The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 hours ago, RedEd said:

We signed Jemson from Bury, don't think he ever played for Crystal Palace. Dean Wordsworth was on the books at Selhurst Park before we signed him.

I seem to remember Jemson scoring something like 5 goals in 4 games while on a short-term  contract. He was then given a longer one, didn't score again and was gone before the end of the season.

Jemson was top class at his best and I'm sure he was a £1 Mllion player back in the days when £1 Million was today's equivalent of £25 to £30 Million.

I remember him being at Sheff Wed (when they were an English top 10 side) and I'm sure he was even on the fringes of the English National team, however the guy we got was about a stone overweight with his best days behind him, however was still a big name at the time.

20 hours ago, RedEd said:

I think we did. £30k rings a bell, but I could be wrong.

The rumour at the time was that Livi owed Barr the cash for the stadium but couldn't pay, so we basically got a pick of all their players (and Duthie was very highly rated), however he was utterly useless when signed for us.

On 24/11/2022 at 12:56, Tam_O_Shanter said:

Your memory is playing tricks Paavola 3 appeareances and 2 subs, no goals;  Nylan, 2 appearances , in a team that was relegated.  They didn't rob their team mates, so not the worst in that Stainrod squad.

I think you're mixing up Paavola with someone else. Dalziel signed him after he took over in 1996 and he scored a handful of goals as that season was salvaged, but didn't return for the title winning season that followed.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Jemson was top class at his best and I'm sure he was a £1 Mllion player back in the days when £1 Million was today's equivalent of £25 to £30 Million.

I remember him being at Sheff Wed (when they were an English top 10 side) and I'm sure he was even on the fringes of the English National team, however the guy we got was about a stone overweight with his best days behind him, however was still a big name at the time.

I did think at the time that Jemson was one of the most naturally talented players we had signed. It was a pity he could not be bothered once he had a contract. Would love to know what he thought of his time at Ayr - would not be surprised if he thought Dalziel was a clown.

Neil Tarrant was another of that era that I thought never came close to fulfilling his potential. I remember he scored a great goal against Partick in the Scottish Cup to seal our place in the semi final I think it was.

20 hours ago, RedEd said:

I'm sure Sam McGivern scored around 15 goals for Ayr.

Particularly impressive since he played a lot of games in midfield, as did Colin McGlashan.

Yeah he did score a few goals for Ayr and wasn't bad. Fairly sure his legs had gone by that point and couldn't change games like before

2 hours ago, ROVERSRAITH1994 said:

Is there anyone on here that travels to away games on the official supporters club I might be able to help if the bus wants to to for a pre match pint when you come ti Kirkcaldy next year long way off I know but it’s just to see if there’s interest.

Contact Simon Kenny at The Ship Inn pub in Ayr he runs the supporters bus, he runs the pub so you should get him if you phone there  

Edited by Finlay21

I have a question 😊

Roxanne and I were talking about players at this year's world cup. I mentioned that Jason Cummings could appear for Australia (Although playing in friendlies for Scotland) and that Lyndon Dykes is originally from Australia.

Is the 5 year rule still there? I remember Lorenzo Amoruso and Nacho Novo (pair of p***ks) were eligible to play for Scotland under being in Scotland and becoming citizens after 5 years 🤔 or something along those lines.

So, basing it on that (in hope the 5 year rule exists) Does that mean Dipo could turn out for Scotland in the manner of which Sir Lawrence did, if he chose to do so? 🤔 

Edit* Having looked at the FIFA ruling and yes, if he so chose to by living in a British country long enough to receive British citizenship. 

Edited by Roxanne's man

15 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I have a question 😊

Roxanne and I were talking about players at this year's world cup. I mentioned that Jason Cummings could appear for Australia (Although playing in friendlies for Scotland) and that Lyndon Dykes is originally from Australia.

Is the 5 year rule still there? I remember Lorenzo Amoruso and Nacho Novo (pair of p***ks) were eligible to play for Scotland under being in Scotland and becoming citizens after 5 years 🤔 or something along those lines.

So, basing it on that (in hope the 5 year rule exists) Does that mean Dipo could turn out for Scotland in the manner of which Sir Lawrence did, if he chose to do so? 🤔 

I'm sure there is no 5 year rule.  You cant become a citizen of the UK, just by working here for 5 years.  Internatinal football criteria is generally ancestry as far back as grandparents, but there are some exceptions.

5 hours ago, rgreig said:

Would love to know what he thought of his time at Ayr - would not be surprised if he thought Dalziel was a clown.

Danny Diver gave an interview after he left Ayr, he said he had a meeting with Daziel at the end of the season, Daziel sat in the portacabin with his feet up on the desk, said all he was missing was a cigar. Daziel told him about his plans and how Diver wouldn’t be part of them

48 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I have a question 😊

Edit* Having looked at the FIFA ruling and yes, if he so chose to by living in a British country long enough to receive British citizenship. 

Dipo is English 😹

29 minutes ago, Tam_O_Shanter said:

I'm sure there is no 5 year rule.  You cant become a citizen of the UK, just by working here for 5 years.  Internatinal football criteria is generally ancestry as far back as grandparents, but there are some exceptions.

I thought that originally, so I thought it best to ask 🤔

I just remember the Berti vogts days where Didier Agathe and Lorenzo Amoruso were considered for Scotland.

10 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

I have a question 😊

I believe that the home nations apply their own criteria on top which is basically the "granny rule" - i.e. you need to have a relative up to a grandparent who was born in the country.

You are right though, many international teams do follow the FIFA rule and do not apply additional ancestry requirements. For example, I believe Steve Mandanda (French goalkeeper) who moved to France from Zaire as a child is an example but there are many others.

1 hour ago, rgreig said:

I believe that the home nations apply their own criteria on top which is basically the "granny rule" - i.e. you need to have a relative up to a grandparent who was born in the country.

You are right though, many international teams do follow the FIFA rule and do not apply additional ancestry requirements. For example, I believe Steve Mandanda (French goalkeeper) who moved to France from Zaire as a child is an example but there are many others.

Most famous ones would likely be Patrick Viera (Senegal) and Claude Makélélé  (zaire) both played for France

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Pretty sure John Barnes and Raheem Sterling were both born in Jamaica.

You are right. It turns out that there is now an additional clause about 5 years of education in the country that I have to say I had never heard of until I looked now. You can read about the various agreements and criteria over the years here: FIFA eligibility rules - Wikipedia

That covers Sterling, for Barnes in interviews he has apparently said he thinks the English FA didn't actually realise he wasn't born in England (!).