The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, southsiderayr said:

Any truth about us taking a guy called Hamadou Karamoko? Heard we were linked with him, work permit might get in the way again like Bangala though

Passes the 'does he exist' test, at least. French third division jobber.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadou_Karamoko

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

I’m having flashbacks to the Simon Stainrod era when we enjoyed a cavalcade of agent recommended and completely useless foreign signings.  Apart from Frank Rolling obviously, he was class.

The big Finnish International striker was bloody good (Tommi Paavola ?) and the Swedish International full back (Nicklas Nylan) was pure class.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The big Finnish International striker was bloody good (Tommi Paavola ?) and the Swedish International full back (Nicklas Nylan) was pure class.

Your memory is playing tricks Paavola 3 appeareances and 2 subs, no goals;  Nylan, 2 appearances , in a team that was relegated.  They didn't rob their team mates, so not the worst in that Stainrod squad.

Edited by Tam_O_Shanter

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Horace and D'jaffo didn't exactly come with great pedigrees but we know how they both turned out.........

They were both signed by Dalziel, as was Paavola (who did look decent in a couple of trial games before deciding against moving to Scotland.  Nylen only played 1 or 2 games for us then disappeared again.  

6 minutes ago, Tam_O_Shanter said:

Your memory is playing tricks Paavola 3 appeareances and 2 subs, no goals;  Nylan, 2 appearances , in a team that was relegated.  They didn't rob their team mates, so not the worst in that Stainrod squad.

Paavola definitely scored a couple of goals, against Dumbarton I think.  We teamed him up with the legendary Danny Diver for a couple of games.  He did look good, was a pity he never signed permanently.

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

I’m having flashbacks to the Simon Stainrod era when we enjoyed a cavalcade of agent recommended and completely useless foreign signings.  Apart from Frank Rolling obviously, he was class.

The Daziel era was full of these type of signings and Stainrod was the agent who brought them all over, continuing to make a fortune out the club years after fielding a team full of juniors and almost getting us relegated to league 2

21 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Paavola definitely scored a couple of goals, against Dumbarton I think.  We teamed him up with the legendary Danny Diver for a couple of games.  He did look good, was a pity he never signed permanently.

I could be wrong but I'm sure Paavola scored at least 2 against Berwick who we scudded (at least 4-0) when they were top and we were bottom.

22 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Correct, we put 5 past I think Dumbarton or Berwick maybe, 2 for Paavola, hat trick for Diver. 

30 minutes ago, Tam_O_Shanter said:

No, I definitely saw him score goals for us and Nylan was superb in the few games he played and stuck out a mile.

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The Daziel era was full of these type of signings and Stainrod was the agent who brought them all over, continuing to make a fortune out the club years after fielding a team full of juniors and almost getting us relegated to league 2

Maybe it was an age thing but I really enjoyed that time and some of the players we had were great to watch and a welcome change from the typical Scottish type player.

Every week was a journey into the unexpected and unknown and although it all went pear shaped in the end it did give us lots of great (and some not so great) memories.