The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

46 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Aye I felt quite sorry for Ecrepont in that game at Partick. I'm not sure if it was because he hadn't had enough first team minutes to be prepared, or if he just wasn't good enough / up to it, but he was absolutely rinsed at least 7/8 times and looked really lost on the pitch. As you say, he probably should have been taken off earlier as I can't imagine 80 or so minutes of that is good for someone's self esteem, especially considering how few appearances he has had with the first team to this point.

He looked very uncomfortable defending as a right back at points in all the games.  The best was against Raith but they were awful that day.  Mullin should have played there while cover was needed.  

24 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

To be fair during the time of that Partick game the squad was riddled with a virus. Ecrepont certainly looked like a player who lacked energy.

He wasn't in the squad the following week v Dundee as he was really bad with it.

36 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I wished we judged the other backs to the same standard as Ecrepont. Reading has been very poor this season. Barely getting forward and traffic cone esque when trying to stop crosses.

Reading has built up some good will after having a few good seasons. If his form continues for a while then he will get similar stick. 

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

Reading has built up some good will after having a few good seasons. If his form continues for a while then he will get similar stick. 

Were they when he was at Middlesbrough?

54 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

To be fair during the time of that Partick game the squad was riddled with a virus. Ecrepont certainly looked like a player who lacked energy.

The guy he was up against is also one of the quickest in the league and hit a bit of form at that time. When you are off your natural foot and having to reposition  slightly at times it makes i even harder to stop them

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Were they when he was at Middlesbrough?

That's pretty unfair, he's been decent to good for most of the last year and a half and his form dip only really came about in the past couple of months.

On the other hand Houston has been poor since his pal left the club with only the odd good game here and there.

Having said that, neither are a Nicky Devlin or a Danny Harvie that's for sure.

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's pretty unfair, he's been decent to good for most of the last year and a half and his form dip only really came about in the past couple of months.

Not sure that's true. Truth is probably more the CB's (Roscoe, Baird, McGinty etc.) got all the flak but in reality Reading's has always looked weak defensively. Lacks a bit of aggression to stop crosses, easily beaten inside and 4 or 5 goals lost due to his failure to defend the back post when crosses come in from the left.

In fairness this is the first time he's had the same manager for a year but concerns would be he's not showed any improvement since. Attacking wise he seems reluctant to cross from deep and most of his crosses from the byline go out for a throw in, corner or goal kick.

IMO his next move is probably the National League or below. Hopefully proves me wrong but if not I suppose we'll always have that goal.

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Not sure that's true. Truth is probably more the CB's (Roscoe, Baird, McGinty etc.) got all the flak but in reality Reading's has always looked weak defensively. Lacks a bit of aggression to stop crosses, easily beaten inside and 4 or 5 goals lost due to his failure to defend the back post when crosses come in from the left.

In fairness this is the first time he's had the same manager for a year but concerns would be he's not showed any improvement since. Attacking wise he seems reluctant to cross from deep and most of his crosses from the byline go out for a throw in, corner or goal kick.

IMO his next move is probably the National League or below. Hopefully proves me wrong but if not I suppose we'll always have that goal.

All about opinions, but in mine he has been one of our best performers consistently over the past 2 seasons and I was happy when he signed the extension. I also found him to be miles ahead of Houston in regards to creativity going forward and his positioning at the back and willingness to put in a challenge but as I say that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Don’t think it’s fair to judge ecrepont for the Patrick game- he was playing out of position and had very little first team action 

That's damning for a player who's been around the squad for about 6 seasons now. Manager after manager hasnt rated him for whatever reason. It's a shame as I always want to see young lads who are fans of the club make it here

Not sure why Ecrepont has never been tried further up the park as all his best abilities seem to be when attacking and he’s shown a number of times that he cannot defend at all.

As for Reading he’s been consistently shite at most things for at least a year now. His worst probably being the first 45 minutes at Rugby Park which was forgotten because of his winner.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That's damning for a player who's been around the squad for about 6 seasons now. Manager after manager hasnt rated him for whatever reason. It's a shame as I always want to see young lads who are fans of the club make it here

He signed as he turned 16 and is still only 20. For a year or two after signing he was still at school part of the week so has only been proper!y full-time for a year or two. I would love to see him get 90 minutes in his best position. Hopefully he'll have the opportunity at Stranraer and be ready to kick on next season.

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There’s yet another Cove signing for tonight…

They are looking in far better shape than us, unfortunately. 

His last league start for Queens Park saw him subbed in a 5-0 defeat at Somerset back in October so certainly not one I'd see as instantly improving our own starting XI or someone we should instantly be fearing 

Just now, Hursty said:

His last league start for Queens Park saw him subbed in a 5-0 defeat at Somerset back in October so certainly not one I'd see as instantly improving our own starting XI or someone we should instantly be fearing 

It was more a general point around squad depth for tonight, he seems to have dropped off the last couple of seasons but I wouldn’t say he definitely wouldn’t improve us given our full back options. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It was more a general point around squad depth for tonight, he seems to have dropped off the last couple of seasons but I wouldn’t say he definitely wouldn’t improve us given our full back options. 

Aye fair enough- I'm kind of contradicting myself in posts as I definitely want new faces in and feel we are of course weaker now after losing Chalmers - however I hope if we do play poorly and get beat tonight it's not just blamed on a general lack of signings etc - unless there are new injuries that we don't know about then the manager should be able to select a team tonight that can go and win this game,  Cove with a few new faces or not.