The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Ayr have had an odd few from the Loan market in recent times.

We had Afolabi on loan from Celtic and he wasn't that great. Bruce Anderson never fitted the system and never took off at Ayr and Steven Bradley never really had the time to make an impact, both are doing well now for Livingston. Calvin Miller looked awful at times, he's now away to Morton. James Maxwell from Sevco looked the part at times and is now at Doncaster Rovers.

Innes Cameron, who Ayr got on loan from the Unwashed, never looked that great either. Think he's now on loan at Queen of the south iirc.

I think the best loans we've had in recent times were from Ipswich 🫤 Corrie Ndaba and Aaron Drinan, who I think would be welcomed back into this Ayr team no bother. It's finding a like for like player of that sort of calibre that's the challenge.

Shame too many of our decent players have went to Livingston. Stephen Kelly included

Edited by Roxanne's man

38 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Ayr have had an odd few from the Loan market in recent times.

We had Afolabi on loan from Celtic and he wasn't that great. Bruce Anderson never fitted the system and never took off at Ayr and Steven Bradley never really had the time to make an impact, both are doing well now for Livingston. Calvin Miller looked awful at times, he's now away to Morton. James Maxwell from Sevco looked the part at times and is now at Doncaster Rovers.

Innes Cameron, who Ayr got on loan from the Unwashed, never looked that great either. Think he's now on loan at Queen of the south iirc.

I think the best loans we've had in recent times were from Ipswich 🫤 Corrie Ndaba and Aaron Drinan, who I think would be welcomed back into this Ayr team no bother. It's finding a like for like player of that sort of calibre that's the challenge.

Pler.

I went to the Celtic B vs Rangers B game last month (don’t judge me, my mate offered me a ticket), and I wouldn’t take any of the Rangers players in that team. Overall it wasn’t a good game despite the 5-2 result for Celtic. There were a couple Celtic players who looked really promising though.

Also, a pupil at my work has claimed that Mullin is his big cousin… So I’ll try and find out some information regarding his loan. 

If we're going to improve the squad and are serious about a promotion challenge then we need to be recruiting guys who'll be able to hit the ground running and walk straight into the starting 11, otherwise it's just a pointless exercise as we've already got ample back up on the bench for "squad" type players.

I also don't think we're in a situation where we can afford to take a chance on a few untried 17 year old loanees, irrespective of their future potential.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If we're going to improve the squad and are serious about a promotion challenge then we need to be recruiting guys who'll be able to hit the ground running and walk straight into the starting 11, otherwise it's just a pointless exercise as we've already got ample back up on the bench for "squad" type players.

I also don't think we're in a situation where we can afford to take a chance on a few untried 17 year old loanees, irrespective of their future potential.

I agree. I think Ayr should be targeting lower premier League team players on loan. Players on the outskirts of their teams first team.

Chalmers having been one. Dundee United, Ross County, Motherwell and the like.

15 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I agree. I think Ayr should be targeting lower premier League team players on loan. Players on the outskirts of their teams first team.

This is what I’d try and do but the problem is that with the number of substitutes they need bigger squads to fill the bench 

9 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Yes, either that or experienced / semi experienced fringe players from England, even if it meant a permanent signing with bonus clauses regarding promotion etc.

I mentioned this before but you'd think that Bullen would have excellent contacts down at Wednesday and if we could get players on loan from Ipswich then certainly no reason why we couldn't be getting someone up from Sheffield. Again though, even if we did they'd need to be ready to walk in to the first team.

Still, I suppose Glendinning, Bullen and Mathie know much more about all this than any of us panicking and speculating on P&B  🤣

30 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Killie have plenty of players way way out the picture up there . Ollie Shaw is a pretty obvious one .

Was being linked with Barnsley yesterday. Financially we would struggle to match them if the interest is real.

8 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Lots going on , feel comfortable that the recruitment team as a number of options , getting very to close to the last date that Mullin can be recalled , Chalmers had to go last week as it was agreed the last day they could recall him was the 13th I have heard 

Get a feeling the deadline will likely be tomorrow...

6 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Are they going to want to give us anyone though who could realistically strengthen us and end up with the scenario where their loanee relegates his parent club from the premiership if it gave us the opportunity to win the league?

3 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

A super sub for us if I remember correctly? 

If I remember correctly (no guarantee) I think it was the 91/92 season which remains one of my favourite seasons with lots of great performances and memorable games. Big Greg came on as a sub and seemed to score in almost every game and big Ally was superb at times. Some of the highs I remember was our 4-3 comeback at Cappielow and a 7-0 destruction of Meadowbank at Somerset plus got to the final of the B&Q cup again.

There were also some big home games in the League cup against St Johnstone and Hibs and also Motherwell in the Scottish all with big crowds and great atmospheres.

In some respects it all just seems like yesterday.....

28 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Are they going to want to give us anyone though who could realistically strengthen us and end up with the scenario where their loanee relegates his parent club from the premiership if it gave us the opportunity to win the league?

Outskirts of the first team 😊 meaning not getting game time at a premier League level, Josh Mullen being one of them. There will probably be a good few who see the opportunity of game time.

See your point though. Would be a right kick in the baws if Ayr got promoted and the loan giving team got relegated. However, I'm certain Livingston, Motherwell, st Johnstone and St mirren are safe bets to stay up. Ross County, Scumland and Dundee United will be scrapping at the bottom.

Edited by Roxanne's man

18 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I want an imminent imminently.

An imminent tweet could be imminent but even then we know that an imminently imminent, imminent tweet doesn’t result in an imminent signing.