The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

30 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

McAdams

McAllister Bilham Bangala Ecrepont

Ashford Smith Murdoch JML

Bryden Young

That would be my shout for Pollok, Murdoch will be suspended for Raith so gets a run out, give Dempsey a rest, likes of Dipo/Chalmers/Mullin/McGinty/Reading can be on the bench and only used if absolutely necessary.

Several of those players haven’t even proven themselves above junior level yet. That is a league one team at absolute best - and would be pretty likely to lose. 

Edited by No_Problemo

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Several of those players haven’t even proven themselves above junior level yet. That is a league one team at absolute best - and would be pretty likely to lose. 

That's a bit of a statement.  Apart from Bilham, all have played first team minutes for us this season.  Bangala still has something to prove, however if we're too scared for him to feature v Pollok at home, then he might as well be released in January.

Edited by callum-ayr

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

That's a bit of a statement.  Apart from Bilham, all have played first team minutes for us this season.  Bangala still has something to prove, however if we're too scared for him to feature v Pollok at home, then he might as well be released in January.

Bilham, Ecrepont and Bangala barely have. Bryden and Smith have made a handful of appearances too. 

I certainly wouldn’t be risking our Scottish Cup hopes on a back four like that. And playing Bangala who has looked positionally woeful, at centre half alongside a youth player is absolutely that. 

It’s the Scottish Cup, it isn’t midweek - get our best players playing, get the game won and then rotate. Surely we know by now not to underestimate teams to that extent…

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Bilham, Ecrepont and Bangala barely have. Bryden and Smith have made a handful of appearances too. 

I certainly wouldn’t be risking our Scottish Cup hopes on a back four like that. And playing Bangala who has looked positionally woeful, at centre half alongside a youth player is absolutely that. 

It’s the Scottish Cup, it isn’t midweek - get our best players playing, get the game won and then rotate. Surely we know by now not to underestimate teams to that extent…

Smith has started and played well at this level, getting more game time is what he needs.  Ecrepont has look capable his last few sub appearances.  The biggest concern (stop laughing at the back) is McGinty playing, getting an injury and Musonda is still out, and we have no centre halves for Raith.  Bryden has goals at this level and in the cups, you can switch McKenzie for him if needed.

7 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Smith has started and played well at this level, getting more game time is what he needs.  Ecrepont has look capable his last few sub appearances.  The biggest concern (stop laughing at the back) is McGinty playing, getting an injury and Musonda is still out, and we have no centre halves for Raith.  Bryden has goals at this level and in the cups, you can switch McKenzie for him if needed.

Completely happy with Smith, and probably Ecrepont playing, needs to be a balance though. Even for the likes of the younger players playing - they need competent players alongside them not just chucking everyone in. Especially as Pollok are going to get right after us. You could maybe do something like this: 

Albinson 

McAllister   Bilham    McGinty   Ecrepont

Chalmers   Murdoch   Smith   Ashford 

Young Akinyemi

That back four still terrifies me though, but not many options. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

McAdams

Bryden Young

That would be my shout for Pollok, Murdoch will be suspended for Raith so gets a run out, give Dempsey a rest, likes of Dipo/Chalmers/Mullin/McGinty/Reading can be on the bench and only used if absolutely necessary.

I think Murdoch only has 5 league booking so one off a suspension 

I’d be playing as strong a side as possible. Even the slimmest possibility of drawing either Celtic or Rangers in the next round and the associated bump in cash might be the difference between maintaining a run at the top end of the table or fading out of contention. It’s essential we get past Pollok.

22 hours ago, scamp1909 said:

Think he's played Centre-Back every game under Fox and it's not worked once.

Who would've thought playing a guy who's 5'8 at Right Centre-Back wouldn't work... 🤔

Cracking wee Midfielder too.

Scored a great goal, think it was his first time in midfield for DU

I’d be happy with a line up like this for Pollok

McAdams

McAllister
Bangala
McGinty
Ecrepont

McKenzie
Smith
Murdoch
Mitchell-Lawson

Ashford
Akinyemi

I don’t see why Scottish Cup games are viewed as a chance to rest players. We should be aiming to go and scud this lot to boost a bit of confidence and guarantee our spot in the next round. If it’d been a Challenge Cup match, fine. We could realistically get a decent money spinner in the next round which would help us in January.

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

McAdams

Bryden Young

A decent cup run might be what we need to finance a couple of signings in January.  Playing such a weakened team against a team that were good enough to take 4 off Annan would be a reckless gamble.

6 minutes ago, Nelson said:

A decent cup run might be what we need to finance a couple of signings in January.  Playing such a weakened team against a team that were good enough to take 4 off Annan would be a reckless gamble.

Taking this side lightly would be a mistake.

There are plenty of teams further down the pyramid who are hungry for a Scottish Cup scalp and are more than capable of getting one. We've made that mistake before. 

I'd be playing the strongest team we can.

3 hours ago, RedEd said:

Surprised so many folk want an inexperienced full-back who is under 6ft to play a first team game in central defence.

He played there in the league cup, if Musonda is injured then it is McCallister or Bangala purely because they are all we have that can play there

With the situation now with Kirk i think this game is the perfect chance for Bangala to be put in at CB to see how he is, would rather give him game time to get up to speed instead of being potentially flung in at the deep end against Raith.

If Musonda is back though i'm 99% sure we'll be running Musonda/McGinty for December with Bangala as back up. 

Progression in the cup would help with funds for January as we're possibly going to require a CB.