The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m sure they scrapped that rule a few years ago. If the cup is won by someone in a European spot I.e Celtic then it gets passed down to the next spot in the league.

I'm sure it was Gordon Smith when he was in charge of the SFA. Saw teams like Gretna and QOTS going in to Europe as an embarrassment and a danger to the coefficient so we have had premier league heavyweights thriving in all European competitions ever since.   

9 hours ago, rb123! said:

Like your optimism but i cannot see us beating Dundee or QP over two maches

I can. We have totalled three wins over these clubs this season including a 5-0 hammering of Queen's Park. 

2 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Let’s make sure we do the business against Falkirk in the cup, bank the cup cash for next season and build a league winning squad for next year.

We can see where this season takes us but I fear it’s just a season or 2 too early.

Yep.

If we do go up this year then brilliant - Bullen will have achieved what many Ayr United managers before him failed to do.

If we don't go up then we must ensure that the progress from this season is built upon and that the money from the cup run is used to help us do that.

24 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yep.

If we do go up this year then brilliant - Bullen will have achieved what many Ayr United managers before him failed to do.

If we don't go up then we must ensure that the progress from this season is built upon and that the money from the cup run is used to help us do that.

Problem is next year is you're potentially looking at a championship of:

Ayr

Dundee United

Kilmarnock 

Partick Thistle

Inverness

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Hamilton Academical 

Raith Rovers 

Greenock Morton

That's a massively more competitive league than this year with just the highlighted 6 for a start...

30 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ayr

Dundee United

Kilmarnock 

Partick Thistle

Inverness

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Hamilton Academical 

Raith Rovers 

Greenock Morton

That's a massively more competitive league than this year with just the highlighted 6 for a start...

I wouldn't rule out Cove Rangers. The Bangala bounce is coming.

44 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ayr

Dundee United

Kilmarnock 

Partick Thistle

Inverness

Dunfermline

Falkirk

Hamilton Academical 

Raith Rovers 

Greenock Morton

That’s presuming that we get two up and two down which I don’t think we will. It’s also only the case if Falkirk are the team that wins the play offs which I don’t think will happen. 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That’s presuming that we get two up and two down which I don’t think we will. It’s also only the case if Falkirk are the team that wins the play offs which I don’t think will happen. 

Falkirk are on a ridiculous run tbf, but then I do look at the Dunfermline team that’s top and see Joe Chalmers starting…

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Falkirk/Dunfermline would hammer any of Hamilton, Cove or Arbroath. Will defo be 2 up and 2 down this season. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I'd be surprised if Cove or Arbroath were to win a playoff against whoever in league 1 and going on current form Falkirk look in the best place out of them, FC Edinburgh, Alloa and Airdrie but just my feeling. 

Wouldn't be complaining too much tbf if the top 2 came up from league 1 from the point of view of generating more income from better away supports to Somerset which will also improve the atmosphere which no disrespect to Cove and Arbroath, but they bring neither. 

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I might be wrong but I don’t think we could have Ayr, Morton , Raith, Thistle , Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock all in the same league next season 

Unless my dodgy calculations are wrong i thought they could but possibly not

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Unless my dodgy calculations are wrong i thought they could but possibly not

After looking at it you are correct , for some strange reason I forgot to put QP on my list , I see that you are taking QP and Dundee to go up , if that was to happen then as you say what a league the Championship would be 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Falkirk/Dunfermline would hammer any of Hamilton, Cove or Arbroath. Will defo be 2 up and 2 down this season. 

Sadly, for us, I agree that to some extent. Might not be a hammering but they would be favourites. We might pick up but even still if we're 9th I expect us to be down.

1 hour ago, Lochwood said:

All the teams in it have really invested in more quality numbers, we have brought in two, time will tell but I’ll be really pleasantly surprised if we have enough to stay in the top four.

This is ultimately one of the issues at the minute although there isn’t much we can do about it. We’d have had a smaller budget than both Dundee and QP at the start of the season and given the number of signings we had to make it’s understandable that we had to spend all our budget in the summer. Think we did well enough in January to keep Mullin and add in midfield. The Maguire signing could go either way but it’s a move that won’t have been cheap. 

We’ll probably need to make quite a few changes in the summer again but we should also have a bigger budget than last season. It’ll depend on who stays and who goes. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Our home top for next season seems to have been leaked. Looks like a QP top but I do like it tbf. Not letting me post picture. 

Wasn’t aware they had decided on the strip yet ,comes as a surprise to me