The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

He may never play for you again but Livingston may not want him cup tied as they may try and sell him at the break.

I'd imagine / hope that we'd be trying to get him signed on a pre-contract.

Think we need to face facts with Bangala.  He looked miles off the pace against a team that barely pressed the midfield.  The idea that we could put him in against a championship midfield that might move around a bit, seems very optimistic.  

27 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Think we need to face facts with Bangala.  He looked miles off the pace against a team that barely pressed the midfield.  The idea that we could put him in against a championship midfield that might move around a bit, seems very optimistic.  

Bullen has already proven that he won't play him until he's deemed ready and if that's unlikely to ever happen, then I'd agree as others have said that we're more than likely going to find a mutual termination plan in January.

Initially I had hoped that it was just the fact he'd been thrust into a new team in a new country with no pre-season etc and that maybe the language was also an issue, however I'm not holding out much hope at the moment......

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Has anyone had a swatch at the calendar yet? Saw it on the official page. Dont know if I could muster looking at McGinty for a whole month! This years was a good mix of artwork and legends 

Look on the bright side, you'll also get to see him on the pitch every Saturday as well !!

Interesting choice to use a free weekend in December (10th) and play a friendly over 2 hours away against Dundee United. 

Given that we are still firmly challenging up the top of the table and the schedule is pretty much non-stop, would it not be beneficial to give the players a rest weekend to ensure we keep our strongest team fit and fresh and avoid any potential injuries? 

20 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

Interesting choice to use a free weekend in December (10th) and play a friendly over 2 hours away against Dundee United. 

Given that we are still firmly challenging up the top of the table and the schedule is pretty much non-stop, would it not be beneficial to give the players a rest weekend to ensure we keep our strongest team fit and fresh and avoid any potential injuries? 

Strange one indeed. Seems purely to help Dundee Utd get "match fitness" for their league resuming. Should have told them it was to be played at Somerset or nowt

8 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

True, but Bullens opinion would show that he has a lot more faith in Houston than he has in Reading, Houston has had far more good games than 3 or 4 that's incredibly harsh and in my opinion nonsense, but it's all about opinions as you say. Regarding hate victims you've been very consistent in your dislike of Houston, but we all have players that don't do it for us, I've got to put my hands up to never really rating Ashford apart from an honest runner I don't see our level of football player .......opinions 

I agree on Ashford, but more generally I think the sign our squad is really a contender for the league is when we can move beyond hard workers and willing runners and have a higher technical bar. I think Bullen is improving the squad but given our resources we have to recognise it will take time.

I think our title challenge will fade which is why we will likely be in a position to accept a decent offer for Akinyemi in the summer. If our player budget is currently around 800k, if we get 300k for Akinyemi that is a significant percentage increase and could - overall - improve our squad considerably.

I don't think Smith will dig deep at Christmas to win the league and is much as I'd like us to go up this year, If I am being honest with myself, I don't think he should either. We need to continue with being smart with transfers rather than throwing money at it. 

Daziel proved that you can't buy the league. I think we need players in for certain areas and if we get them then hopefully that will be enough to keep us there or there abouts. 

I assume most of you will forget that game very quickly but if any of you fancy a small momento of a historic night (for Pollok at least) then we have some pin badges left. Available below and all proceeds to the club. All the best with the promotion push!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144820880462?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hnbpod5uqmq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=hnbpod5uqmq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

6 hours ago, Calayrdonia said:

Maybe a good chance to give all the fringe players a game , plenty people saying they need game time , this is ideal opportunity 

20 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

Our approach in the summer of resigning almost everyone seemed a bit strange to me and I thought the whole defence would have gone. Maybe our scout hadn’t found us better at that point. Hopefully he has found player s for all positions more notability in defence. 

We have significantly upgraded our defence since last season though.

You can’t turnover an entire side in one transfer window really!

1 hour ago, motley123rock said:

Our approach in the summer of resigning almost everyone seemed a bit strange to me and I thought the whole defence would have gone. Maybe our scout hadn’t found us better at that point. Hopefully he has found player s for all positions more notability in defence. 

In fairness we are top of the league and despite all our moan and groans I think we can all agree that things couldn't really have gone much better.

McGinty has done well for the most part and is also a great influence in the dressing room from what I believe (and that's something that you can't really quantify), I'd also say that most of us were happy enough when Reading re-signed and although his recent form has been poor he did start the season well enough and of course at RB we had Houston, McAllister recalled and Bangala expected to also be able to play there, Musonda could also be used as a FB if required as can Mullin and we also have Ecrepont, so all in all I think we had a pretty good Summer transfer policy.

I'll admit, as things stand right now it does look like full back on both sides is the weakest position but you can't legislate for injuries and loss of form to key players and as previously stated we are top of the league and have only narrowly lost 4 games from 16, so we've certainly being doing lots right....

Defence getting plenty of poor reviews on here at moment, in reality we are 4th best in league on goals conceded with 3 of the top defensive teams within only conceding  2 goals less than us , 

Edited by Finlay21

18 hours ago, Calayrdonia said:

We'll give them a squad for the match but as @Finlay21 says it'll probably be fringe players who need game time and some young guys like Bilham, Smith and Bryden etc. 

It's purely for Dundee United's sake this match to warm up for return of Premiership and the fact we've got Chalmers from them may have something to do with it aswell. Could have been agreed at time of signing him on loan.

There is no doubt how we play means the defence gets more exposed. With Chalmers & Mullen on, at times we have at least 4 players in the top 3rd of the pitch and usually one of Dempsey and Murdoch pushing up as well. This makes us susceptible to counter attacks but is what makes us so potent going forward.

The issue is that a makeshift defence of Reading, McGinty, McAllister and Houston cannot be exposed to the same degree or we'll concede more. We need to be more compact whilst we are playing that makeshift defence.

In short we need to win ugly until we get to January to strengthen or for those injured to return.

Edited by Trogdor

16 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

Maybe a good chance to give all the fringe players a game , plenty people saying they need game time , this is ideal opportunity 

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

We'll give them a squad for the match but as @Finlay21 says it'll probably be fringe players who need game time and some young guys like Bilham, Smith and Bryden etc. 

Is that not what the reserve league/cup games are for?

We've got one on the 6th AND the 13th December....

4 hours ago, Calayrdonia said:

Is that not what the reserve league/cup games are for?

We've got one on the 6th AND the 13th December....

The reserves are playing one or two matches a month. After the game on the 13th the next one isn't until 24 January (a Reserve Cup match at Rugby Park if anyone's interested).