The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think this is more likely. Link up with a manager that he’s worked with before and it’s a move that will give him more exposure. If he does well for six months down there he’ll earn himself a better contract that he’d ever get in Scotland. 

We can’t really do much about it and I can’t really fault Chalmers either. 

I don't think anyone could possibly try and argue that Dundee United right now are playing at a massive level above Ayr, so given that he can't get in the Dundee United squad in the Scottish Premier then I don't see how playing for Tranmere can be seen as a major step up from where he is currently, if you get my drift ?

I also don't believe that he massively excelled at Ayr either, Yes, he has potential and he can be good to watch but ultimately he flattered to deceive quite often where his decision making was poor and his end product non existent. 

I would of course still rather have him to call on but don't think he's quite the loss that many are making out and losing Mullin would have been far worse in my opinion.

Talking of "old Managers", You'd think that Sheff Wed would have a player or two who Mr Bullen could maybe go calling on, given that he left the club on very good terms and seemed to have a very good relationship with his youth teams ??

Without wanting to get into one of those tedious debates about how we compare with England, I think the vast majority of people will see that as a higher level.

There’s also the exposure part. Tranmere are pulling in crowds of 6k on average and the crowds across that league dwarf ours.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't think anyone could possibly try and argue that Dundee United right now are playing at a massive level above Ayr, so given that he can't get in the Dundee United squad in the Scottish Premier then I don't see how playing for Tranmere can be seen as a major step up from where he is currently, if you get my drift ?

I also don't believe that he massively excelled at Ayr either, Yes, he has potential and he can be good to watch but ultimately he flattered to deceive quite often where his decision making was poor and his end product non existent. 

I would of course still rather have him to call on but don't think he's quite the loss that many are making out and losing Mullin would have been far worse in my opinion.

Talking of "old Managers", You'd think that Sheff Wed would have a player or two who Mr Bullen could maybe go calling on, given that he left the club on very good terms and seemed to have a very good relationship with his youth teams ??

Depends what he considers a step up. He’ll get far more money down there than he’d realistically get up here. I don’t think a player can be blamed for that. 

As for how he did at Ayr he was one of our best players. Can’t really argue against that. Every single attacking player in this league is inconsistent. Mullin doesn’t perform every single week either. Chalmers was capable of doing something that would result in a goal and when you look at the games he played in I’d say he did that almost every week. He’s a massive loss for us because I don’t think we have a chance in hell of getting a player in who’s as good as he is. 

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Depends what he considers a step up. He’ll get far more money down there than he’d realistically get up here. I don’t think a player can be blamed for that. 

As for how he did at Ayr he was one of our best players. Can’t really argue against that. Every single attacking player in this league is inconsistent. Mullin doesn’t perform every single week either. Chalmers was capable of doing something that would result in a goal and when you look at the games he played in I’d say he did that almost every week. He’s a massive loss for us because I don’t think we have a chance in hell of getting a player in who’s as good as he is. 

I would disagree that we won’t get someone in as good. Look at the way we recruited the likes of Dempsey and dipo. It’s just we won’t know what they will be like until they sign and see them play 

eta we may also get a gondoh or a Bangala on the other hand 

Edited by ryanayr1987

54 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Without wanting to get into one of those tedious debates about how we compare with England, I think the vast majority of people will see that as a higher level.

There’s also the exposure part. Tranmere are pulling in crowds of 6k on average and the crowds across that league dwarf ours.

The off field facilities of clubs in that league are also better than most in Scotland. That league is well paid but if you can go up a level then it sets you up

46 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I would disagree that we won’t get someone in as good. Look at the way we recruited the likes of Dempsey and dipo. It’s just we won’t know what they will be like until they sign and see them play 

eta we may also get a gondoh or a Bangala on the other hand 

I think for that particular position it’s more miss than hit. I’m not even sure we’ll sign a winger. If O’Connor is fit I’d be happy with him as a starter for six months provided the money was spent getting a really good striker or attacking midfielder to play off Dipo. 

Amazed people critise Chalmers for flattering to deceive, when certain players are currently delivering zero everytime they get on the pitch, suppose some folk are hoodwinked to see players running around doing nothing, I'd personally would rather watch a footballer, each to their own, Chalmers will definitely be missed. 

1 hour ago, Mod1967 said:

Amazed people critise Chalmers for flattering to deceive, when certain players are currently delivering zero everytime they get on the pitch, suppose some folk are hoodwinked to see players running around doing nothing, I'd personally would rather watch a footballer, each to their own, Chalmers will definitely be missed. 

This guy gets it.

