The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

We have a game in hand over Queens Park and still have to play them so we could still win the league.

Will we though? 

The form we are on and the form of others makes it more likely that Ayr will finish in a middle pack of Inverness and Raith. 
The comments from Bullen in recent weeks don’t strike me as those of a man who thinks we are doing badly, so it may be too late to save our season. In 2 weeks time we could be 6th and out the Scottish cup, spending the rest of the season hoping that 9th doesn’t catch up on us. 
We need to start winning again very soon. If anyone takes a grip of this league now, they will win it. If we continue with the shit we have watched since October then something needs changed at the club. 
If this season a failure compared to last season? No.

Is this season a failure based on shooting ourself in the foot continually and allowing standards to drop? Yes.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

(Pedant alert) - We’re not joint fifth we’re third. That’s what goal difference is for.

Yes, to say we're "joint 5th" when we're actually 3rd and with a game in hand over one of the teams below and also the team immediately above which if we win it would actually have us "2nd" is glass half empty stuff in the extreme !!!

Edited by WATTOO
glass wrong way round

Didn't double check but based on Transfermarkt the only time we've been out the top 4 this season is the opening day, while everyone around us has been at some point since then.

Form has been dodgy recently but you'd think with the way some people talk that we're being chased down for a play-off place by Europe's elite and not a bunch of bang average Scottish Championship sides that, outwith Inverness, have lost to us at some point and aren't in sparkling form themselves.

This league is just wild. Every time someone looks down and out, they hit form (most recently Partick, Morton and Hamilton). We are due our good run, and now is the time to get it going! I cannot believe Dundee are still within reach. We have to win on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

We have a game in hand over Queens Park and still have to play them so we could still win the league.

Will we though? 

The form we are on and the form of others makes it more likely that Ayr will finish in a middle pack of Inverness and Raith. 
The comments from Bullen in recent weeks don’t strike me as those of a man who thinks we are doing badly, so it may be too late to save our season. In 2 weeks time we could be 6th and out the Scottish cup, spending the rest of the season hoping that 9th doesn’t catch up on us. 
We need to start winning again very soon. If anyone takes a grip of this league now, they will win it. If we continue with the shit we have watched since October then something needs changed at the club. 
If this season a failure compared to last season? No.

Is this season a failure based on shooting ourself in the foot continually and allowing standards to drop? Yes.

I don’t see how this season can be a failure. You can only base that on the objectives at the start of the season really. Since we have no idea what the club wanted to achieve it’s hard to say but I’d imagine they’d have been aiming for mid table but knowing full well that the playoffs is a reasonable target. 

I still think finishing 4th is a good season as it is a step in the right direction and puts us in a better place ahead of next season. Getting to Hampden would be the icing on the cake. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see how this season can be a failure. You can only base that on the objectives at the start of the season really. Since we have no idea what the club wanted to achieve it’s hard to say but I’d imagine they’d have been aiming for mid table but knowing full well that the playoffs is a reasonable target. 

I still think finishing 4th is a good season as it is a step in the right direction and puts us in a better place ahead of next season. Getting to Hampden would be the icing on the cake. 

They have allowed players to openly talk about winning the league/getting promoted, outside the playoffs would now be a failure.  

“If we’re going to win a league and get to Hampden in the cup then we’ll need everyone chipping in and I’m here to do that.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-sign-former-aberdeen-29268066?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

"There is a pressure on me to perform and that's what I want. I want to make a big contribution to where the club is aiming to go and that's obviously promotion."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-new-boy-reece-29094977?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Because we have been in the top 2 most of the season and we have been the architects of our own downfall, losing Chalmers, Musonda and Murdoch hasn’t been as critical as continually playing honking football and persevering with people that are simply not good enough.

In January, we could have improved the squad and have made it worse. 

If we hadn’t done this, we would have been in a better place to succeed. The fact we are still 3rd despite winning 4 games in 4 months is down to the teams around us rather than us being good and some people see it as a success- we have stunk for 4 months but so have other teams so we are successful. To me, that is a failure 

35 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Apparently k*llie didn’t offer Maguire a contract because of his fitness 

We could see why on Friday. He’ll play here and there for us so will probably never be fully fit by the time he leaves. Could be a Kenyon type signing. 

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We could see why on Friday. He’ll play here and there for us so will probably never be fully fit by the time he leaves. Could be a Kenyon type signing. 

Could be but he's a lot more dangerous in and around the box than Kenyon - risky signing but time will tell.

1 hour ago, ComradeDiego said:

Apparently k*llie didn’t offer Maguire a contract because of his fitness 

You could see why they didn't offer him a contract - the guy needs another 4 or 5 games to get up to speed. Thankfully he is far too good for this level so he can still have an impact even with his limited fitness. Crazy to think we have been so shite recently but still have a good shot at finishing top. 

35 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Could be but he's a lot more dangerous in and around the box than Kenyon - risky signing but time will tell.

We needed a defensive midfielder that was a free transfer and Kenyon was a defensive midfielder with no club but hadn’t played for months.

He came in, was obviously not fit, didn’t play enough to get fit and then Left. 
I don’t think Kenyon is a bad player, he just wasn’t fit enough to make any kind of impact, or get around the pitch.

McGuire hasn’t played for roughly the same time as Kenyon and is 10 years older but he plays in a different position where he can benefit from the players round about him to do the bulk of the running. We need to set up to allow that to happen.

Playing an isolated forward, like we have been doing for the last few months isn’t going to help and bringing in an immobile forward to play behind them doesn’t seem to me to the solution. The whole style needs to change. 

2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

You could see why they didn't offer him a contract - the guy needs another 4 or 5 games to get up to speed. Thankfully he is far too good for this level so he can still have an impact even with his limited fitness. Crazy to think we have been so shite recently but still have a good shot at finishing top. 

I hope we do finish top because the promotion playoffs will give me a heart attack.