The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Mildly harsh, not seen it back but do they not only score because Reading runs away and gives them a free cross? 

Absolutely this, everytime we're attracted down our left you know the balls coming in, obvious to see and every coach in the league is onto it. Our left side with Reading and JML is a complete joke and nowhere near championship level and before Wattoo jumps in with his Ashford nonsense he will not improve it in anyway whatsoever because he's abysmal. 

20 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Absolutely this, everytime we're attracted down our left you know the balls coming in, obvious to see and every coach in the league is onto it. Our left side with Reading and JML is a complete joke and nowhere near championship level and before Wattoo jumps in with his Ashford nonsense he will not improve it in anyway whatsoever because he's abysmal. 

It is quite amazing that our management team can watch months of horror shows at left back and do absolutely nothing to address it. Nick McAllister is now our best full back - fucking hilarious. 

Reading wasn’t as bad yesterday as recent games, still pish mind. 

Since November we've been involved in 5 games against the 4 teams around us, it's 1 point out of 15 and we've ranged from poor to abysmal in every one of those matches, I said at the time that I didn't see the outpouring of joy for the January window I thought it was rather average, it now looks utterly hopeless. Bullen has been excellent around the club re organisation and driving standards, but on a Saturday where it really counts he looks incredibly short. 

Last Saturday home against a team from the bottom league 3 in midfield 1 isolated striker, this week against a good side with a strong 3 man midfield we go 2 in midfield including a young inexperienced player, I really can't see what he's thinking. 

Our wide player's recently have been poor, but if we don't play any kind of football and just shell it long in the general direction of Dipo that will happen. 

Next season we need a massive rebuild to just stand still and avoid a relegation battle, the league will be stronger, I think Dipo will want a move in the summer and we must cash in to avoid a pittance, need 2 centre halves, left back, powerful midfielder, attacking midfielder, at least 1 wide player and 2 strikers.

People will say overreaction but if you've watched us since October you'll know how poor we've been, the 2 Cove games put a false slant on our form. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Mildly harsh, not seen it back but do they not only score because Reading runs away and gives them a free cross? 

I'm sure when the highlights are up there's about 4 or 5 of them that didn't cover themselves in glory for the goal

Player's out for me are Houston, Musonda,Reading, Ashford, JML, first 2 always injured next 3 not good enough. 

McGinty 3rd choice centre half can be replaced or stay not bothered 

Mullin is interesting because it will depend on form and what wage he wants he's certainly not showing it just now, but has been excellent before. 

Must keeps Albinson, McAllister, Dempsey, Murdoch, Bryden. 

Sell Dipo for good money or get stung. 

Bullen doesn't rate O'Connor so why keep if he doesn't play, I would keep but it's strange he even got a years deal last summer 

McKenzie is decent nothing more, probably keep 

Hewitt, Smith probably deserve more time. 

McAdams decent back up, can't see us getting Kirk again sadly, McAlear was a terrible lazy loan we appear to be trying to get him fit, we needed players ready to run immediately, someone should get a hard boot in the baws for that, was admittedly slightly better yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm sure when the highlights are up there's about 4 or 5 of them that didn't cover themselves in glory for the goal

Correct again, no tracking from JML, usual meek pish from reading and centre halves couldn't deal with a floating aimless cross, utterly dreadful all round. 

I've had time to reflect and I'm still raging. What a missed opportunity this season could turn out to be.

We are effectively a one man team because of the dreadful tactics of our manager. Without Dipo we'd be fucked. Teams have clocked that and have two men on him routinely. Whilst we continually shell the ball in Dipo's general direction. Whilst the players need to take their share of the blame, I can only assume Bullen was happy with the first half performance given he sent the same team back out playing the same fucking way. As others have said, Thistle's midfield three of Docherty, Bannigan & Turner is probably the strongest in the league and we had Dempsey & Smith in there. They weren't even chasing shadows as they never got that close to Thistle's midfielders who seemed to have time and space anywhere on the pitch.

An utterly rancid performance. I am sick of watching awful football at Somerset. I'm not asking us to play like Barcelona, I just want some high tempo, a bit of pressing and not shelling it long all the time. Is that too much to ask? The subs improved things and we upped the tempo but why did it take so long?

I'm well and truly back on the fence with Bullen. We have decent players who are being hamstrung by some horrendous tactics. Mullin has all but disappeared as the ball is shelled over his head and he can only watch the aimless punts. Be under no illusion these tactics are Hoppyball plain and simple.

