The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

I find the comments about a potential Akinyemi sale from the usual suspects in the media to be absolutely incredible. It's nothing new, but it's mad how out of touch everyone seems to be to everything outside of the big two in Glasgow.

Comments about Premiership teams picking up Akinyemi for buttons in January to bolster the second half of their season. Have any of them actually looked into the situation to see the contract status or looked at what kind of fee has been paid previously for a player on the form that Akinyemi is? The expectation that any championship club would just accept the first offer, no matter how low the fee, without any consideration of what said player could contribute to their own season in the long run.

Dafties man.

Yes, they were insinuating that the likes of a Motherwell / St Johnstone / Ross County etc would more or less be doing us a favour by "taking a chance on him" in January.

As you say, cloud cuckoo land stuff.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s a really difficult one, we all want more control of games but ultimately the current strategy is working and we tend to create more chances than the opposition. 

I completely agree that we need to be able to slow games down at times though - but as you said the extra midfielder didn’t work against Hamilton. I think we just need the right type of signing in central midfield though - either the Mark Kerr style player who anchors things and allows Chalmers and Mullin to get close to Akinyemi or a McInroy style player who can drop deeper when needed but can also take turns with Dempsey to play off of Akinyemi with the wide players. 

As we discussed last week I would love to get Lawson from Hamilton, but he probably doesn’t fit our model in that we would need to pay a fee, and that he doesn’t really have any resell value at his age. 

This in a nutshell.

We look like scoring in every single game, we've competed in every single game and ultimately we've only lost 3 of our 16 games so far and those were all close affairs where we were in with every chance of taking at least a point.

The style of play won't suit everyone but it's working and that is the main thing.

The squad is strong in most areas and apart from Dipo we've got McKenzie and Young contributing goals when they play and Mullen, Chalmers, JML all serious threats with even Murdoch and Dempsey getting forward and adding a few goals themselves.  Apart from this we now look a threat from set pieces with McGinty and Kirk both adding goals also and of course getting quality deliveries from both sides via Chalmers and Mullin is a huge reason for this.

Things aren't perfect but they never are, however unlike the Uncle Ian times, I really feel that we are capable of staying where we are at the top of this league, although much will depend on the extent of Kirk's injury and the Musonda situation and whether or not we manage to get in a couple of quality players in the right positions in January and of course whether they integrate as hoped.

Irrespective, it looks like the Cup weekend has come at the right time for us and Pollok should also be the ideal tie to rest a couple of players while still showing them respect and fielding a good enough side to see us through....

Lawson would be an excellent signing. Would love to see that kind of addition.

Might be a bit of an exaggeration, but a signing like that could easily have the kind of impact that bringing in Steven Bell in the 17/18 title winning season did, imo.

But as mentioned, I don't think he's someone we would be able to pay for/bring in.

The break has come at the right time, no doubt wrt. injuries. Is there any news on Kirk?

I wouldn't say we are playing especially well at the moment, which feels bizarre given we are top. In our recent games we seem to go for long spells devoid of any ideas. The first half was like that after Ashford spurned the early chance.

If we get our shit together we can win this league. I agree we need a centre midfielder who keeps the ball moving and can recycle possession. A big January window coming up.

If we're still top after our next four league games then I'll start believing:

Home v Raith

Away v Thistle

Home v Dundee

Away v Morton

That'll take us to the start of the transfer window and we'd have a great chance.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, they were insinuating that the likes of a Motherwell / St Johnstone / Ross County etc would more or less be doing us a favour by "taking a chance on him" in January.

As you say, cloud cuckoo land stuff.

Since he won't be going to the Old Firm and Hearts have Shankland, I think the only two teams left who could afford Dipo are Hibs and Aberdeen. Hibs have Kevin Nisbett coming back from injury and Aberdeen seem ok for goals so I think the risk is probably a well off League One club down south. It would need to be some offer, though, for Ayr to consider it 

Edited by edinburghhonestman

Bangala can play at centre half if I remember correctly, either him or McCallister will be beside McGinty next Monday night I'd expect. 

Unlike the league cup, we need to take the Scottish cup seriously, But with our injury list growing, I wouldn't take a risk on any players who may be 50/50. Its also live on TV so it would be good not to be put out to a junior team......again. 

If McCallister is at Centre half, I'd play Ecripont and shift Reading over but I'd rather play Bangala in case we need to use him there in the weeks ahead. 

I'd start Ashrord again and hope he can finally score, depending on Chalmers fitness, McKenzie should start also. 

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

Lawson would be an excellent signing. Would love to see that kind of addition.

Might be a bit of an exaggeration, but a signing like that could easily have the kind of impact that bringing in Steven Bell in the 17/18 title winning season did, imo.

But as mentioned, I don't think he's someone we would be able to pay for/bring in.

Sorry if I've missed something, who is Lawson ?

26 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Bangala can play at centre half if I remember correctly, either him or McCallister will be beside McGinty next Monday night I'd expect. 

Unlike the league cup, we need to take the Scottish cup seriously, But with our injury list growing, I wouldn't take a risk on any players who may be 50/50. Its also live on TV so it would be good not to be put out to a junior team......again. 

If McCallister is at Centre half, I'd play Ecripont and shift Reading over but I'd rather play Bangala in case we need to use him there in the weeks ahead. 

I'd start Ashrord again and hope he can finally score, depending on Chalmers fitness, McKenzie should start also. 

I'd agree with this, however we're at home and we're top of the Championship with a pretty strong squad, so really no excuses.

The likes of McAdams, Ecrepont, Bangala, McAllister, McGinty, McKenzie, Ashford, Young, Bryden, Smith etc should all be able to come in and do a job, which gives them all the much needed game time and gives some of our main men a rest.

Famous last words of course.....

Lawson is one of the best midfielders in this league and can play anywhere, strong aggressive, exactly what we need but there is no chance Hamilton are t gonna let him go no chance, we should be targeting him for a pre agreement if we are allowed to that’s how thistle and Livingstone work every year, cherry picking the best players.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

The thought of Bangala at centre half is terrifying, given how woeful he has looked positionally in his short cameos.

4 hours ago, AuAl said:

I find the comments about a potential Akinyemi sale from the usual suspects in the media to be absolutely incredible. It's nothing new, but it's mad how out of touch everyone seems to be to everything outside of the big two in Glasgow.

Open All Mics is pretty much the only place outside of local newspapers that you're ever going to hear anything remotely sensible about the lower leagues and even then it's typically superficial unless the pundit in question happens to be a fan of that team. The national papers just phone it in.

We won’t be signed Lawson. He’s under contract and has zero resale value so it doesn’t make sense from that point of view.

Liam Grimshaw is out of contract and would easily slot in as our starting right back and can cover in midfield when needed.

Feel like there will be another random plucked from down South who can maybe do a job. Maybe a loan or two with a view to making it permanent like Dempsey. I don’t see the club being in a position to all of a sudden spend a fair chunk of money at the first sign of a potential promotion. We have to be smarter than that.