The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, ComradeDiego said:

Absolutely not the point a was making there 😂

His heed would have been turned was the point I was making

He was on a one year contract. There was undoubtedly interest in Ayr's one good player during the winter break. He continued to bust his balls for the club. Folk in the stands continued to mutter that he was lazy, worthless, and ungrateful.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Can't see anyone offering £250k for Dipo in the summer since he'll be into the last year of his contract, surprised we turned down that sum of money tbf

You could of got 3.33333333 Oli Shaw's for that amount

It's supply and demand, if he continues to do well for us then that only further builds his brand and makes him in some respects more valuable.

The likes of a Charlton aren't going to penny pinch over £50k etc and if they were prepared to take a chance on £250k+ just now then providing his form stands up I'm sure they'd happily pay that in the summer, considering what their alternative targets are likely to cost if English based.

The bottom line is that he's under contract, so if a decent offer wasn't received then I'd think Smith would be more than happy to keep him here rather than lose him for a paltry amount which would then mean we's still have to replace him.

38 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Can't see anyone offering £250k for Dipo in the summer since he'll be into the last year of his contract

That's pennies for English clubs. If he's gotten 20+ goals, or [touch wood] gotten promoted, it's no bother. The reason Scottish Championship clubs rarely get dosh for players is because they're never on long-term contracts, which the backroom staff has very clearly twigged.

Recall that Shankland was still a total gamble on his last year at Ayr. Whereas Akinyemi might bang in another dozen by the summer.

Still, Ayr are outliers here for basically having never gotten decent money for anyone.

Edited by Thumper

Going back to the formation/chances created thing.

I think it’s more about our style of play in terms of creating less chances in a 4-3-3 as opposed to the formation itself. With a possession style game, it allows McAvoy, Mullin and JML to receive the ball in dangerous areas and link with Dipo. Against Cove for example. However if we play directly (Queens Park) then our midfield players are far too detached from Dipo and we don’t create the same level of chances. The downside of the 4-4-2 is that we are ridiculously open. I think our best chance of success is the 4-3-3, we just need to fine tune it a little - Andy Murdoch is also vital to allow us to build from the back. Musonda returning will obviously help with this too. 

IMO, if we are going to play incredibly directly then play 4-4-2 but if not, then stick with the 4-3-3. 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Going back to the formation/chances created thing.

I think it’s more about our style of play in terms of creating less chances in a 4-3-3 as opposed to the formation itself. With a possession style game, it allows McAvoy, Mullin and JML to receive the ball in dangerous areas and link with Dipo. Against Cove for example. However if we play directly (Queens Park) then our midfield players are far too detached from Dipo and we don’t create the same level of chances. The downside of the 4-4-2 is that we are ridiculously open. I think our best chance of success is the 4-3-3, we just need to fine tune it a little - Andy Murdoch is also vital to allow us to build from the back. Musonda returning will obviously help with this too. 

IMO, if we are going to play incredibly directly then play 4-4-2 but if not, then stick with the 4-3-3. 

I suppose it would also depend on the opposition as Cove are arguably the worst team in the league and QP arguably the best.

It's a difficult one but we definitely do get the best from Dipo when McKenzie is up beside him (potentially Bryden as well).

we really started playing long ball at the away game to morton at the start of september, which in my opinion was when the downward trend of poor performances started. regardless of formation we created less chances, but 4-3-3 really does not suit our main man dipo.

2 up front and keep it on the deck!

1 hour ago, ComradeDiego said:

Beaton is the ref for Saturday 

Another nightmare (only marginally better than McLean) but if we can't beat Elgin even with him against us then we've got problems !!