The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

32 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Hmm…all sounds a bit Simon Stainrod to me.  Hopefully Bullen has learned his lesson, or Mathie has learned it for him.

It’s very common for managers to take recommendations from people they know. Especially when it’ll be relatively cheap risk. 

However I agree that the model we’ve adopted through Glendinning is the best way forward. 

56 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s very common for managers to take recommendations from people they know. Especially when it’ll be relatively cheap risk. 

However I agree that the model we’ve adopted through Glendinning is the best way forward. 

That’s not at issue.  The problem is a very obvious conflict of interest - the person giving the recommendation is also the players agent and therefore has a financial interest in talking him up to get a deal.  And it certainly isn’t a cheap risk.  We’ve given a full time 2 year contract to a player who has proved to be so bad that we’ve barely played him.  That’s a contract that could have gone to someone who might have made an actual contribution of some kind.  I credit Mathie for managing to put him out on loan - personally I think Cove have lost the plot by taking him.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

That’s not at issue.  The problem is a very obvious conflict of interest - the person giving the recommendation is also the players agent and therefore has a financial interest in talking him up to get a deal.  And it certainly isn’t a cheap risk.  We’ve given a full time 2 year contract to a player who has proved to be so bad that we’ve barely played him.  That’s a contract that could have gone to someone who might have made an actual contribution of some kind.  I credit Mathie for managing to put him out on loan - personally I think Cove have lost the plot by taking him.

Bully explained how it all came about at the vision night and acknowledged it was a risk (same as virtually every transfer), Mathie was present and also seemed happy enough with how it all came about, so nothing dodgy or underhand here and the whole situation was out in the open with the fans before Bangala even arrived.

Yes, it's not worked out but using your trusted contacts and acquaintances is part and parcel of the game at every level.

A massive three games coming up : Queens away followed by Elgin then Thistle at home . Doesn't get much better than that . I'd urge everyone who can,  to turn off the telly on Friday and get up to Larbert . It may well be one of those "were you there" nights ! The Ayr fans will be packed into the shed behind the goals , with a very SRE feel to it , a real home from home .. so let's get up there and rock the place ...

7 hours ago, Thumper said:

For what it's worth I'm back in team happy-clap. Brilliant bit of psychology for the club to be deliberately pish and lull their closest rivals into taking it easy during the winter transfer window only to explode out of it at the end like the A-Team van out of a barn. Just need QP to get ejected from the cup and then pap them on Friday now.

party GIF

25 minutes ago, ButAtWhatCost1 said:

Here you go boys and girls

Must be absolutely gutting for Cove that they had to play such a high-profile replay behind closed doors.

Akinyemi for the first ❤️❤️❤️

If Ashford's shots were not magnetically attracted to goalkeepers' shins he'd be the next Inzaghi.

Edited by Thumper

24 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Must be absolutely gutting for Cove that they had to play such a high-profile replay behind closed doors.

Akinyemi for the first ❤️❤️❤️

If Ashford's shots were not magnetically attracted to goalkeepers' shins he'd be the next Inzaghi.

His movement is very good and he has a decent touch but he genuinely might be one of the worst finishers we’ve ever had. 

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Bully explained how it all came about at the vision night and acknowledged it was a risk (same as virtually every transfer), Mathie was present and also seemed happy enough with how it all came about, so nothing dodgy or underhand here and the whole situation was out in the open with the fans before Bangala even arrived.

Yes, it's not worked out but using your trusted contacts and acquaintances is part and parcel of the game at every level.

I seriously doubt that signing a player you know nothing about purely on a recommendation from the player’s agent is  part and parcel of the game.   I was at the vision night too and I don’t think it was particularly explained - the chat was that no one at the club personally knew of Bangala and he was coming to us through a third party recommendation and it was a bit of a risk.  Don’t recall any mention of the 3rd party being the player’s agent, who clearly has a financial interest in overselling the players ability!  It’s certainly stung us. 

I don’t think there’s anything dodgy going on, but hopefully lessons are learned.

Was Bullen not down playing in a testimonial at Wednesday and it was a former teammate, or possibly a French lad from his under 23s, that knew Bangala and recommended him? That's what I remember of the Vision night. 

Did they not also have him in at training for a look at him before he signed?

53 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Was Bullen not down playing in a testimonial at Wednesday and it was a former teammate, or possibly a French lad from his under 23s, that knew Bangala and recommended him? That's what I remember of the Vision night. 

Did they not also have him in at training for a look at him before he signed?

I thought Bullen said at vision night he was recommended by a player he played with abroad but admitted he had not seen him play and it could be a risk signing , he did not train with club , he arrived and signed the forms and went home on the same day 

12 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I thought Bullen said at vision night he was recommended by a player he played with abroad but admitted he had not seen him play and it could be a risk signing , he did not train with club , he arrived and signed the forms and went home on the same day 

He also said the club looked at his scouting data and did due diligence on him so weren't signing him purely on recommendation. 

Regardless, it is incredibly funny that a player that the club bought sight-unseen who turned out to be less than stellar has now been signed by Paul Hartley, who assembled an entire squad of such which led directly to Falkirk having now spent half a decade in the seaside league.

I don't believe Reda Johnson is Bangala's agent and just that he asked Bullen if he was looking for any players and mentioned his name. Only connection from what I can see is Johnson being at Eastleigh the same time as an ex Le Havre youth player that Bangala would know.

Not that it really was much different to other signings we make, apart from not watching him live. Mathie and Glendinning were still involved and I imagine they'll get plenty of recommendations themselves from football people that never go anywhere.