The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Without being a doom merchant looking at the long range forecast i'd say our game at Thistle could be in big doubt. Temperatures below freezing every night up until 18th December just now.

Yip, don' think I'll be buying any tickets till about half an hour before kick off for the next few weeks at least.

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Noticed on the train up to Glasgow today there was a hive of activity in the car park at somerset with Hamilton Tarmac waggons.

Looks like those moon sized craters from the car park may be gone for good!

I'd like to fill the potholes with Somerset Boab tbh.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Noticed on the train up to Glasgow today there was a hive of activity in the car park at somerset with Hamilton Tarmac waggons.

Looks like those moon sized craters from the car park may be gone for good!

The whole car park is being  levelled and covered in tarmac and turned into a proper car park , gone  are the days of potholes and puddles 

Edited by Finlay21

29 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Really good article in The Athletic this week with interviews with Smith, Mathie and Bullen.  This section suggests that Cammy Smith really isn't welcome here anymore haha 

Screenshot_20221208-232831_Chrome.jpg

Had Cammy Smith agreed to sign for us again on his return from America before signing for Thistle? 

I know Todorov had agreed to sign before going to Dunfermline. 

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Had Cammy Smith agreed to sign for us again on his return from America before signing for Thistle? 

Sorta

We let him out of his contract to pursue his opportunity in the States but a gentleman's agreement that if it didn't work out he'd come back to us

8 hours ago, Hursty said:

Really good article in The Athletic this week with interviews with Smith, Mathie and Bullen.  This section suggests that Cammy Smith really isn't welcome here anymore haha 

More likely means Todorov's agent as it's the same one Robbie Crawford has and it was hinted on here in the summer that it wasn't Robbie's choice not to come back.

Always thought Smith gets a hard time over not signing for us when he returned. Deal to leave was agreed when Kerr was manager so who can really blame him for not wanting to work under Hopkin, afterall none of us wanted to watch it.

Aye - you can’t blame Smith for not returning to play under a footballing moron in Hopkin. Though McCall clearly hasn’t got anything close to the best out of him either.

I’m not sure about the whole not welcome thing to be honest, would Lawrence Shankland have been on that list following his no show…

Edited by No_Problemo

11 hours ago, Hursty said:

Screenshot_20221208-232831_Chrome.jpg

Might be the forward Hopkin was trying to sign, who basically agreed then buggered off last minute.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Might be the forward Hopkin was trying to sign, who basically agreed then buggered off last minute.

When you see the way things panned out, it was perhaps a blessing that we ended up with neither Smith nor Todorov.

One can't get in the Thistle team and is seen as a waste of space my many of their fans and the other is visiting wonderful new places in the seaside league and has been less than prolific either at Championship or League 1 level.

What’s interesting to me is that Bullen says we were knocked back by around 5-6 Scottish based players in the summer. Thomas and Sibbald presumably being two of them. It’ll be interesting whether it’s easier to get that calibre of player next season if we manage to finish in the top four as opposed to 7th. 

It’s clear that we were able to attract Mullin and Chalmers through our start to the season so we’re clearly headed in the right direction. 

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What’s interesting to me is that Bullen says we were knocked back by around 5-6 Scottish based players in the summer. Thomas and Sibbald presumably being two of them. It’ll be interesting whether it’s easier to get that calibre of player next season if we manage to finish in the top four as opposed to 7th. 

It’s clear that we were able to attract Mullin and Chalmers through our start to the season so we’re clearly headed in the right direction. 

Seems a bit negative to me ruling our promotion when we’re pretty much half way through the season.

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Seems a bit negative to me ruling our promotion when we’re pretty much half way through the season.

Maybe. I still don’t see us going up. If we’re top going into March then I’ll start to think we can do it. 

26 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Maybe. I still don’t see us going up. If we’re top going into March then I’ll start to think we can do it. 

Yeah still think Dundee will have the legs on the rest.

23rd will be interesting though...

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

At least one team has to go up and possibly 2 and going by what I've seen from us this season and what I've seen from all our opponents, then I really see no reason at all why that can't be us.

We're top of this league on merit and we haven't been lucky or profited due to other teams bad luck etc, that coupled with the fact that we've got a great backroom team, a good bunch of guys in the dressing room and an owner who isn't afraid to put his hand in his pocket tells me that we've got a s good a chance as anyone.

Time will tell and there will be lots of twists and turns to come, but so far I think they've proven that this squad are more than capable of pulling it off.

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

At least one team has to go up and possibly 2 and going by what I've seen from us this season and what I've seen from all our opponents, then I really see no reason at all why that can't be us.

We're top of this league on merit and we haven't been lucky or profited due to other teams bad luck etc, that coupled with the fact that we've got a great backroom team, a good bunch of guys in the dressing room and an owner who isn't afraid to put his hand in his pocket tells me that we've got a s good a chance as anyone.

Time will tell and there will be lots of twists and turns to come, but so far I think they've proven that this squad are more than capable of pulling it off.

It's not easy for ayr fans to accept your words , many have been conditioned by decades of failure . Others like to be catious , hedging their bets as they go. However as we approach the second half of the season we have only lost three games . Kilmarnock lost nine last season . That statistic alone puts us right in the frame . Get through the next two games still top and the bookies favourites (now) will drop in price some more. 

Ofcourse the window is going to be huge as is injury to key players , if we manage parity with our rivals then its ours to lose.  So time to at least have a little more confidence in what's going on at Somerset right in front of your eyes . This could be the season . Enjoy it fellas .