Ashford on the left and McKenzie up front. It wasn’t always pretty but we pressed teams hard and our goals generally came from winning the ball high up the pitch. Mullin and Chalmers came in and we made it work but we had to change to accommodate them. 

It will be a bit ironic if we revert back to Ashford and McKenzie and we start to pick back up again. We may have to if Mullin is out for a while. 

8 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Logan Chalmers an unused sub (again) for Tranmere today. Pretty annoying. 

Hadn't started a game since Ayr v Hamilton when I looked recently- assume still the same.  As you say, it's really annoying.  Has affected us big time and surely not doing him any good either 

On the bright side we've got Hamilton, Cove and Arbroath this month too so if we get maximum points from them then it at least sets us up for a tougher April. Although playing teams scrapping at the bottom may not be advantageous.

34 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

See Mcguffie got a hat-trick today 😬 Surely he won't be the one to put his starting team out the cup!

He was only on the park for 14 minutes!

Volleyed one in from the half way line with about his second touch of the game. Proper goal of the season stuff 

12 minutes ago, Baggio said:

He was only on the park for 14 minutes!

Volleyed one in from the half way line with about his second touch of the game. Proper goal of the season stuff 

Great to see McGuffie doing well. A local lad who I really wanted it to work out for. On his day he's capable of magic stuff.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McGuffie came to Moffats event at the Bellrock with Alan Forrest which I thought was good to see. 

Good to see, indeed.

I may be remembering it all wrong but did McCall not strongly encourage McGuffie to drop out of a pretty good uni course at the time in order to focus on football, much to the annoyance of some of the more senior players around at the time.

Edited by AuAl

2 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Good to see, indeed.

I may be remembering it all wrong but did McCall not strongly encourage McGuffie to drop out of a pretty good uni course at the time in order to focus on football, much to the annoyance of some of the more senior players around at the time.

Aye I’m sure he convinced him to drop out of uni to sign for us. Until that point he had been combining the two. Be interesting to see if he regrets that decision now although in fairness he’s doing okay playing full time in that league. 

And yes, Stevo went on OTB and slated McCall for apparently forcing a young player to sign full time for us under the promise of using him more. It’s important to remember though that Stevo took an instant dislike to McCall when he started dropping him and then refused to give him a new contract until he proved his fitness. No doubt he was in a bad place in his life but he had a sense of entitlement in that second spell and thought he was better than us. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No doubt he was in a bad place in his life but he had a sense of entitlement in that second spell and thought he was better than us.

At that point, Stevo had been and seen it all in the premiership. He always came across as Arrogant and moody 😐 Sort of agree with him regarding uni though, it's a big thing to just drop for the short career you would have in football. Mcguffie is doing brilliant and the way things look, he'll be back at this level next year 🤞 he does well.

Also convinced Stevo wears make up nowadays.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I’m sure he convinced him to drop out of uni to sign for us. Until that point he had been combining the two. Be interesting to see if he regrets that decision now although in fairness he’s doing okay playing full time in that league. 

And yes, Stevo went on OTB and slated McCall for apparently forcing a young player to sign full time for us under the promise of using him more. It’s important to remember though that Stevo took an instant dislike to McCall when he started dropping him and then refused to give him a new contract until he proved his fitness. No doubt he was in a bad place in his life but he had a sense of entitlement in that second spell and thought he was better than us. 

Ah yeah, now you mention it remember Stevo being vocal about it (although he didn't specifically mention Craig it was clear who he meant).

Aye Stevo was clearly at odds with McCall from the minute it became clear his fitness wasn't improving. From what he has said since he wasn't in a great place personally, but as you say his general attitude was questionable and he did seem to take any opportunity to dig out McCall afterwards.

He's also an idiotic anti-vax nutter. So there's that.