The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

We need another centre back and the Pollok number 4 Darren Brownlie fits the bill strong in the air and the tackle 25 so could develope quite a bit yet won all his battles tonight against big Dipo. Swap him for Bangala as he’s never going to play at championship level. Definitely one that one of  Bullens pals recommended so don’t think he’ll be recommending anybody else, shame as I think he comes across as a decent guy, but after all the trouble to get him here he’s not up to it.

I thought similar - he didn't look great but wasn't awful.  Dempsey was rotten first half too.   Biggest disappointment for me was Brad Young, I'm beginning to think our best striker combination is Dipo and McKenzie.   

Aye he was fine but didn’t exactly standout against junior opponents. I’m seriously doubting he’s going to be good enough for the Championship.

Young will come good again. He went through a good run where he was a standout imo against Partick but has since dropped off. He’s only 19 (I think) though so it’s natural for him to be taken out of the fold for a wee while. The same thing would’ve probably happened with Kirk had he not gotten injured.

My main worry is getting through the next few weeks with McAllister and McGinty. The latter will be fine imo but I can see teams exposing McAllister. It cannot be overstated how much we are missing Musonda and Kirk when playing out from the back. I lost count of the amount of times that McAllister put a teammate under pressure with a shite pass. At one point he had the chance to play Houston wide and turned a really simple pass into a 50/50 which went out for a throw.

Dempsey won that game for us tonight, The players that came in were poor and it makes any potential injury crisis more worrying, He was everywhere on the park tonight, even hitting a few good crosses in to the box. His corners were shite though. 

McAdams had two saves to make all night and caused panic with one of them. Bangala needs to go out on loan somewhere to find his feet or we'll have to pay him off in May, the game passed him by, it looked like players were actively not passing to him. unless he is better in defence...He was wandering about leaving Dempsey as a one man midfield. Bangala and Mitchell-Lawson both looked like celebrities playing in Soccer aid. JML is too inconsistent to play at this level, he's had two good spells, both against Arbroath, the rest of the time he has been a waste of a jersey. 

Chalmers created a lot but we were so imbalanced with JML wide left, we weren't able to stretch the Pollock back line at all and Dipo had one of his worst games since the league cup. 

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

JML is too inconsistent to play at this level, he's had two good spells, both against Arbroath, the rest of the time he has been a waste of a jersey

I noticed that for majority of the game, Ayr played down the one side, the one on which Chalmers was on. Any time they played the other, JML either lost the ball or got pushed off it 😒

When is O'Connor seriously going to be in the frame? Much better player imo.

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Is Mullin injured?  Was  a strange one not even being on bench.  Next couple of games I'd go Mullin Chalmers Akinyemi and McKenzie as the front 4 if fit.   

From the rumblings I heard, Livi didnt want him cup tied. Which concerns me for the long term

Dundee Utd obviously werent fussed about Chalmers

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

We need another centre back and the Pollok number 4 Darren Brownlie fits the bill strong in the air and the tackle 25 so could develope quite a bit yet won all his battles tonight against big Dipo. Swap him for Bangala as he’s never going to play at championship level

a) He's not called Darren

b) He's not very good.

x) We were very poor. We were on top in brief spells but rarely loooked like scoring. Both fullbacks were rubbish - struggling to think of a player I've seen regress as much as Reading, looked very much his level.

y) No one can take a corner.

z) All of Bullen's favourite subs (McKenzie/Ashford/Bryden) contributed nowt.

1 hour ago, diege said:

From the rumblings I heard, Livi didnt want him cup tied. Which concerns me for the long term

Dundee Utd obviously werent fussed about Chalmers

This surprises me as from the statement livi released when he came on loan it didn’t sound like he had any future there. 

ETA: From what I’ve heard he’s really enjoying it here, I’d be trying to get him on a PCA come January. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

I thought Bangala did ok for a guy who hasn't been playing first team football and hasn't played with this group of players before. Couple of his longer passes were misplaced but he was just about the only one trying anything ambitious in the first half. I wasn't sure what role they were asking him to play, which either means it wasn't clearly defined or more likely he was a bit lacking in tactical discipline. I'd persevere with him though.

Edited by Iain

7 hours ago, wuffster said:

a) He's not called Darren

b) He's not very good.

x) We were very poor. We were on top in brief spells but rarely loooked like scoring. Both fullbacks were rubbish - struggling to think of a player I've seen regress as much as Reading, looked very much his level.

y) No one can take a corner.

z) All of Bullen's favourite subs (McKenzie/Ashford/Bryden) contributed nowt.

Aye, all of this.

We were dreadful imo. Aimless punts, lack of decent shape or movement, no urgency.

I still don't rate any of our full backs very highly, particularly defensively. Reading is a shadow of the player he was and doesn't even get forward well anymore. Houston can put in a decent cross every now and then but I still don't trust him all that much.

The corners were so frustrating. Must have been at least 6 that hit the first man.

Sounds mad to be this critical of a side top of the league but we have been rancid for a few weeks now. I really worry about the defensive situation in the coming weeks against half decent* opposition.

*by championship standards anyway

I think anyone who thought Bangala was okay was very much looking for it - he made a few very basic passes under no pressure but outside that - he gave the ball away, didn’t break up play and just looked generally clumsy. He wasn’t any worse than Reading or JML though - very disappointed in both. 

As someone who has been anti McKenzie playing I genuinely think he is now our best option to play off Dipo - holds the ball up well, and does some excellent work  in the wide areas too. It is very strange as he was utter pish when played out wide but when he is able to drift over to either flank can help create. 

I thought the entire team (including the subs) were poor last night, Chalmers is possibly the only one I'd give pass marks to but even he flattered to deceive with regards an end product.

I don't know if it was just me but I felt that many of our players were trying to be over physical and were concentrating too much on matching the perception of "the hard Junior team" as opposed to actually trying to play our own game.

As others have said Bangala wasn't terrible but he also didn't do an awful lot but then again he wasn't alone in that.

Pollok played very well and got their tactics spot on, however it should also be said that they never really troubled us or looked like scoring so while it's a night to forget it's a means to an end and we're through to the next round with an intact squad as far as I saw, so I suppose that's good enough in the bigger picture.

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Bangala needs to go out on loan somewhere to find his feet or we'll have to pay him off in May, the game passed him by, it looked like players were actively not passing to him.

It legit looked like that, and when he did get the ball all he did was pass it back or play a five yard pass to someone else. That along with some clumsy tackling is all he seems capable of.

That's a fair chunk it'll cost to pay him off when he's inevitably released at end of season.