The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I will always be grateful for McCall who grabbed our club by the scruff of the neck and got us to being an established Championship side after the binfire that was Roberts. The 2017/18 title winning season was awesome. The 2018/19 campaign finishing fourth was great. 2019/20 was going exceptionally well and he bailed on us. Giving the empty platitudes about it being a tough decision all the while he had made his mind up. The way he left really annoyed me. Thanks for the memories Ian but the club has moved on. 

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

Can't see which Championship club he'll rock up at next season. Raith or Hamilton possibly. Sure he would have loved the QP job

I think that might be him done as a manager, he's 58 so i could see him going upstairs somewhere 

Still got a tremendous amount of respect for McCall, Bringing in Shankland re-signing moffat and playing entertaining football, it was enjoyable to watch. 

I wouldn't take him back as some form of coaching role but he would be beneficial as some form of scout as he's still got an eye for a good signing...no chance of it happening right enough. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

What about McPake to Thistle and McCall to Dunfermline?

McPake will be found out next season when Dunfermline get promoted. McCall could be an option for them then but I think he’ll want to stay in or around Glasgow. Could see him being finished in terms of managing unless a club came in that suited him geographically. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McPake will be found out next season when Dunfermline get promoted. McCall could be an option for them then but I think he’ll want to stay in or around Glasgow. Could see him being finished in terms of managing unless a club came in that suited him geographically. 

Does he not hate Dunfermline for some reason i'm pretty sure i've heard before?

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I wouldn’t. The way he left was a disgrace. f**k him. 

If it wasn’t for him we’d likely still be in league one or two, still part time.

We had a chance to build on the success he created but Cameron played safe and McCall decided to look elsewhere. 

He didn’t go the same way as Daziel 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think that's one of the main reasons he left Ayr for Partick. Was an hour drive to Somerset or a five minute walk round the corner to Firhill.

The decision to sack him must have been made before this game, as the game itself wasn't bad. Partick are doing shite in the league but did okay today against one of the old firm.

Just now, THEHonestman1910 said:

Still got a tremendous amount of respect for McCall, Bringing in Shankland re-signing moffat and playing entertaining football, it was enjoyable to watch. 

I wouldn't take him back as some form of coaching role but he would be beneficial as some form of scout as he's still got an eye for a good signing...no chance of it happening right enough. 

Yes, I definitely wouldn't take him back because I don't think there is an opening for him but I don't really understand the negativity towards him. He undoubtedly did a tremendous job for us, getting us promoted and some hugely memorable performances such as the 5-0 demolition of Dundee Utd at Tannadice. I can still remember standing in the baking sun at Alloa just before he left watching us play the most entertaining football I had seen for a very long time.

He obviously felt that he wasn't going to get us promoted with the resources he had available to him and Partick offered him an opportunity. The fact that his ability didn't match his ambition doesn't lessen him in my eyes at least, but does show that he wouldn't have been the manager to take us much further even had more money been available to him.

What did people expect him to say - "It was an easy decision, I couldn't wait to leave"?

56 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The fact that he has not achieved anything of note or fulfilled his ambitions since leaving us is rather funny I’ll admit.

No way he’d ever admit to regretting the move but considering we went through a change in ownership to someone who has ambitions of progressing us begs to question of how would he have done as Ayr manager with Smiths backing. I don’t think Graeme Mathie would ever have been appointed for a start. 

But if he was still here Somerset boab would still be in the cream puff 

Don't mind that McCall left Ayr for Thistle but it always felt like he was just stringing Ayr along that season untill the Partick job came up. Did he not only stay on as manager on a rolling contract basis so he could leave whenever he wanted? I think there would be little ill feeling if he had left at the end of the 18/19 season saying that he felt that he'd done all he could at Ayr.

16 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Don't mind that McCall left Ayr for Thistle but it always felt like he was just stringing Ayr along that season untill the Partick job came up. Did he not only stay on as manager on a rolling contract basis so he could leave whenever he wanted? I think there would be little ill feeling if he had left at the end of the 18/19 season saying that he felt that he'd done all he could at Ayr.

We got compensation from Thistle for Scally, don’t know about him though

Edited by diegomarahenry

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Wonder if Partick will try and double dip by going for Bullen.

For all that Partick are a fucking basket case right now, their primary criterion is results, so picking Bullen would be properly mental.

I hope McCall bounces back. For all that he always thought he was better than Ayr he did genuinely show humility in the early days and he was completely right about the need for the club to develop itself beyond the nonexistent facilities it had outside of the rightly-separated academy. At the same time, he'll probably end up managing fucking Darvel in two weeks.