The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve never understood this. If a player is good enough then why would having played for Ayr be a reason to avoid them? Plenty of players have come back to the club and done us a turn. I remember a few people being against Moffat and Geggan returning but look how they did. 

Unless Murdoch is injured I really don’t see a demand for another midfielder. I’d much rather spend the last of our budget on a defender but if Bullen thinks a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 is the way forward then so be it. If there’s anyone able to come in and score a handful of important goals then it would be him. 

My point is that the only reason he is being linked with us is because he's been here before. His ability doesn't come into it, he isn’t actually needed. We've got an abundance of midfielders. Even if Murdoch were injured (hopefully speculation), is he the right replacement? I'm not convinced.

It's also not comparable to Moffat or Geggan at all. There was a need for both of them as we were building the 2017/18 squad in the summer and had just gone full time. I can't imagine any fan questioned bringing in either of them in at the time. Both having won League One and playing Championship football. If they did they had taken leave of their senses. No signing is a sure thing but that double signing of Moffat & Geggan was as close to a no brainer as you could get.

9 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I don't have the prize money to hand but I doubt that there is a difference of £150,000 between going out in round 6 compared to round 5.  £150,000 will be more likely the total compared to (guess) £75/80,000 in the last round.    

It's still good money but it's not as drastic as losing £150,000 entirely.  

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 10.22.09.png

Edited by Buckfast
We were on tv in the the third round so if we beat Elgin we are guaranteed £105,000. That doesn't' include any gate money earned.

If Murdoch is injured for longer then I think McInroy is the perfect replacement. He can cover the deeper role, while still providing a goal threat but can also play the more attacking role while interchanging with Dempsey of McAvoy is unavailable. If everyone is fit he could fill in at left back - I have no idea how he performs there but surely can’t be any worse than Paddy…

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

My point is that the only reason he is being linked with us is because he's been here before. His ability doesn't come into it, he isn’t actually needed. We've got an abundance of midfielders. Even if Murdoch were injured (hopefully speculation), is he the right replacement? I'm not convinced.

It's also not comparable to Moffat or Geggan at all. There was a need for both of them as we were building the 2017/18 squad in the summer and had just gone full time. I can't imagine any fan questioned bringing in either of them in at the time. Both having won League One and playing Championship football. If they did they had taken leave of their senses. No signing is a sure thing but that double signing of Moffat & Geggan was as close to a no brainer as you could get.

But if he wasn’t any good in his last spell then he wouldn’t be linked either. It’s a convenient move to make for a couple of reasons. Bullen sees a need for another midfielder now. There’s maybe a potential there to negotiate his release from Kilmarnock and get him next season. If we needed a midfielder and he hadn’t played for us last season I still think we’d be trying to sign him. 

Maybe we’ll just sign him to play left back anyway.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

We do have a lot of centre mids, however Kerr McInroy is absolutely miles better than Michael Hewitt who currently had a starting attacking CM role, so if Murdoch is indeed injured for a while then its an absolute yes for me if there was any truth in the rumour. 

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

100k from the cup and about 300k from finishing 4th and that's a good set up for next seasons budget.

Plus whatever the fee is when we inevitably sell Dipo. With that kinda budget you’d be expecting a proper go at winning the league. 

We still need to secure fourth though. 

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

With our style of play we're always going to concede goals, that's the trade off with scoring so many I'm afraid and in all fairness our defence has been pretty solid apart from the odd game, hence we're still 2nd in the league.

That’s fair enough if we’re conceding the majority of our goals due to the other team countering us. The goals we lost on Friday were horrendous and it down to players being hesitant. Fwiw I don’t think we’ll sign a defender now if the McInroy rumours are true as Bullen seems to be playing the waiting game with getting Musonda back. 

54 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Plus whatever the fee is when we inevitably sell Dipo. With that kinda budget you’d be expecting a proper go at winning the league. 

We still need to secure fourth though. 

I say fourth is the very minimum we'll achieve this season . I get it that heads are down post Larbert but it's one game . Completely confident we'll bounce back on Saturday. 

Well after that result the difference was obvious to see

Queens have brought in 4 three went straight in the team one on the bench and came on and are absolutely a lot stronger and will be in the top four

We brought a guy in who has played little football in the last two months and is clearly not up to speed so might take some time. I was really surprised he started the game based on his playing record recently.It is vital if we are to have a go we need at least three in on loan who can go straight in the team , if we go with what we have our back up youngsters are not ready for this yet, cover for injuries ok but that’s all, we won’t be in top four, all the results like last week went for us but we won’t get too many more opportunities like that.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

But if he wasn’t any good in his last spell then he wouldn’t be linked either. It’s a convenient move to make for a couple of reasons. Bullen sees a need for another midfielder now. There’s maybe a potential there to negotiate his release from Kilmarnock and get him next season. If we needed a midfielder and he hadn’t played for us last season I still think we’d be trying to sign him. 

Maybe we’ll just sign him to play left back anyway.

If Murdoch is injured for a decent period I could understand it. However, if not and we have scant resources I'd be trying to get a couple of new full backs in.

He'd still be an improvement at left back tbf. Reading has been getting a pass this season on former glories but has been rubbish. At least on Friday he got forward once or twice.

I'm not anti McInroy but after signing McAlear on loan I don't think there is space for him. I also think if that deal had been on we would have done it before now and before McAlear. 

1 hour ago, Lochwood said:

Queens have brought in 4 three went straight in the team one on the bench and came on and are absolutely a lot stronger and will be in the top four

We brought a guy in who has played little football in the last two months and is clearly not up to speed so might take some time. I was really surprised he started the game based on his playing record recently.It is vital if we are to have a go we need at least three in on loan who can go straight in the team , if we go with what we have our back up youngsters are not ready for this yet, cover for injuries ok but that’s all, we won’t be in top four, all the results like last week went for us but we won’t get too many more opportunities like that.

Chin up mate, we're still in the shake up. Definitely an opportunity missed on Friday but there will be lots of twists and turns to come. 

I'd still like to see us go back to 442.  Its been pointed out a few times that the reason for going 3 in the middle was to give us extra control etc, but on Friday they swarmed us every time they attacked and crowded us out every time we did.  

Edited by Hursty

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

So if we're not top 4 who is ?

Thistle or Morton who've both just been ragdolled by the worst teams in the league that we've stuffed around the same period ?

Or maybe Raith or Inverness who are a good bit behind, completely inconsistent and struggle to score goals ??

No, I'm quite happy with where we're at and it would take a monumental collapse for us not to be involved in the play off mix, irrespective of whether we bring in anyone else or not.

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

I don’t see us being ready for winning the league but it’s an overreaction to write us off for top four altogether. We should still have enough for that. 

52 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see us being ready for winning the league but it’s an overreaction to write us off for top four altogether. We should still have enough for that. 

100% this.

Play offs sounds like an appealing thing, we'd have a better bash at that now than when we flopped out to Inverness under McCall. Any loans should be to improve the defence imo.

Next three league games are against Partick, Raith and Inverness. If we collect 5/6 points from that, I think we can be very confident of finishing 4th or above.

The league game after that is against Dundee. Although that will be moved if we make it through to the next round of the cup.

Edited by AuAl

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

I'd still like to see us go back to 442.  Its been pointed out a few times that the reason for going 3 in the middle was to give us extra control etc, but on Friday they swarmed us every time they attacked and crowded us out every time we did.  

Without Chalmers, I don’t see us having the balance to play 4-4-2.  McAlear was anonymous on Friday, but with some match fitness plus Murdoch back, 3 in the middle could work.