The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, motley123rock said:

I heard some of it. Shaking my head most of the way home listening to them. Leigh Ann Chriton ( don’t know if that right spelling ) spoke any sense . Most of them didn’t have a clue about the league any of the players and gave really bog standard text book answers I.e the top 4 will be thistle , caley ,dundee & Queen’s Park. I don’t know was the ex player commenting  at our game was on but he wrote us off from even making the top four. Really poor stuff from BBC Sportsound. You would think they would get in for a couple of weeks guys who follow this league who would know their stuff. Reminded me of World Cup pundits poor knowledge of all other teams apart from their favourites Ingerlund . 

Yes, it was actually embarrassing to listen to I thought. It showed the utter mediocrity and laziness of sports "journalism" in 2022 that none of them (with the exception of Crichton) could even be bothered to do any research whatsoever about the Championship despite knowing that the main focus of a programme lasting several hours was going to be that division. Bob Crampsey will be turning in his grave.

The only comment I found puzzling was that Ian Murray doesn’t think we’re that much stronger than them. Fair enough they beat us at Starks although we did more than enough to draw but they deserved nothing from today. They’re also 10 points behind us.

I get that a manager has to stay positive and keep the heid but he also admitted earlier on that they don’t have players like Akinyemi and Mullin which would suggest that he’s well aware that we are a stronger outfit. I think outside of our forward players there isn’t much between a lot of teams and ourselves. We have good players in Musonda, Kirk, Dempsey and Murdoch but this season has shown that you can still go toe to to with them if you have a good game. Having the likes of Dipo, Mullin and Chalmers just gives us that edge over other teams that don’t have that quality up top.

As for the comments made by the others, as disrespectful or dismissive as they may be I’ve come to expect nothing less from the likes of Tom English although even he seemed to confess the top four might stay as it is for the rest of the season.

7 hours ago, rb123! said:

st half especially you could hear a pin drop. 

You always get that when we are attacking the Railway end first half , the young ones certainly brought an atmosphere in the second half and well done to them 

Some great work from Chalmers at the first goal. To come away with that ball between the two Raith players and then a nice cross. Was aslo great movement from Mullen to get on the end of it and finish. I'd really like to get Mullen on a pre contract.

Dipo does very well at the second. Nice header from Mullen as well. Dipo had a tough shift yesterday pretty much man marked and hands all over him for most of the game. Clancy didn't seem too bothered.

Mullen is always better on the right. I'm not sure why we started him on the left? To protect Reading? That doesn't make much sense either as you'd think we'd want to protect Finn playing out of position.

It would be great if Chalmers could add a few goals. He likes to take shots but needs to be testing the goalie more.

I thought young Finn was excellent. Such hunger and desire. If he keeps playing like that he will easily displace Houston, Reading or McAllister at fullback. It was nice to have a fullback pushing forward and not afraid to put a cross in. We've been missing that all season.

Edited by Trogdor

12 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Tbh we are doing an Arbroath this season and I don’t remember any pundit saying they couldn’t win the league last season

Only fools and idiot pundits would say that Ayr will not win the Championship. Of course they can, whether they will is a different story. I hope you do win it. 

Best of luck

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Some great work from Chalmers at the first goal. To come away with that ball between the two Raith players and then a nice cross. Was aslo great movement from Mullen to get on the end of it and finish. I'd really like to get Mullen on a pre contract.

Think it's important to acknowledge McKenzie's part in the first goal too. It shows how effective he is in that role as if he's not playing yesterday the ball is probably back with Albinson 10 seconds later instead of resulting in a goal.

Of the players out of contract in the summer he would be the next one I'd be getting to sign an extension.

14 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The entire team were good today and they all pulled together for a pretty deserving and pretty comfortable 3 points. We weren't great but we never looked in any real danger and with this Ayr side you're always confident that they will score goals one way or another.

As others have said, the makeshift defence was excellent and I don't think McGinty lost one aerial confrontation and McAllister slotted in very well beside him as he harried and tackled everything on the deck and of course Ecrepont was brilliant at RB and adds another attacking threat with his quality whipped crosses, even on the wrong side of the park !! Reading was pretty decent today also, especially after his recent form dip.

I don't know if anyone else heard the nonsense from the so called "pundits" on Radio Scotland post match, however they reckon Dipo will be going to Queens Park or Dundee in January and that we'll struggle to make the play offs. The general consensus was that the top 4 would be Queens Park, Partick, Dundee and Inverness with only Leanne Crichton talking any sort of sense. The sad thing is that a couple of them (after making crazy statements) said they didn't actually know much about the sides or ANYTHING about their financial backers.

Honestly, what a joke our journalists and media are in this country. If it's not Rangers or Celtic or their "mates" then they have no interest whatsoever, yet are  being paid to give an opinion and have a discussion on subjects that they are completely ignorant about, you honestly couldn't make it up.......

All the more ridiculous given they interviewed Mathie before the match, he dug them up for their previous comments on Dipo and outlined that it would take a large bid as he was on a legnthy contract.  Leanne Crichton seems to think we will just accept any bid for him as long as it's not in our league.  

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Think it's important to acknowledge McKenzie's part in the first goal too. It shows how effective he is in that role as if he's not playing yesterday the ball is probably back with Albinson 10 seconds later instead of resulting in a goal.

Of the players out of contract in the summer he would be the next one I'd be getting to sign an extension.

Aye, McKenzie is very adept at making a nuisance of himself and forcing mistakes out of the opposition. He did very well at the first goal to block the Raith defender and give Chalmers a bit more space.

He does a lot of good work off the ball (incidentally, I hate that phrase) which is easily missed.

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

I like McKenzie as well and would definitely get him on another two year deal , he isn't the finished article but I think he'll get there . However if we were to land another striker in the window  that can add ten goals in the second half of the season or letting Dipo get hooked at about 70 min I wouldn't  be disappointed. 

On Mullin , the boy is class . Get him signed on a pre contract before Livingston change their mind .  He seems to have the attitude and fitness that Bully likes . Hopefully the deal gets done .

Chalmers well ! Still got another year on his deal in Dundee and if releaced would have some big clubs sniffing..

14 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Tbh we are doing an Arbroath this season and I don’t remember any pundit saying they couldn’t win the league last season

The two big differences this time are that a) Ayr's best striker is on a long-term deal and not imminently in danger of being recalled and b) there isn't a notable big dick in the league waiting to pounce on any mistakes. All of the top four will continue to drop points at random all season, to each other as well as the rest of the league.

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The two big differences this time are that a) Ayr's best striker is on a long-term deal and not imminently in danger of being recalled and b) there isn't a notable big dick in the league waiting to pounce on any mistakes. All of the top four will continue to drop points at random all season, to each other as well as the rest of the league.

Only one defeat in twenty for the top four, you wouldn't think that was sustainable and someone/s due a rough spell. Not sure I could handle the stress if it was to continue like that.