The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Bullen is undoubtedly a better 'man manager' than both Hopkin or Duffy. However his tactics are rarely much better imo.

What he also has going for him is some 'slightly' better players. 

Edited by AuAl

14 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The only possibly justifiable reason is that after having been out for a little bit he doesn't quite have 90mins in the tank yet. I don't know what it is, though, but I doubt it's that. 

As much as I agree, but if if that's the case what's the harm in starting him and playing him for 45/60mins to then bring on JML

14 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Uncomfortable question..   

Have we really improved that much under Bullen?

No. Lucky recruitment and an early winning streak that came with other teams being unable to cope with it has masked an absolute tactical vacuum. You give Akinyemi to literally any other team in the top seven and they'd be well clear at the top.

Eight points in two months.

Edited by Thumper

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

League table says yes.

Style of play and recent performances outwith the Cove games says no.

Take Dipo out the equation and ask the same question..  

Compare man for man this team with McCall’s team that beat Dundee Utd 5-0 - how many of this team would get in that side?  In theory, Dipo would, but in the real world I would never split up Shankland and Moffat.

Andy Murdoch would because, well, he did at the time.  Dempsey probably would, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Mark Kerr (at the moment I have a soft spot for any Ayr midfielder that can complete a 10 yard pass) and Andy Geggan.  Kirk probably, though Bell and Rose was a solid partnership of experience and youth.  Other than that, I can’t help thinking that I’m looking at a very average group of players.  

Pathetic. 

Can we put to bed any issues with formations, it is completely down to a tactical inability from Bullen. To sit that deep in the first half, and to not even make an attempt to get on the front foot was disgraceful. 

Unsurprisingly McAlear and O’Connor made a difference - imagine both will be on the bench again next week. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Take Dipo out the equation and ask the same question..  

Compare man for man this team with McCall’s team that beat Dundee Utd 5-0 - how many of this team would get in that side?  In theory, Dipo would, but in the real world I would never split up Shankland and Moffat.

Andy Murdoch would because, well, he did at the time.  Dempsey probably would, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Mark Kerr (at the moment I have a soft spot for any Ayr midfielder that can complete a 10 yard pass) and Andy Geggan.  Kirk probably, though Bell and Rose was a solid partnership of experience and youth.  Other than that, I can’t help thinking that I’m looking at a very average group of players.  

Compare man for man this team with McCall’s team that beat Dundee Utd 5-0 - how many of this team would get in that side? In theory, Dipo would, but in the real world I would never split up Shankland and Moffat.

This.

That was on Bullen today. As soon as I saw the team o knew we were getting beat, 2 in the middle, when one is Paul Smith, especially when Thistle have Docherty and Bannigan on the middle was always going to be a car crash. 
There is no point in playing 2 up front when you don’t have the ball.

It took him nearly 70 minutes to change it.

Absolute shiteshow from him Again today, it’s a repeat of last year, can or won’t change and then when he does, it is the worst possible thing to do. 

7 minutes ago, Jack1910 said:

Few weeks ago I was crucified for saying that JML was rank rotten. He’s still rank rotten. Get him gone O’Connor needs to play ahead of him from Now. 

This take is getting boring tbh - he offered miles more than Mullin who spent the day crossing it out the pitch for the second week running. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

This take is getting boring tbh - he offered miles more than Mullin who spent the day crossing it out the pitch for the second week running. 

That’s Mullins job, he has said that himself in interviews. The other wide players job is to run at the team - which JML sees a man and does a U-turn. O’Connor actually gives it a go and runs at the man. 

Edited by AUFC19100

When’s the Alex Kirk comedy show DVD being sold in the club shop? He was absolutely rank rotten today (along with many others). As has been said, we do not have any identity when playing, it’s horrendous to watch. I’m not looking forward to our trip to Starks Park on Friday night. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Don’t argue gents.  JML and Mullin were both pish today.  Though I would still argue that our tactics are doing nothing to help them.  We make no effort to spread the play or pass the ball through midfield.  

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

O’Connor has stunk the place out every time he’s been given a start. He’s an impact sub at best. 

Deserves to be given a chance from the start now. JML not good enough for me at the moment. There wasn’t a good performance from anyone for me today. McAllister did not bad I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, AUFC19100 said:

That’s Mullins job, he has said that himself in interviews. The other wide players job is to run at the team - which JML sees a man and does a U-turn. O’Connor actually gives it a go and runs at the man. 

His job is to cross it out the pitch?

I would clearly start O’Connor but JML is offering far more than Mullin but seems to get the brunt of criticism.