The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Mod1967 said:

I would suggest our dreadful left back needs attending to first, he's utterly garbage every game now 

Yes, I agree, however paddy has at least shown that he has some form to lose where Houston has looked out of his depth since Kelly left the club. He was obviously highly rated by Rangers at one point but has just failed to kick on and I think most would agree that RB has been a problem position since Liam Smith left the club.

18 hours ago, diege said:

From the rumblings I heard, Livi didnt want him cup tied. Which concerns me for the long term

Dundee Utd obviously werent fussed about Chalmers

That'll be a load of shite. He's never playing for us again, we've got a winger in on trial that's went for a total of about 20m through his career over 2 transfers (Monaco, Huddersfield). I can't imagine Mullin is even in our thoughts as a potential option when we've got Nouble/Bahamboula. Even if Nouble goes we hopefully can use that money to sign the trialist, Diakhaby. 

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Why? Houston has been fine for the most part. The criticism has reached massively overblown proportions when we’re suggesting that Sam Ashford play there.

Agree with that. My one criticism would be he needs to do a bit more to stop crosses coming in to the box. We tend to stand off too much.

15 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I agree, however paddy has at least shown that he has some form to lose where Houston has looked out of his depth since Kelly left the club. He was obviously highly rated by Rangers at one point but has just failed to kick on and I think most would agree that RB has been a problem position since Liam Smith left the club.

Bullen took our best defender out of the centre to left back, he obviously saw the danger now at left back, Reading plays because others are injured now, Houston is still our best option at right back, he has bad games certainly but also good ones, Reading hasn't been good in over 2 months, Bullen knows opposition teams target his softness, that was evident way back in the last Killie game when Mcinnes got them to do a number on him. Ideally both would be replaced, but Houston can defend can attack, he's just incredibly inconsistent, Reading however can never defend when he was decent he could attack now sadly that has stopped completely, Bullen will replace him as he has done when all are fit and will get a signing in fairly soon, I believe he's run out of patience with him.

Don't think we should be trying Bangala or Ashford or anyone else who isn't naturally a fullback at RB. Don't particularly rate our fullbacks but I'd rather them there than weird experiments.

Would give Ecrepont a game.

Shite that it seems Musonda isn't back yet. Good news about Kirk though. Pray Frankie is back soon for the run into the new year then hopefully Kirk back not long after that. 

Edited by AuAl

25 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Bullen took our best defender out of the centre to left back, he obviously saw the danger now at left back, Reading plays because others are injured now, Houston is still our best option at right back, he has bad games certainly but also good ones, Reading hasn't been good in over 2 months, Bullen knows opposition teams target his softness, that was evident way back in the last Killie game when Mcinnes got them to do a number on him. Ideally both would be replaced, but Houston can defend can attack, he's just incredibly inconsistent, Reading however can never defend when he was decent he could attack now sadly that has stopped completely, Bullen will replace him as he has done when all are fit and will get a signing in fairly soon, I believe he's run out of patience with him.

Yeah I think this is spot on.  I would be tempted to give Ecrepont a start, or at least if Reading isn't on it, 45 minutes from the bench v Raith.  He needs a chance.  January is going to be crucial for us, people think we're going to go out and get 4/5 bodies in, that's simply not going to happen.  I think the best-case scenario is covering centre half, potentially a left back (that would allow Ecrepont out on loan) and a proper defensive midfielder (allow Smith or Bangala out on loan).

Yip definitely agree Ecrepont who always looks decent needs a chance, he's also a powerful unit which Paddy is not, I've been a big fan of Paddy although I thought defence isn't his main attribute, but it's now glaringly obvious game after game that hes targeted at this level. Totally agree with another centre back in January and another centre mid, I wouldn't put Smith out on loan as that would only be 3 mids, Bangala could go though, possibly McAllister and I think we need another striker strangely as although we have 5 !! , Ashford and Young haven't done enough for me, Bryden needs a loan after injury, McKenzie has been the best of the rest and forms the best partnership with Dipo, I'm being greedy and possibly unrealistic though.

1 hour ago, Mod1967 said:

I think I've seen Houston have about 3 or 4 good games over the course of the past 2 seasons but also seen him have consistently be our weakest link, on the other hand Paddy Reading has had quite a few excellent performances and was generally pretty consistent up until the last couple of months but I'd agree that his recent form has fallen right of a cliff.

As it stands right now, the full back position is our weakest area (on both sides), this may be down to how we play but the fact remains that neither of them currently look good enough and Houston especially has had ample opportunity to gain some consistency but as yet has failed to succeed in this.

Ultimately it's all down to opinions and neither yours nor mine matters, it's only Bullens that matters and at the end of the day I'll always support whoever wears an Ayr jersey, whether it be a Chris Aitken, Robbie Crawford, Sean McGinty, Jordan Houston or any other of our previous hate victims !!

True, but Bullens opinion would show that he has a lot more faith in Houston than he has in Reading, Houston has had far more good games than 3 or 4 that's incredibly harsh and in my opinion nonsense, but it's all about opinions as you say. Regarding hate victims you've been very consistent in your dislike of Houston, but we all have players that don't do it for us, I've got to put my hands up to never really rating Ashford apart from an honest runner I don't see our level of football player .......opinions 

49 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

True, but Bullens opinion would show that he has a lot more faith in Houston than he has in Reading, Houston has had far more good games than 3 or 4 that's incredibly harsh and in my opinion nonsense, but it's all about opinions as you say. Regarding hate victims you've been very consistent in your dislike of Houston, but we all have players that don't do it for us, I've got to put my hands up to never really rating Ashford apart from an honest runner I don't see our level of football player .......opinions 

Yes, I'll admit Houston has in my opinion been our weakest performer over the past couple of seasons but while I may state the fact that I don't rate him on here, I'd NEVER shout abuse at him at a game the way some seem to do with both he and McGinty and now Reading and Ashford as that helps nobody and just creates a very negative toxic atmosphere.

Despite the limitations of some of our guys, I don't think anyone could ever question their commitment and I suppose it's also easy to forget that we're sitting top of the league and having one of our best seasons in years, so all in all things are pretty good just now despite our moaning and groaning !!

Neither of the full backs have really performed since they arrived.  Going forward Houston probably gives you a little more production than Reading now he's started getting a couple assists but in terms of defending they are just bodies.  Not looked at the numbers for this year but those two played most weeks last year and we allowed the most crosses.  

17 hours ago, ATLIS said:

That'll be a load of shite. He's never playing for us again, we've got a winger in on trial that's went for a total of about 20m through his career over 2 transfers (Monaco, Huddersfield). I can't imagine Mullin is even in our thoughts as a potential option when we've got Nouble/Bahamboula. Even if Nouble goes we hopefully can use that money to sign the trialist, Diakhaby. 

He may never play for you again but Livingston may not want him cup tied as they may try and sell him at the break.