The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd say this is not only totally unfair (on McKenzie in particular) but it's also completely untrue. McKenzie has had some excellent games for us this season and Ashford was pretty decent at the beginning of the season, the fact we are where we are in the league tells you that they must have been doing something right and although both may not look like individual superstars, they've both contributed in the team dynamic to gain us some excellent results.

That said, I don't think either should be starters if we're serious about a run at promotion but both have certainly got much to contribute as squad players if and when required.

The bottom line is that we've lost both Chalmers and Young but recalled Hewitt and got Bryden back fit, so in terms of numbers we're still pretty large squad wise but of course there's no doubt that we're still well down in terms of quality and experience.

I'd hope / expect that we'd be bringing in at least 1 experienced attacking Mid / striker and another perhaps youngster on loan, if not, then it's unarguable that we've been weakened in January as opposed to kicking on from an excellent position.

Your opinion and I know you like people who run around a lot, but at our level you need more and they simply don't have more, can't score, can't create, can't beat anyone.....you are aware that they are forwards, serious question btw 

There were guys behind me (far right of the Railway end towards the bogs) absolutely slaughtering McGinty after our equaliser "haha big useless b*****d finally does something"

Annoys me. I like the big guy.   He's been good this season.  And having scrolled back through this thread to the day he signed I was absolutely one of his biggest critics and delighted to admit I was wrong. 

Edited by Hursty

11 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Your opinion and I know you like people who run around a lot, but at our level you need more and they simply don't have more, can't score, can't create, can't beat anyone.....you are aware that they are forwards, serious question btw 

Obviously our Managers opinion also or both wouldn't be near the team.

It's all very well having lots of Logan Chalmers types but you also need guys to do the hard graft to create space for others and to help out the defence. McKenzie and Ashford are both these types and while Ashford has been completely out of form for past few months he did have a decent start to the season and also did well enough last season to merit a place as a squad player.

I also think you'll find that McKenzie has scored a few and set up a few this season plus had a couple of MOM performances, so I really don't know what you have against him ??

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's all very well having lots of Logan Chalmers types but you also need guys to do the hard graft to create space for others and to help out the defence. McKenzie and Ashford are both these types and while Ashford has been completely out of form for past few months he did have a decent start to the season and also did well enough last season to merit a place as a squad player.

I also think you'll find that McKenzie has scored a few and set up a few this season plus had a couple of MOM performances, so I really don't know what you have against him ??

Nothing but they're not good enough, they absolutely don't create space for others, Ashford came on for the first time since he was hooked at half time at thistle for being utterly garbage, Bullen clearly saw enough he only got on today eventually in the absence of nothing else as we lost 2 forwards, McKenzie is infuriating as he was improving, but again he hugely flatters to deceive and again Bullen has taken him out the starting 11 recently, if mediocrity is what you're after fill yer team with them, but I want better 

10 minutes ago, Hursty said:

There were guys behind me (far right of the Railway end towards the bogs) absolutely slaughtering McGinty after our equaliser "haha big useless b*****d finally does something"

Annoys me. I like the big guy.   He's been good this season.  And having scrolled back through this thread to the day he signed I was absolutely one of his biggest critics and delighted to admit I was wrong. 

Should’ve heard the slagging he got at the end when he tried to put a cross in and over hit it out the park. 

I’d love to see any centre back in this league try and pick out a good cross in those conditions. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Should’ve heard the slagging he got at the end when he tried to put a cross in and over hit it out the park. 

I’d love to see any centre back in this league try and pick out a good cross in those conditions. 

There were so many comments today that were hilarious - people who have clearly never attempted to play football in a gale force wind before. 

Towards the end Reading was getting slaughtered for playing the ball first time, instead of taking it down on his chest. Attempt to take it down on your chest and every chance it spins in behind you 😂

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Our 4th top goal contributor in the league this season

0AD8A4FD-7CEA-49BC-9920-21FDA610A52C.png

1 minute ago, Mod1967 said:

Big McGinty is a decent, honest big lad at our level the abuse is and always has been nonsense, some listened to Morton and Thistle shite, he was getting blamed for goals that were nothing to do with him 

Until Bullen came in he was utterly horrific and up there with our worst ever - so it wasn’t remotely always nonsense. Since then he has generally been decent and any criticism is unwarranted. 

15 minutes ago, Hursty said:

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye the McGinty slagging is way over the top every week at the moment. He seems to get a lot of abuse even when others are far more deserving of criticism. He's an easy target as he had had previous but more than anything it's just boring to hear the shouts about him. Don't think he's really put a foot wrong for a while.

8 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

3 goals wow I stand corrected 

Don’t forgot the 4 assists 😉

He’s definitely improved this season (and right now is clearly our second best striker) but shows how much of a one man team we are out with Mullin and dempsey’s pens.

As others have said hopefully we can bring in another midfielder and striker this month. 

13 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Big McGinty is a decent, honest big lad at our level the abuse is and always has been nonsense, some listened to Morton and Thistle shite, he was getting blamed for goals that were nothing to do with him 

There are plenty of decent honest players at this level. They aren't anywhere near being a club captain though. Perhaps if he was left to earn  his place or not based on performances  then less abuse might come his way

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

people who have clearly never attempted to play football in a gale force wind before. 

This in a nutshell.  When Dempsey is trying to place the ball about 5 times before he can hit a penalty and folk are shouting that he needs to hit it quicker then you know the game is a farce.   It's 2 points dropped probably, but a better result than Morton losing at Hamilton so all in all, take it.

The end of January will be pretty positive player wise, I'm absolutely certain of that.   Work is being done. 

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

There are plenty of decent honest players at this level. They aren't anywhere near being a club captain though. Perhaps if he was left to earn  his place or not based on performances  then less abuse might come his way

We haven’t got any better options there at the moment though!! 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

How has he not earned his place currently?   He's 3rd choice CB behind Kirk and Musonda, one of whom is injured.  Murdoch has been captain when he doesn't play.   Who are you starting at CB today instead?