One dimensional pish. "Change it Bullen".

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I've had time to reflect and I'm still raging. What a missed opportunity this season could turn out to be.

We are effectively a one man team because of the dreadful tactics of our manager. Without Dipo we'd be fucked. Teams have clocked that and have two men on him routinely. Whilst we continually shell the ball in Dipo's general direction. Whilst the players need to take their share of the blame, I can only assume Bullen was happy with the first half performance given he sent the same team back out playing the same fucking way. As others have said, Thistle's midfield three of Docherty, Bannigan & Turner is probably the strongest in the league and we had Dempsey & Smith in there. They weren't even chasing shadows as they never got that close to Thistle's midfielders who seemed to have time and space anywhere on the pitch.

An utterly rancid performance. I am sick of watching awful football at Somerset. I'm not asking us to play like Barcelona, I just want some high tempo, a bit of pressing and not shelling it long all the time. Is that too much to ask? The subs improved things and we upped the tempo but why did it take so long?

I'm well and truly back on the fence with Bullen. We have decent players who are being hamstrung by some horrendous tactics. Mullin has all but disappeared as the ball is shelled over his head and he can only watch the aimless punts. Be under no illusion these tactics are Hoppyball plain and simple.

100%

52 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Any anger I feel at a performance is normally gone as soon as the FT whistle goes, but aye I’m still raging too. I think it’s just the first half being scarily inept. 

Can't say i'm overly surprised with our current situation considering it was  2/3 year plan to get to the Premiership and the squad we have just now you've only got Dipo and possibly Kirk/Albinson/Dempsey/Murdoch who could move up to Premiership level. Meaning you're getting promoted and doing a massive rebuild which could be disastrous if you get it wrong in the first season in the Prem and end up being the whipping boys. 

January clearly wasn't as good as the club wanted as we lost Young and haven't replaced him although the argument Mathie seemed to have for that was Bryden was ready to step and take his place and i mean no harm to the kid when i say this but he is 100% not ready to be starting championship games yet IMO. Should have been put out on loan to league 1 or something to allow us to bring in the likes of a Connor Shields or something like that. The two biggest baffling decisions for me however were to first send Ecrepont out on loan to a league 2 club when he is absolutely no worse than Reading who now has no competition for his place in the team which probably half explains his shocking performances lately.  Second one is not bringing in a winger to replace Chalmers, i know we would probably not have got anyone as good as Chalmers however i've said on several occasions JML has only put in decent shows against Cove and Arbroath who are the two part time teams in this week which is telling of his quality...

Would imagine we were financially out muscled heavily by the likes of Queens Park and bottom end Premiership teams for targets however still was a disappointing month. Heard towards the end of January we were after a Scottish striker who's currently a free agent that last played down south however there were red tape issues off the park with that which may have hampered anything from happening but believe those issues have been resolved so don't know if it's a short term deal which may still happen to the end of the season. 

Edited by rb123!

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

I said I'd have Ashford ahead of JML but I also said I'd have O'Connor ahead of both, but of course you conveniently ignored that part.......

Maybe Ashford.....starting on the left and having the two better ones in reserve would be better, I don't think JML or Daire ever play well from.yhe start.  I mind last year Daire would build up some impressive form off the bench then he would start and he would nuke. 

23 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Can't say i'm overly surprised with our current situation considering it was  2/3 year plan to get to the Premiership and the squad we have just now you've only got Dipo and possibly Kirk/Albinson/Dempsey/Murdoch who could move up to Premiership level. Meaning you're getting promoted and doing a massive rebuild which could be disastrous if you get it wrong in the first season in the Prem and end up being the whipping boys. 

January clearly wasn't as good as the club wanted as we lost Young and haven't replaced him although the argument Mathie seemed to have for that was Bryden was ready to step and take his place and i mean no harm to the kid when i say this but he is 100% not ready to be starting championship games yet IMO. Should have been put out on loan to league 1 or something to allow us to bring in the likes of a Connor Shields or something like that. The two biggest baffling decisions for me however were to first send Ecrepont out on loan to a league 2 club when he is absolutely no worse than Reading who now has no competition for his place in the team which probably half explains his shocking performances lately.  Second one is not bringing in a winger to replace Chalmers, i know we would probably not have got anyone as good as Chalmers however i've said on several occasions JML has only put in decent shows against Cove and Arbroath who are the two part time teams in this week which is telling of his quality...

