The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Brian is an all round good guy.

Remember going to the station one day and he was writing up a list of players who played for ourselves and the soapdodgers.

An absolute gent, and felt really bad for him when the station burnt to the ground.

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Hopefully Bangala plays every game for Cove he can and he can come back a better player for next season, if not, maybe they’ll take him off our hands permanently. 

The window has seen more exits than entrances and we could well be short of players with a couple more injuries and suspensions. 
it’s probably where youth loans are needed, have players who have been playing u21 or b team football and get them playing and training with first team players at another club and trying to make an impact. Hopefully we will get a couple in to beef up the squad a bit. 

I get what you are saying with more exits than ins, however Moffat, Bangala and Ecrepont had 14 appearances between them. Young being away gives us a good chance to get Bryden proper sub appearances and Chalmers was just unfortunate.  I reckon we should be good enough for top 3 now. 2023 has been not bad so far, into last 16 on the cup, 10 points from 12 with 11 goals for and 2 against!  Albeit against the bottom 3 teams in the league, but you can only beat what is in front of you.  Friday will give us a good idea of where we are. 

24 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Remember going to the station one day and he was writing up a list of players who played for ourselves and the soapdodgers.

An absolute gent, and felt really bad for him when the station burnt to the ground.

I remember him doing that too 😊 My input was Barry McLaughlin, the only player he missed tbf.

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I still reckon we see one more addition.

Maybe reading between the lines a bit too much but..

“We’ve always talked about the benefit of having consistency within the playing staff and I am pleased with the business we have been able to do thus far.

30 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Agreed, quite often I almost missed the train blethering with him about football. 

Bangala is a bit of a mystery.  He did seem to be playing at a sensible level in Slovakia, and while Bullen freely admitted at the Vision Night that no one at the club had personal knowledge of the player, we’ve obviously gone with a recommendation from someone we trust that he was decent.  I assumed there might be some connection to Bullen via his Sheffield Wednesday days, but didn’t sound like it.  

But really, Bangala doesn’t look like he’s ever played professional football in his life before arriving at Ayr.  Can only wish him well, but in truth, he’s looked utterly out his depth.

13 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Bangala is a bit of a mystery.  He did seem to be playing at a sensible level in Slovakia, and while Bullen freely admitted at the Vision Night that no one at the club had personal knowledge of the player, we’ve obviously gone with a recommendation from someone we trust that he was decent.  I assumed there might be some connection to Bullen via his Sheffield Wednesday days, but didn’t sound like it.  

But really, Bangala doesn’t look like he’s ever played professional football in his life before arriving at Ayr.  Can only wish him well, but in truth, he’s looked utterly out his depth.

Bangalas agent is a former team mate of Bullen when they were at Sheff Wed.

22 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Maybe reading between the lines a bit too much but..

“We’ve always talked about the benefit of having consistency within the playing staff and I am pleased with the business we have been able to do thus far.

Yes, I'm sure there were rumours yesterday that we'd be bringing in AT LEAST one more and that was before we knew Davie boy was offski !!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

This is the thing, with our current squad I'd say they've all got a part to play and I wouldn't say we have anyone right now who you'd refer to as a "nightmare", "waste of space", "dumpling", "totally useless" etc and I'm pretty sure it's been a while since we could say that !!

My only slight concern is if Dipo was to be injured it would mean going with Bryden and McKenzie (probably) as our 2 main strikers and I'm not 100% convinced that either are quite ready for that, although both undoubtedly have a huge part still to play.

Lots of options now though with Daire back and JML looking more confident and both Smith and Hewitt also proving that they are capable at this level if required.

All in all it's been a fantastic week, a great 3 points and confidence boosting victory coupled with another excellent victory in the cup using lots of our squad players, getting them game time, match fitness and confidence and at the end of it having an extremely winnable home tie to get us into the money spinning and exciting last 8 of the Cup. Over and above this it's been a great transfer window where we've held on to all our prized assets and even managed to add a proven player at this level at a great age in the correct position that we really were short in.

Now we just need the cherry on top of the cake at Ochilview on Friday......

Agree with all that , especially regarding the young guys who Bullen seems to be bringing along nicely and certainly better than we've managed in the not too distant past. Only thing I'd add to this would be wanting to see Murdoch and Mussonda fully fit and fighting for their place as soon as possible. Injuries and suspensions have cost us in previous seasons so a fully fit squad is vital if we are to mount a serious challenge. I still think Dundee will win this league but I'd love my team to prove me wrong. QP offloading their top scorer was a strange one so that might be one they'll regret? 

Well done to everyone at the club - a brilliant week so far; let's make it even better on Friday.  

48 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I get what you are saying with more exits than ins, however Moffat, Bangala and Ecrepont had 14 appearances between them. Young being away gives us a good chance to get Bryden proper sub appearances and Chalmers was just unfortunate.  I reckon we should be good enough for top 3 now. 2023 has been not bad so far, into last 16 on the cup, 10 points from 12 with 11 goals for and 2 against!  Albeit against the bottom 3 teams in the league, but you can only beat what is in front of you.  Friday will give us a good idea of where we are. 

They didn’t play much but they were there if needed. We don’t have them now and a couple of injuries could mean we need them. 

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They didn’t play much but they were there if needed. We don’t have them now and a couple of injuries could mean we need them. 

Ecrepont is the only one who would properly cover someone if the top player in that position is to get seriously injured (Reading), however we have Houston and Musonda (stop laughing at the back there) who are more than capable replacements at left back).  Centre mid we have Murdoch, Dempsey, Smith and Hewitt who were all in front of Bangala plus McAlear who is now in and offers the midfield something different. Chalmers is the hard one to replace, but JML has come on and you have Ashford and O'Connor waiting in the wings.  We have a squad of 21? who have played minutes for us this season.  I'm happy enough with this squad for the rest of the season, would I take another player?  Absolutely, but if it doesn't materialise then the squad will do. 

Aye hopefully we can see who’s available on a loan and allowing Bangala to go should allow us to offer a higher percentage of a players wage. 

Plus it allows the big man to play and at the level we need him to be at. 

43 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Disappointed we never got to sing Bangala's name to the tune of "Havana" by Camilla Cabello (or whatever her name is).

He didn't walk up with that, "How you doin'?"

When he came in the room

He said comment allez-vous