The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

4 ex Ayr players in the Darvel squad earlier. Certainly brought back some memories seeing Moore and Meggatt. Not all good memories but some great ones too 

I certainly don't ever remember Meggatt being as commanding in the air as he looked last night!

22 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So what you're saying is he'd fit right in with Ayr's current strikeforce sans Akinyemi?

Anyway, I said weeks ago that there would be no signings because the club doesn't want to get promoted right now very much more than it wants to get relegated, and the club's not getting relegated. So enjoy the same hoofball dross for another few months. Oh, and getting beat by Cove when they tell the SFA they're happy to have a replay.

It would harm the club medium term to allow an all-out collapse at this stage. Much like Cameron cutting budgets a year after fans stepped up and we were able to keep most of the Championship winning team.

The club need to remain competitive at the top end this season and at least make the play-offs. Having barely been out the top two and having spanked Queen’s Park, there is no reason we can’t do that.

Having been shite since the clocks went back, we really need a freshen up right now, in players and playing style. Two back to back defeats and we could be out the top 4 and that would be a sore one for the fans and the club. The whole atmosphere would change.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

So what you're saying is he'd fit right in with Ayr's current strikeforce sans Akinyemi?

Anyway, I said weeks ago that there would be no signings because the club doesn't want to get promoted right now very much more than it wants to get relegated, and the club's not getting relegated. So enjoy the same hoofball dross for another few months. Oh, and getting beat by Cove when they tell the SFA they're happy to have a replay.

Got any evidence to back that up as it’s a pretty bold claim? 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It’s nonsense based on a quiet transfer window really… 

For all clubs that is, not just us. Unfortunate that we are currently weaker than we were before the window, but still think we’ll come out stronger. 

There’s a huge difference between a club not wanting to be promoted and a club that hasn’t planned for promotion thus far. I have no doubts that we’re ahead of where the likes of Smith and Mathie thought we’d be. No one will want our return to the top flight to happen at the same time we have to shut a portion of the ground for building work. 

However, just like last time, if it happened the club would go with it. We’d likely need to address most of the playing squad but even finishing 12th in the top flight would have us in a stronger position going back into the Championship than we are right now. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You missed the qualifier off. I'm not saying that the club wouldn't take promotion, but it's obviously not in the manager's remit this season if a nonexistent midfield and an attacking lineup of whom you'd only trust one of them to score into an empty net more than half the time is not getting looked at in the window, not least because loan recalls have left it weaker than it already was.

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

I certainly don't ever remember Meggatt being as commanding in the air as he looked last night!

Fairly sure he played at the same time as Mckenna. Tough gig for anyone to look good in that defence as we were battling relegation 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

However, just like last time, if it happened the club would go with it. We’d likely need to address most of the playing squad but even finishing 12th in the top flight would have us in a stronger position going back into the Championship than we are right now

Worth pointing out that nearly half the teams in this league are cautionary tales to this effect, and the same also applies for nearly half the teams in League One. Ayr are the odd ones out of the current Championship stalwarts in that they've never managed to get promoted out of it in the colour TV era.

12 minutes ago, Thumper said:

You missed the qualifier off. I'm not saying that the club wouldn't take promotion, but it's obviously not in the manager's remit this season if a nonexistent midfield and an attacking lineup of whom you'd only trust one of them to score into an empty net more than half the time is not getting looked at in the window, not least because loan recalls have left it weaker than it already was.

There is still a week to go in the window. I’d still expect at least 2 possibly 3 players in.

26 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No one will want our return to the top flight to happen at the same time we have to shut a portion of the ground for building work. 

Think this is overstated.

We haven’t been in the top flight in in 45 years. I couldn’t care less if part of the ground is closed if we get there.

Still think 5th/6th is where we will end up. Chalmers won't be adequately replaced if at all and we were already poor for quite some time with him in the team.  The folk that bought into the promotion stuff will be disappointed but It will be a decent enough finish compared to last year.  

Main focus from now is keeping the goals coming for Dipo as it will affect his value in the summer if it just dries up like it is at the moment.  1 goal in 6, that keeps up and he might be seen as a flash in the pan.  Secondary should be getting some gametime for the younger players who have been on the bench.  

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Still think 5th/6th is where we will end up. Chalmers won't be adequately replaced if at all and we were already poor for quite some time with him in the team.  The folk that bought into the promotion stuff will be disappointed but It will be a decent enough finish compared to last year.  

Main focus from now is keeping the goals coming for Dipo as it will affect his value in the summer if it just dries up like it is at the moment.  1 goal in 6, that keeps up and he might be seen as a flash in the pan.  Secondary should be getting some gametime for the younger players who have been on the bench.  

Pretty much what I expect. Will be dependent on whether anyone goes on devastating shitty runs like Partick's seven straight defeats or Queens Park start letting people hammer them again. At the same time it is a massive improvement that relegation isn't remotely on the cards for the first time since McCall.