No guarantees in football but if Chalmers had played on Saturday we would have won the goal they scored was a fluke but how many times this year have you seen Chalmers have those type of shots on goal, boy can ping a ball, wish him all the best but a chance to play for his old manager was too good to turn round and obviously a chance to up his money going forward, I look forward to watching for his results.

For Ayr we definitely need a partner for Dipo and a quality midfielder, get that and we won’t be far away, the Raith fans I spoke to were not wrong don’t rely on Musonda he’ll play when he wants class player but made of chocolate. I said before I spoke to him in the stand a few weeks ago and asked when he’ll be back his answer maybe January, we’ll we have two more weeks, I’m not holding my breath.

The Chalmers episode just highlights the risk of relying on loan players in your first team. They can be recalled by the parent club or re-loaned as in this case and there's sod all you can do. We did the same to Peterhead with Hewitt. Just got to suck it up and move on. And instead of loan shopping recruit some gems like Dipo 😎

The loan system is inevitably a double edged sword.  On one hand it allows you to access a standard of player that would otherwise be beyond you.  On the other hand, they will always be short term options which makes it tough to evolve a team over time.  I don’t see it changing though.  Playing the loan system well is just part of the picture at our level now, in a way it never was in the past.

45 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The loan system is inevitably a double edged sword.  On one hand it allows you to access a standard of player that would otherwise be beyond you.  On the other hand, they will always be short term options which makes it tough to evolve a team over time.  I don’t see it changing though.  Playing the loan system well is just part of the picture at our level now, in a way it never was in the past.

Reid getting Kevin James on loan from St Johnstone was arguably the point at which the club got its shit back together after several years in the doldrums of mid-table third tier football. A good loan can transform a club. The problem is that the sort of players that Ayr desperately need (good, ball-winning midfielders; target men; full backs who don't shit their pants every other game) are hard to find on loan.

Re: McGinty: yes he's been a very important player at points and a centre half who can get multiple goals a season from corners is wonderful. But at the same time my assertion is that if McGinty is one of the better-performing players in the squad then that says more about the squad then it does McGinty.

Personally I reckon it'll be option 3 anyway. Maybe a loan or two to shore things up, but there was never any intention of getting promoted until the NT is rebuilt and even narrowly missing the playoffs will probably be seen as fine. The important thing is that the club has never once looked like it might get relegated, which is a huge change from every post-McCall season thus far.

Edited by Thumper

Aye I think fans sometimes forget the biggest development to the ground since perhaps when floodlights were first installed decades ago is happening next season. 

Hospitality income will be wiped out (I think?) and the capacity of the ground will take a huge hit so no potentially big cup games either. 

It's hugely exciting but we have to be realistic re player signings. 

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

16 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Reid getting Kevin James on loan from St Johnstone was arguably the point at which the club got its shit back together after several years in the doldrums of mid-table third tier football. A good loan can transform a club. The problem is that the sort of players that Ayr desperately need (good, ball-winning midfielders; target men; full backs who don't shit their pants every other game) are hard to find on loan.

Re: McGinty: yes he's been a very important player at points and a centre half who can get multiple goals a season from corners is wonderful. But at the same time my assertion is that if McGinty is one of the better-performing players in the squad then that says more about the squad then it does McGinty.

Personally I reckon it'll be option 3 anyway. Maybe a loan or two to shore things up, but there was never any intention of getting promoted until the NT is rebuilt and even narrowly missing the playoffs will probably be seen as fine. The important thing is that the club has never once looked like it might get relegated, which is a huge change from every post-McCall season thus far.

It’s tough to admit when you’ve got it wrong.  McGinty arrived with a bad reputation with Morton fans and a so-so reputation with Partick fans.  Many Ayr fans pre-judged the situation and assumed he would be awful, particularly given his signing was too closely connected to Hopkin, an appointment that was unpopular from the get go.  

There was a period last season where we seemed to be scapegoating McGinty for every goal we conceded which was always unfair.  Even if it wasn’t, the player has clearly responded to Lee Bullen and has barely put a foot wrong since last January.  He also seems to have emerged as a popular club captain as well.  

I think the time has come for the guy to be given some credit.  Personally I see no reason why a fit Musonda would necessarily displace McGinty at the moment.  But on the worst analysis, he has emerged as a solid back up option at centre half.

But in the end, I think there are a few fans who have nailed their colours so firmly to the mast that they aren’t able to recognise that with the right manager and coaching staff, McGinty has proven that he is an entirely decent championship standard defender.

38 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Mcginty has been pretty solid since bullen came in . And has scoted more  goals than Sam Ashford. 

Not exactly hard I think if I was in the team I’d score more than Sam and im 17 stone 

I can’t run around as much so would be deemed lazy(I am)

Edited by ryanayr1987