The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I don’t understand why people are writing us off to win the league unless we sign 5/6 players. Would I be happy with top 4 given the last few seasons? Absolutely. But there is no reason why we shouldn’t be optimistic of a title push right to the end.

With a couple decent additions, and Dipo getting back on form (both of which I’m sure will happen), who’s to say we can’t challenge? Our form will improve, and as has been mentioned, we’re never out of a game. Just look at Dundee, after their result against us at Somerset, most people thought they’d start to run away with it. Now they’re back to 3rd albeit with a game in hand. Queens Park are top at the moment, but we’ve got their number so far this season and there’s no reason why we can’t take 6 points from our final games against them. Morton went on a 10 game undefeated streak until recently, last week they got beat off of a horrendous Hamilton team. Queens Park and Dundee will be signing players no doubt, and the good news is Ian McCall has said Partick won’t be signing anyone. Morton with all their contract renewals, letting players go and bringing some in, are now where most people thought they would be. Will I be furious if we don’t win the league? No. But I really don’t think it’s as out of reach as people are making out. 

It’s been proven that optimistic people live longer, so there’s another reason to believe that we can win the league this year. https://www.science.org/content/article/cheer-optimists-live-longer

8 hours ago, rb123! said:

Ffs never thought about him not being allowed to play in the cup...

He was not allowed to play last round in case he got recalled , but I think if he is staying to end of season he will be allowed to play this time 

2 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

I don’t understand why people are writing us off to win the league unless we sign 5/6 players. Would I be happy with top 4 given the last few seasons? Absolutely. But there is no reason why we shouldn’t be optimistic of a title push right to the end.

I reckon your not wrong here , we are now past half way and not far from the last third . Fifteen games to go and we are right there . Some big tests coming up but so does everyone else . Losing Logan is a blow as I think the business end of the season is where he would really have strutted his stuff . So it's over to our football department to shake us down and sort us out for the run in . Also not forgetting through to the next round of the cup on Saturday and another chunk of prize money and maybe a money spinning draw in the next round .

39 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

I reckon you’re not wrong here , we are now past half way and not far from the last third . Fifteen games to go and we are right there . Some big tests coming up but so does everyone else . Losing Logan is a blow as I think the business end of the season is where he would really have strutted his stuff . So it's over to our football department to shake us down and sort us out for the run in . Also not forgetting through to the next round of the cup on Saturday and another chunk of prize money and maybe a money spinning draw in the next round .

Yeah if we go through and get let’s say one of Rangers, Celtic, or Hearts away then that’s an excellent pay day for us to boost the squad. Knowing our luck it will be Falkirk at home.

3 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

Yeah if we go through and get let’s say one of Rangers, Celtic, or Hearts away then that’s an excellent pay day for us to boost the squad. Knowing our luck it will be Falkirk at home.

Falkirk at home to get into the Scottish Cup Quarter Final? Take that all day…

Given on the one hand im still wondering if the 18 point gap to Arbroath is enough to avoid the relegation playoffs im still fairly confident we will make the top 4. Losing Chalmers is a blow but when we get everyone fit were as good as anyone else in this league. A lot depends on how / if others strengthen and there form as much as ours as anyone can beat anyone else in this league

Im hopeful though given that we now actually seem to have some sort of plan with recruitment that we will have targets that we can move on quickly. Ideally we would be moving ahead with targets we had as potential summer signings and get them in either as full signings or initial loan with a view to signing in the summer.

To be fair if we manage that we will have done well. I think its more likely we will pick up players on loan

12 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Game was a farce couldn’t understand why the game was in doubt for the wind until I got into the ground, the abuse for Mcginty is unwarranted, the big man has held things together and deserves more credit than abuse. The boy Obrien  best centre back in the league for them was the same as most launching the ball all the time, don’t think supporters appreciated how hard that was for the players on Saturday

I hope we get a couple in this week for the cup game, need to remember we have no Mullin  not allowed to play the Villa boy, and Chalmers , so significantly weakened up front we will need some sort of threat if we are to progress.

The 3 of them all arrived after we had already been putting in a good run of performances, so apart from Daire the squad is the same as it was when we beat Cove up their the last time which was arguably one of our most controlled and best performances of the season.

I think many seem to have forgotten that.

Cove are a better side now to be fair as they showed at Somerset, they're performance up there was as bad as I've seen from a championship side it should have been 6-1 if not for horrific finishing, last weeks departures have undoubtedly weakened us, but we're definitely still very much in this I make us just sneaking 3rd favourites and have every confidence the club will have identified targets and be actively working on them, let's get phookin intae them!!!!

Where did Daire O'Connor come from and who had looked at him before signing? 

I know we've Glendinning and a much MUCH better eye for talent than that of the Hopkin era (Mullen, Dempsey, Musonda, Akinyemi etc) coming from teams all over Britain. Daire is Irish 🤔 Have we looked there? Declan Mcdaid seems to be doing not too bad with Bohemians 🫤

(I'm not suggesting Mcdaid)

Edited by Roxanne's man

I get people are saying that we did ok without chalmers and Mullen at the start of the season. Everyone was fresh then we weren’t carrying injuries and most people were in form that’s different to now when players are out of form players missing and playing with knocks. If we had chalmers available for Saturday I reckon we’d have won that game.

We need additions if we are to maintain our position in the playoffs never mind trying to improve on it and go for a title challenge 

4 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I get people are saying that we did ok without chalmers and Mullen at the start of the season. Everyone was fresh then we weren’t carrying injuries and most people were in form that’s different to now when players are out of form players missing and playing with knocks. If we had chalmers available for Saturday I reckon we’d have won that game.

We need additions if we are to maintain our position in the playoffs never mind trying to improve on it and go for a title challenge 

I do agree that we need at least a couple of players in but i was just meaning that if Musonda, Murdoch and O'Connor were all fit, coupled with the current squad, then it wouldn't be a complete disaster of a squad we had.

That said, they aren't fit and there's no doubt that a few of our players who were decent to good at the start of the season are definitely out of form at the moment so Yes, a couple of guys coming in who are ready to start in the first team are pretty much a requirement if we're to maintain a challenge for the league and also hope to progress in the cup.

19 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I see Logan Chalmers has joined Tranmere on loan. Strange one as I presumed it would have been a permanent deal. 

Unless it's part of a deal where he'll sign permanently it seems rather strange indeed and pretty poor by Dundee Utd, given that his loan with us was working out well, he was enjoying it and he was a first team regular.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I see Logan Chalmers has joined Tranmere on loan. Strange one as I presumed it would have been a permanent deal. 

Would imagine Tranmere paying more wages and Dundee United obviously wanting him to go play down south at a higher level (yes i'm saying that English league 2 is probably still higher quality than our league)

Plus it is his ex gaffer Micky Mellon that's down there

image.png.02d59aee69b7eddaecdff47d24b09f66.png

Edited by rb123!

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s possible he wanted the move himself.

I think this is more likely. Link up with a manager that he’s worked with before and it’s a move that will give him more exposure. If he does well for six months down there he’ll earn himself a better contract that he’d ever get in Scotland. 

We can’t really do much about it and I can’t really fault Chalmers either.