The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Maybe. I still don’t see us going up. If we’re top going into March then I’ll start to think we can do it. 

Screenshot_20221210-002319.thumb.png.adc29e24af779ccccfff973a8f61e36a.png

This is (IMO) the key run of games in our season.  The following match is away at Dens to start the final quarter so we probably can't afford to drop much during this run.  

As an aside it would be nice if that Cove match was a Friday night TV game since we are there the week prior in the cup, save folk some cash.  

14 hours ago, WATTOO said:

At least one team has to go up and possibly 2 and going by what I've seen from us this season and what I've seen from all our opponents, then I really see no reason at all why that can't be us.

We're top of this league on merit and we haven't been lucky or profited due to other teams bad luck etc, that coupled with the fact that we've got a great backroom team, a good bunch of guys in the dressing room and an owner who isn't afraid to put his hand in his pocket tells me that we've got a s good a chance as anyone.

Time will tell and there will be lots of twists and turns to come, but so far I think they've proven that this squad are more than capable of pulling it off.

I don’t see Smith spending a lot of money in January though. I can see one, maybe two players coming in but they won’t be big signings. That’s not how we’ll operate. 

The concern is that other clubs absolutely will go and spend a chunk of money in January and overtake us. Dundee and QP are more than capable of it. Thistle can probably strengthen too and Morton have the gate receipts of the Celtic match to look forward to. I’d consider top four a very successful season based on where we were and I think that’s likely where we can finish. 

45 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see Smith spending a lot of money in January though. I can see one, maybe two players coming in but they won’t be big signings. That’s not how we’ll operate. 

I think it'll more like three , a centre half that can play full back , a defensive central midfielder and one other . Maybe mostly loans so not hugely expensive.  

3 hours ago, North British 2 said:

I think it'll more like three , a centre half that can play full back , a defensive central midfielder and one other . Maybe mostly loans so not hugely expensive.  

I'd rather a full back that can play centre back but it's not a world different. 

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The concern is that other clubs absolutely will go and spend a chunk of money in January and overtake us. Dundee and QP are more than capable of it. Thistle can probably strengthen too and Morton have the gate receipts of the Celtic match to look forward to. I’d consider top four a very successful season based on where we were and I think that’s likely where we can finish. 

This of course is possible, however there's no guarantee that any new signings (irrespective of who they are) will be a success or settle in, apart from that there's probably going to be very few players available and again not even in each sides required positions.

I still think we've got a very good and balanced squad and with Musonda hopefully being back soon and Kirk not a million miles away we're still looking ok and of course Ecrepont has come in and shown he's more than capable to play at FB on either side and McAllister also looked good enough against Raith as a CB.

I wouldn't swap our wide men for anyone and we also have good back up, our front men are all more than capable with us also having the best striker in the league and our 2 centre Mids are top class at this level as is our keeper, so all in all if we fail it will not be through lack of resources or a poor quality squad.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This of course is possible, however there's no guarantee that any new signings (irrespective of who they are) will be a success or settle in, apart from that there's probably going to be very few players available and again not even in each sides required positions.

I still think we've got a very good and balanced squad and with Musonda hopefully being back soon and Kirk not a million miles away we're still looking ok and of course Ecrepont has come in and shown he's more than capable to play at FB on either side and McAllister also looked good enough against Raith as a CB.

I wouldn't swap our wide men for anyone and we also have good back up, our front men are all more than capable with us also having the best striker in the league and our 2 centre Mids are top class at this level as is our keeper, so all in all if we fail it will not be through lack of resources or a poor quality squad.

Clearly the gamble on Bangala hasn't worked,  as yet . So I think Bully planned to have a big holding midfielder in there , which would allow Dempsey more scope to get forward , it would also allow Murdoch some rest minutes . I have a feeling he'll try to fix this as a priority.  If he can get this fixed and Finn and Cally can hold their form we would be pretty much fixed . However we currently have our two top centre half's out , admittedly relatively short term , but who's to say one or both don't break down .. so with that in mind I'd be looking for a centre half also . The last issue is who would replace Dipos goals if the worst was to happen ?. So it would be three good signings for me, that's if we are talking about the title . I believe the current group can make the ply offs as they are at the moment .

4 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Is there any risk of Brad young being recalled? He hasn’t been starting as often and has lost a bit of form- not saying I would want him to go btw

I know nothing about this but I'd reckon that Villa would be happy about how Bullen has managed his playing time as playing non stop at that age is generally not seen as such a good thing. He's certainly still a major part of our first team squad so I'd honestly be very surprised if he was recalled.

We all have our own thoughts on who's best along with Dipo or what sort of formation to play, however I think Bullen sees them all as options whether it be Young, McKenzie or even Ashford, if nothing else it does give us lots of different variations and keeps them all involved / match fit and each and every one gives us a shift and something a little bit different.