The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

137 players at this world cup are playing for countries not of their birth. Some will have grandparent eligibility but many will use the Fifa rules.

Cummings holds dual citizenship because his mum is Australian which is why he was eligible for Australia.

The home nations as said above have different rules so Dipo's career purple patch will not be getting him a Scotland call.

20221126_122638.thumb.jpg.a09b19ad7bfbc7bb9af54751dadd66d4.jpg

Edited by Jamie_M

13 hours ago, rgreig said:

You are right. It turns out that there is now an additional clause about 5 years of education in the country that I have to say I had never heard of until I looked now. You can read about the various agreements and criteria over the years here: FIFA eligibility rules - Wikipedia

That covers Sterling, for Barnes in interviews he has apparently said he thinks the English FA didn't actually realise he wasn't born in England (!).

It was well known at the time that Barnes was from Jamaica. From what I remember he could have played for any of the home nations but played for England as that is where he plied his trade. Bear in mind that the rules 40 years ago might have been a bit different.

The Home Nations can’t cap players based on U.K. citizenship because they’re multiple countries within a country. Otherwise anyone who was a U.K. citizen would be eligible to represent any of the four nations which would be a massive can of worms.

If it’s happened in the past then the rule’s been changed at some point. They need to have parents or grandparents born here, or have been schooled here for x number of years.

Edited by eez-eh

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The Home Nations can’t cap players based on U.K. citizenship because they’re multiple countries within a country. Otherwise anyone who was a U.K. citizen would be eligible to represent any of the four nations which would be a massive can of worms.

If it’s happened in the past then the rule’s been changed at some point. They need to have parents or grandparents born here, or have been schooled here for x number of years.

I think It was an agreement between the four FAs at the time, relating to people with British citizenship but who weren't born in the UK. 

He was first capped for England u21s in 1982. Rules were a bit different then, I'm not sure the grandparent rule applied for another few years..

42 minutes ago, rb123! said:

It's just a temporary thing for this season since the new stand will be getting built there next year

I'm going to stand in the north terrace any time I'm at Somerset now until the build starts, got a feeling that I'm gonna miss it this way 😔

There hasn't been such a dramatic change at Somerset since I've been going to Ayr games, other than the conveniently placed conservatory at the front of the main stand 😅 and the loss of those iconic floodlights.

58 minutes ago, rb123! said:

You still moaning about lukewarm food.

It's just a temporary thing for this season since the new stand will be getting built there next year

Haha, no, just making sure all options are explored. Looking forward to the no doubt shite draw we get.

4 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

I'm going to stand in the north terrace any time I'm at Somerset now until the build starts, got a feeling that I'm gonna miss it this way 😔

There hasn't been such a dramatic change at Somerset since I've been going to Ayr games, other than the conveniently placed conservatory at the front of the main stand 😅 and the loss of those iconic floodlights.

The blocking off of the back of the Somerset road end, the main stand extension, the loss of part of the NT and the black & white shop and the addition of the hospitality suite would be mine I think.

Although I must admit I really do miss the old floodlights as well.

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Ah, I've only been attending Somerset since 1998 😅 obviously more changes before I started appearing. I'm sure we'll all miss it though.

I remember you could walk round the back of where the hospitality is and sneak in through a hole in the away end fence 😂 I was too sh*tebag to go through it back then, at 8/9 years old 😂 when Dalziel was looked upon by us young like Jesus and Somerset was, without a doubt, the world's best stadium 😂 as we hadn't seen any other.

Recently, I can say I found it quite out of the ordinary that I was eating Pizza instead of pie at Somerset 😅 though I've no complaints about that.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

The blocking off of the back of the Somerset road end, the main stand extension, the loss of part of the NT and the black & white shop and the addition of the hospitality suite would be mine I think.

Was that from when the hospitality went in? Or the loss of the walls to piss against down the back of it? 

Yes, when it used to go back much further and you had the black and white shop up at the back which was always good for buying a wee pin badge or program etc.

Fanzines are another big miss from modern football whether it be our own 5-1 / honest truth or any of our opponents stuff which were usually an interesting / entertaining read also.

7b8620e7b18dcc1fa6d2739b148ae0ec.jpg
The half time board - the programme would detail which games the letters related to and the scores would get put up at half time.

Think it went in the mid to late Seventies when the tannoy would then announce the half time scores.

The Black and White Shop must be just out of shot on the left side of the photo.

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The half time board - the programme would detail which games the letters related to and the scores would get put up at half time.

Think it went in the mid to late Seventies when the tannoy would then announce the half time scores.

The Black and White Shop must be just out of shot on the left side of the photo.

Looking at photos like that where the stand is completely packed is so depressing. How good it would be if we still attracted that sort of level of support.

25 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Is there even a wall keeping people off the park? That's a fantastic picture 😊. Is that a chimney there from the old turner's factory?

Looking at photos like that where the stand is completely packed is so depressing. How good it would be if we still attracted that sort of level of support.

That’s the North Terrace not the stand.

The game is our record attendance v Rangers in Sept 1969 - 25,225 but probably more in reality. 2-1 win for us.

While you can’t see the perimeter wall it is there it’s just that people had spilled onto the track in front of it to watch the match. There’s the famous picture from that match of the guy lying next Davie Stewart’s nets at the Somerset Road end.