Would imagine we were financially out muscled heavily by the likes of Queens Park and bottom end Premiership teams for targets however still was a disappointing month. Heard towards the end of January we were after a Scottish striker who's currently a free agent that last played down south however there were red tape issues off the park with that which may have hampered anything from happening but believe those issues have been resolved so don't know if it's a short term deal which may still happen to the end of the season. 

Sounds like Chris McGuire? Who would quite frankly be a ridiculous upgrade. 

Completely agree on Bryden, he can contribute off the bench now which is impressive in itself for his age but isn’t ready to start. 

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Maybe Ashford.....starting on the left and having the two better ones in reserve would be better, I don't think JML or Daire ever play well from.yhe start.  I mind last year Daire would build up some impressive form off the bench then he would start and he would nuke. 

Daire was good several times from the start towards the end of last season IMO. You maybe don’t see him contributing in the same way as he does off there bench where he terrorises people, but he would always create chances. 

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Like this:

Albinson

Houston Kirk McGinty Musonda

Mullin Smith Dempsey Ashford

Dipo McKenzie

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Daire this season had been much improved and was extremely unlucky to lose his place through a combination of Mullins arrival and an injury, however I'd say he was one of our key players in the first quarter of the season when results were positive and we also appeared to have much more control in matches.

It might be my imagination but I always think Reading plays far better with Daire beside him but I don't think anyone can question the fact that his link up play completely changed the direction of the last 2 games once he was introduced and if Bullen can't see what most of the rest of us saw then that would indeed be a worry.

All that said, the league is full of poor teams and our current predicament isn't any worse than the likes of Inverness (who were thrashed 3-0 at home by the bottom club yesterday) or anyone else who lacks consistency and quality in this topsy turvy league. People may also be questioning Bullen and feeling a bit scunnered at the moment but we all know the likely available alternatives so it really would be a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Still, that doesn't excuse our poor quality of football recently and lack of creativity / excitement from a fans perspective, of course we can accept it when we're winning but there's no doubt the last few weeks have been utter garbage so let's just hope Bullen and the players can turn this around sooner rather than later otherwise a potentially fantastic season could end up being pretty mediocre and a huge disappointment for us all.

The problem with yesterday was that it felt like we were all expecting it to happen. There was no atmosphere from the home fans for a big game and the Thistle fans put us to shame. We have been awful over the last few months with a few games papering over the cracks. We have been outplayed in most of the games I’ve seen this season including a lot of wins. If is wasn’t for Dipos early season form we’d be down with Cove etc and to be honest I had a wee look this morning just to check and I’m hoping the gap is enough. With the form of teams below us (Morton, Raith and ICT) and our own form I think we’ll struggle to make the playoffs and I’m worried about the Falkirk game. We are so one dimensional and easy to play against right now that it’s hard to see where our next win comes from. 

Having said all that, this is still far better that the last few seasons and we would all have bitten your arm off if you’d offered us 3rd in February and in the QFs against a lower league team. That and this Championship is the worst in years so as bad as we have been the opposition haven’t looked any great shapes so if Bullen can sort things out…

Cant remember when Dipo last scored in the league. He obviously had his head turned and was giving it the ‘I’m homesick’ chat which has been clear to see over the last few months. We owe him a lot this season and he’s carried us but if he wants a good move he needs to get his finger out. Reminds me a wee bit of when we could/should have cashed in on Shankland. 

Edited by Utdtillidie2

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Any anger I feel at a performance is normally gone as soon as the FT whistle goes, but aye I’m still raging too. I think it’s just the first half being scarily inept. 

I stopped expecting anything from Ayr United years ago.

If you don't expect anything, you'll never be disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I stopped expecting anything from Ayr United years ago.

If you don't expect anything, you'll never be disappointed. 

I wasn’t expecting us to win tbh, but I was expecting better than that first half - I won’t from now on!

The first half was dreadful. Bullen was already heading down the tunnel when the half time whistle went and I remember thinking, good, he doesn't look happy with it either. 

No subs at half time, maybe he's stripped the paint off the walls and they are going to come out all guns blazing. 

Nope, we almost concede in the opening seconds. It took a combination of Thistle having injuries, Doolan going ultra defensive and O'Conner coming on that made the last 10 minutes bearable. 

His post match interview was along the lines of fine margins and maybe we just weren't at it. 

This is the kind of shite that got Hopkin the sack. 

I doubt we will make the play-offs. The bottom clubs are picking up as well so a bottom half finish is looking on the cards at the moment unless Bullen takes his head out of his arse sharpish.