The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Trogdor said:

I read that as getting into the promotion play offs. Which given where we are 20 games in should really be a target.

We hopefully steadied the ship today, we have Arbroath at home let's try and get the shree points and a better performance.

We then have Cove away in the cup then the league so hopefully they are still imploding and in free fall. Then on 3rd Feb we have Queens Park at Somerset. Which could be massive depending on how we do against Arbroath and Cove. 

Dunno, if it was the playoffs then feel like he would have said that. But that BBC quote feels like a selective mish mash of several of his quotes so could be missing some context 

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The game for that was against Pollok just to see if he still had the legs to last an hour. I don’t think he views himself as a player anymore and I doubt he’ll even be registered next season. Hopefully he plays in the final game to get a bit of a send off though. 

I spoke to him a few months ago and he said he was mainly coaching now.

If I had to speculate then I’d say Young and O’Connor will be away with doubts hanging over Bangala and Ashford. 

Those four leaving (unlikely I think) then that gives us loads of scope to bring in at least three players in areas that need looking at. 

53 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I get that but I'm really not sure he's what we need. He did so well last year playing in a midfield 3 with Murdoch and Dempsey. Who did a lot of the grafting which made McInroy look so good.

I'm not sure you could play a formation including the following front 6 and make it work... Dipo, McInroy, Chalmers, Mullen, Murdoch, Dempsey. I fear Dipo would end up isolated. 4-3-3 maybe?

We need a proper 10 that can sit behind Dipo and link the play. As well as chipping in with some goals. Not easy to find but not McInroy either.

Our midfield options are very one dimensional - Murdoch, Dempsey, Hewitt and Smith are all hardworking scrappers but offer next to nothing in the attacking third.  McInroy has a better range of passing than any of them, can carry the ball up the park (as opposed to booting it in the direction he’s facing, which is a regular issue with our midfield], takes a good set piece and could probably score 8-10 goals over a full championship season (he might be the best striker of a ball I’ve seen at Ayr since Ryan Stevenson).

Personally, I think every club in the championship would want him if he became available.  Which I don’t think he will, so it’s all just pointless chat.

What actually happened with Murdoch? I missed it and just saw him hunched over before being subbed off

Dipo had a quiet game and I was glad Bryden got on before Ashford. Fraser looked lively and willing to run in the short time he had on the pitch. I'd definitely rather we kept Fraz in Jan than sending him on loan as hes a better option off the bench for me than Ashford is 

28 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What actually happened with Murdoch? I missed it and just saw him hunched over before being subbed off

Dipo had a quiet game and I was glad Bryden got on before Ashford. Fraser looked lively and willing to run in the short time he had on the pitch. I'd definitely rather we kept Fraz in Jan than sending him on loan as hes a better option off the bench for me than Ashford is 

In what way is he a better option off the bench though? Ideally it would be neither, but Ashford clearly has more about him as a footballer than Bryden at the moment. 

I just think we need to be setting higher standards for our youth players, and players in general than just running about and putting in a couple of tackles. It isn’t anywhere near enough to build a career from - Bryden needs a loan to develop the technical side of his game - hold up play etc etc. Obviously you want a striker off the bench when marginally winning to work, but you want them to be able to hold things up to help keep the ball and run in behind. Bryden and Ashford both tend to just run around aimlessly nowhere near the ball, but Ashford is able to offer a little more IMO. 

ETA, I don’t want that to sound too harsh - after all it was a ten minute cameo. I would just like to see him getting some proper game time on loan. 

Edited by No_Problemo

With our game against Dumbarton getting called off when my son and I were on the road, we decided to take in your game today so he could tick another stadium off on his list.

Having read the last page or so of this thread, you know you weren’t at your best, but I have to say that although the game wasn’t great, we throughly enjoyed our visit to Somerset.

I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t know most of the players on the pitch, but what I would say that Ayr do seem to be on the right track, as an outsider looking in.

Bryden is lively but his best moment was when he shrugged off an Accies player to hold the ball and played a lovely pass over the defence to Mullin. He’s definitely got potential but usually his priority is trying to hammer an opponent. 

For all his faults Ashford is actually a decent footballer. He can hold onto the ball well and is fairly quick. He’s just useless in the air and can’t finish. 

I’d roll the dice and try for another forward. Oli Shaw is well out the picture at Killie and would score goals in this team. 

34 minutes ago, Nelson said:

(he might be the best striker of a ball I’ve seen at Ayr since Ryan Stevenson).

I met Stevo in Asda Ayr on Wednesday. We Said hello to each other, then I stared at him for a minute..... As I'm convinced he was wearing make up.

Edited by Roxanne's man

5 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

With our game against Dumbarton getting called off when my son and I were on the road, we decided to take in your game today so he could tick another stadium off on his list.

Having read the last page or so of this thread, you know you weren’t at your best, but I have to say that although the game wasn’t great, we throughly enjoyed our visit to Somerset.

I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t know most of the players on the pitch, but what I would say that Ayr do seem to be on the right track, as an outsider looking in.

That's nice to hear and glad you and your son had a good day. 

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d roll the dice and try for another forward. Oli Shaw is well out the picture at Killie and would score goals in this team

Agreed . Killie have about 40 players and are bringing more in . He's one I'd defo take . However will the cavalry be coming up from the south again ?

27 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d roll the dice and try for another forward. Oli Shaw is well out the picture at Killie and would score goals in this team. 

Would be ideal to give us another natural goalscorer as when Dipo likes to drift wide none of the other options offer much of a focal point in the box.

If Transfermarkt is correct he's got the same agent as Mullin so we could see if he's available when we're hopefully trying to negotiate his pre-contract.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

In what way is he a better option off the bench though? Ideally it would be neither, but Ashford clearly has more about him as a footballer than Bryden at the moment. 

I just think we need to be setting higher standards for our youth players, and players in general than just running about and putting in a couple of tackles. It isn’t anywhere near enough to build a career from - Bryden needs a loan to develop the technical side of his game - hold up play etc etc. Obviously you want a striker off the bench when marginally winning to work, but you want them to be able to hold things up to help keep the ball and run in behind. Bryden and Ashford both tend to just run around aimlessly nowhere near the ball, but Ashford is able to offer a little more IMO. 

ETA, I don’t want that to sound too harsh - after all it was a ten minute cameo. I would just like to see him getting some proper game time on loan. 

Ideally we would get another attacking option in, but out the two I prefer Bryden. From day 1 I've seen nothing from Ashford.