The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

17 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mixed feelings about Chalmers, an exciting player to watch but didn't have much output in the grand scheme of things, he has also played during our rotten spell and didn't lift things. We definitely missed him when he was out though as he often broke quickly up the park. 

I'd expect that we wouldn't sign a direct replacement, maybe bring someone in as cover for other areas.  

Totally agree with this, he's the type of player I love watching as offers that something a bit different and can be really exciting, however his end product was nowhere near as good as Mullin and he provided very little defensively, so while not ideal it's far from a complete disaster, especially when O'Connor is back fully fit.

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Kabia, despite ticking all the boxes and looking a decent choice, is probably the weakest of his signings to date (and he wasn't that bad). Still sent packing for not hitting the required high standards.

Everyone else (ringer sub keeper excluded for being a box ticking ringer) has been spot on.

Wild if he can keep up that hit rate.

Aye the law of averages says that he’ll get a couple of flops in a row now. Roy maybe being the first. 

I hope anyway.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye the law of averages says that he’ll get a couple of flops in a row now. Roy maybe being the first. 

I hope anyway.

Well, we will find out soon. International clearance received, Roy straight in the team.

Should (if he stays) mean Mullin playing on the right every week which is a good thing.

Hopefully Hewitt is excluded from the 1 in 1 out scenario and we get another body in. Although since Mullin, JML, O'Connor and Ashford are now the wide options and we've got another 4 ST if Young is still here then you'd want someone who walks into the starting 11 or it's a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’d heard that Tranmere are paying Dundee Utd a fee for him so unfortunately we’d have no chance of matching them.

He’s not involved with Dundee United so I’m assuming you’re correct. 

The weather played a massive part in today's result. Credit where it's due, great goal from Sean McGinty. I'm not his biggest fan at the best of times but that was a good goal.

Played out of possession too often. JML doesn't give enough. We really need a few signings. 

Bullen should play Cove twice, then see where we are squad wise with injuries before dipping the loan market imo.

Edited by Roxanne's man

4 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

I'm guessing they received a bid for him. Forest Green Rovers seemed to be the name mentioned who was interested in signing Chalmers.

Stinking timing for us though.

It’s not FGR believe it could be Tranmere Rovers 

Logan Chalmers is away to Tranmere Rovers and Brad Young is away back to Villa

Mathie was in Hub before match and overheard him say to supporters next to me that Dundee United had a deadline of 13th January to recall Chalmers and they waitied and done it late last night, he said he's away to Tranmere. Young is away back to Villa as it wasn't working out and seemed to be some home sickness issues too. 

We desperately desperately need quality attacker's, I know people will jump on and protect McKenzie and Ashford, but in all honesty they're absolutely nowhere near it, miles and miles away actually and it's game after game Ashford especially is stinking. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

The weather played a massive part in today's result. Credit where it's due, great goal from Sean McGinty. I'm not his biggest fan at the best of times but that was a good goal.

Played out of possession too often. JML doesn't give enough. We really need a few signings. 

Bullen should play Cove twice, then see where we are squad wise with injuries before dipping the loan market imo.

JML probably doesn’t, but he provided our only moment of quality in the first half. 

We just didn’t do enough in the first play, but fair play to them for salvaging a point. 

11 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

We desperately desperately need quality attacker's, I know people will jump on and protect McKenzie and Ashford, but in all honesty they're absolutely nowhere near it, miles and miles away actually and it's game after game Ashford especially is stinking. 

I'd say this is not only totally unfair (on McKenzie in particular) but it's also completely untrue. McKenzie has had some excellent games for us this season and Ashford was pretty decent at the beginning of the season, the fact we are where we are in the league tells you that they must have been doing something right and although both may not look like individual superstars, they've both contributed in the team dynamic to gain us some excellent results.

That said, I don't think either should be starters if we're serious about a run at promotion but both have certainly got much to contribute as squad players if and when required.

The bottom line is that we've lost both Chalmers and Young but recalled Hewitt and got Bryden back fit, so in terms of numbers we're still pretty large squad wise but of course there's no doubt that we're still well down in terms of quality and experience.

I'd hope / expect that we'd be bringing in at least 1 experienced attacking Mid / striker and another perhaps youngster on loan, if not, then it's unarguable that we've been weakened in January as opposed to kicking on from an excellent position.