The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

For me it feels at the minute Dipo is trying too hard at times and overthinking things when he gets the ball. Does seem like the type to put a lot of pressure on himself.

Shown enough quality this season to believe it's only a blip. A game where he sticks to the 18 yard box and we get crosses will get him back on the goal trail.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The positive is that once Murdoch comes back we should have a relatively solid midfield base with Dempsey and McAlear in there

With McAlear playing in front of both. Musonda returning as well.

I'm still annoyed at O'Connor getting substituted 😒 Maguire needs time and fitness. Dipo was very unlucky at the end there, hopefully he'll pick up as I've my fingers crossed for a goal against Inverness 🤞

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So was his gut when the defender pulled his shirt and gave away  a free kick

He’ll be like the fat kid at PE who only scored screamers and spends the rest of the time walking and falling down. 

Mind you I think I said that about Gary Harkins in 2016. 

The sort of game that you’d switch off if your team wasn’t playing. Draw was the right result - we had the better chances but Raith had probably more although wanted to get three points from most of them. Amazed no-one pointed out McDonald was off his line when the pen was taken - you need to have a foot on the line.

Dipo won nearly every ball played to him but then managed to lose it far too easily and his finishing was shocking - two very easy chances and hit the target with neither. Confident he’ll come good again but we need it sooner rather than later.

McGinty strolled his way through the game and was MoM for me with Kirk also oozing class. Mullen disappointing but McAleer coming onto a game and Maguire while clearly carrying a fair bit of timber obviously has more than enough class to deliver at this level while getting back to full fitness.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Least this will quash the theorists who believe Bully sets us out to hoof it

People assume that whatever tactic a team follows it’s because that’s what they’ve been told to do. It’s down to limited defenders like McGinty, McAllister and Reading who pump it long because they can’t think of an alternative. 

Fwiw the direct approach was fine tonight and nearly got us 3 points if Dipo had his boots on the right feet. 

Absolutely hated McAlear for a bit but he's coming on to a game and played some clever passes, coupled with an obvious ability to take set pieces. Maguire looks as you would imagine, clearly not match fit but oozes class and helped us retain the ball when he came on. Still no idea why we go route one so often, the difference in movement between the teams was stark. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

People assume that whatever tactic a team follows it’s because that’s what they’ve been told to do. It’s down to limited defenders like McGinty, McAllister and Reading who pump it long because they can’t think of an alternative. 

Fwiw the direct approach was fine tonight and nearly got us 3 points if Dipo had his boots on the right feet. 

Spot on that's why it goes long so much, that's not a criticism of all 3 who I thought did well tonight ,also only 2 in midfield makes it appealing to go long under pressure. 

Draw is a decent result away against a good football side in good form, much improved from Saturday's shit show. 

Dipo will get back on it,Murdoch, Musonda will return shortly, McAlear is now getting there as hopefully will Maguire. 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s down to limited defenders like McGinty, McAllister and Reading who pump it long because they can’t think of an alternative. 

I thought Reading looked pretty good tonight, Few forward runs and attempted crosses. McGinty did well from the back, clearly has a good relationship with Akinyemi.

McAllister sometimes gives me the shiters though. He's a great defender on his day, though recently he's had a few bombscare moments. The hand ball (wouldn't have said it was, played him but of course, Leanne Crichton knows best 🙄) and a few wrestling move like tackles 😬 He's not a bad defender, just needs to ease off the aggression me thinks.

Based on what I saw  which was limited in the pub but I thought we should have won that big improvement throughout the team from previous. We can only get better with Maguire and Musonda and Murdoch to come in, good to get some good players back for these big games coming up. Don’t get the  boy McGuire is carrying timber not what I saw on Tuesday he looked in good shape to me for a guy been out for 6 months .

The amount of people who were asking me who is playing  in Ayr really annoys me long way to go to build up the support.