The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 year old Finish defensive midfielder let go by Hamilton had a good season on loan from Aberdeen at Arbroath Miko Virtanen, didn’t play a lot at Hamilton this year though. But the position we need someone in, sure his stats for first time tackles was around 80%. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t think of anything that’s leaked so far under Mathie in terms of signings. Usually we might have an idea if something is about to be announced but usually we have zero idea until the club tell us. I’d imagine that’ll continue this month. 

Taking the Liverpool approach to transfers. Not sure if I'm disappointed at the lack of transfer news or glad we're spared the usual merry-go-round chat during a window. 

49 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

Adeloye would effectively need a “pre-season” with Dundee. He’ll be unfit and have zero match sharpness. He also hasn’t scored a goal since the last game of the season against Partick. Massive gamble for Dundee. Personally I can’t see it happening.

9232BEEA-1826-4861-BB58-D26DCDF5742A.png

8A0F4ED7-0FFD-4A8D-AD41-78D8B0729A7C.png

1A8C0F13-9670-40B1-BF97-12ACD7D38BFF.png

I hope he sacked that agent of his... 

I always wonder, we have loaned Kirk from arsenal and in the past we have loaned sinisalo from villa and now we have Brad young. 

is there a chance of us using a link between these types of clubs? I read the Arsenal loan reports as most weeks they have info on Kirk (just to see how they view his progress) I’m sure a club like arsenal would have other players we’d be interested in and surely the way he’s been treated with lots of game time may increase the chance of them wanting to send players here

Edited by ryanayr1987

20 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I always wonder, we have loaned Kirk from arsenal and in the past we have loaned sinisalo from villa and now we have Brad young. 

is there a chance of us using a link between these types of clubs? I read the Arsenal loan reports as most weeks they have info on Kirk (just to see how they view his progress) I’m sure a club like arsenal would have other players we’d be interested in and surely the way he’s been treated with lots of game time may increase the chance of them wanting to send players here

I can’t remember exactly but I think Mathie spoke about this over the summer. He said that an official link up like the one we have with Burnley can backfire when the team inevitably sends out players to other Scottish clubs and you’ve got fans unhappy and asking what’s the point of an actual link. 

In saying that, building positive relationships with bigger clubs isn’t a bad thing and it’s something that can definitely happen. I think next season Bullen may want to cut down on the amount of loans we have. Or at least focus on loaning younger players where there’s the potential to get them permanently like we did with Dempsey. However it wouldn’t be a bad thing to be able to add one or two young loans of the quality of Kirk to the squad. 

Mind Gomez-Mancini? Appears to not even have had a club for the past six months!

Very strange, France youth international, fringes of the Burnley first team in pre season, 32 appearances in EPL2 then just nothing…

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Mind Gomez-Mancini? Appears to not even have had a club for the past six months!

Very strange, France youth international, fringes of the Burnley first team in pre season, 32 appearances in EPL2 then just nothing…

Ah to go back to the days when we were going to romp the Championship with Mancini-Gomez in midfield and Rob Harker up front. 

A signing before Saturday would be pleasant but going by what Ian Murray was saying, the market is absolutely dead besides young loan players presumably from Premiership clubs. Not really what we need unless they are an upgrade on what we have. 

11 minutes ago, Iain said:

Upgrades would be great, but even equivalent players who can fill gaps that come up due to injuries and bans would be helpful.

It’s  tough  when you have a very large squad , players may  need to go out to create space , unless we are going to spend a lot more in wages 

22 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

It’s  tough  when you have a very large squad , players may  need to go out to create space , unless we are going to spend a lot more in wages 

Yeah we do have one of the bigger squads in the league, i mean quite a few teams in the league just now are only about to have 4/5 players on the bench for a match but we've consistently had a full bench of 9.

Our problem is it's filled with some youth players who aren't ready to play at this level and squad players who IMO don't bring enough to match the quality of our best starting 11.

Tricky to try and get premiership clubs to give you loanees at this time of year if you can't guarantee they'll be straight into the starting 11, nice problem to have however as this is the first settled January we've had in quite a few years where we've not been talking about a mid season rebuild but instead just a bit of tinkering if possible.

Edited by rb123!

3 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Thought Daire was offski?

If Daire ends up staying and is back fully fit along with Houston and Musonda injury free, then we actually have the look of a pretty strong squad once again.

In an ideal world we'd have good quality CM cover and another experienced striker but ultimately what we have isn't really all that bad.

Bit off topic but just been thinking this seems like one of the worst years in the championship in terms of away support size. If you think about it there's probably literally only 3 teams (Partick, Morton and Dundee) that you need to open that railway end for. 

Remember the attraction of getting up from league 1 to the championship would be that you'd get good away supports to Somerset which will help financially. 

Suppose what's happened is you've have these smaller crowd size clubs like Queens Park, Cove Rangers, Arbroath somewhat punching above their weight and the likes of Dunfermline/Falkirk toiling in the lower leagues. 

It helps create a better atmosphere at Somerset too when there's a decent away support aswell as boost the finances. 

Edited by rb123!

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Bit off topic but just been thinking this seems like one of the worst years in the championship in terms of away support size. If you think about it there's probably literally only 3 teams (Partick, Morton and Dundee) that you need to open that railway end for. 

Remember the attraction of getting up from league 1 to the championship would be that you'd get good away supports to Somerset which will help financially. 

Suppose what's happened is you've have these smaller crowd size clubs like Queens Park, Cove Rangers, Arbroath somewhat punching above their weight and the likes of Dunfermline/Falkirk toiling in the lower leagues. 

It helps create a better atmosphere at Somerset too when there's a decent away support aswell as boost the finances. 

Nothing like a good crowdwank on a Saturday afternoon

We upgraded O’Conner and JML in the last window with Mullen and Chalmers . We also have Ashford and McKenzie who can play out wide and were often preferred to O’Conner and JML at the start of the season.

With Akinyemi almost un-droppable, we have Ashford, McKenzie, Young and Bryden all available to play beside him. 
I wouldn’t say the squad was bloated in any way but we could in theory loan 2-3 players out for game time and use the freed up budget to upgrade elsewhere.