The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 17/11/2022 at 07:32, RedEd said:

M&S, Wilko, Boots, Mountain Warehouse, Waterstones, Boots, Slaters, HMV, The Works, Claire's Accesories, O2, EE.

A selection of major retailers on Ayr High Street. Nobody is disputing the difficulties it (and every other town centre) faces, even Troon has a few empty units, but it's not quite dead yet. Add Blacks and Ayr Central to the list and you'll probably find Ayr is in a better position than many similar sized towns.

I was in the WH Smiths during summer and they didn't even have the fucking lights on upstairs. There were school kids just filling their bags with stuff.

Ayr is categorically the most fucked high street in Scotland in my experience.

That's not to say that the town itself is dead, just that Operation Big Box in the early 90s has completely transformed it. Heathfield is busy, Prestwick at least still has nightlife, but the town centre is roughly as lively as late-1945 Hiroshima. Difficult to see how it could possibly be saved.

Edited by Thumper

On the rare occasions I'm in Ayr now I never get much further into town than Burns Statue Square to charge my car and Tempura on Parkhouse St to eat. I imagine things get more desolate the deeper you go.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

On the rare occasions I'm in Ayr now I never get much further into town than Burns Statue Square to charge my car and Tempura on Parkhouse St to eat. I imagine things get more desolate the deeper you go.

Top of the town isn't that bad, Wallace tower onwards is grim

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Ayr is categorically the most fucked high street in Scotland in my experience.

Been to Paisley High Street recently?

11 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

What are these "different types of films" you speak of?

Nothing that would require you to wear a long overcoat.

Feels like a big month ahead. 6 points ahead of 5th but not playing particularly well and our 2 best centre halves injured, leaving only McGinty.  3 games to go against Raith, Partick and Dundee before transfer window opens.  Can we hold on to playoff spot before strengthening?  I'd like to think yes,  if only because nobody else other than Morton look like grabbing 3 wins in a row.

You know what- I've just realised I'm gutted at drawing at Inverness to have our lead at the top of the table cut.  If that isn't progress then I don't know what is.  

Here's to taking half a dozen off some juniors next week (6-3 win) and regroup in a fortnight.  

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

You know what- I've just realised I'm gutted at drawing at Inverness to have our lead at the top of the table cut.  If that isn't progress then I don't know what is.  

Here's to taking half a dozen off some juniors next week (6-3 win) and regroup in a fortnight.  

Aye, it may be the pints talking but I'm warming up to the result today, especially considering how pish we were the second half. Glad we have a couple weeks till the next league game, I think we need it.

I'm concerned about the defence situation obviously but I don't think I expected us to be top for this long so happy enough. Need to drag it out to January and get another centre half in.

Edited by AuAl

It would be interesting to see if our analytics team study individual defensive errors that directly lead to goals. Struggling to think of any captains of teams over the years that continually made bombscare errors.  Whilst any captain doesn't need to be the best player they do need to be someone the team can rely on. Not sure it sends out a good message to the fringe players who see these howlers  but are still not given a chance. I'm not advocating McGinty gtf but at least he should earn his place based on performance. As it stands Bullen will try and shoehorn him in whenever possible to justify a decision. Over the piece points will be dropped until these basic errors get sorted

24 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Yes but it's after playing shit for weeks and continually resorting to the one good striker rescuing games by whacking long balls at him. That's exactly the same tactics as last season.

12 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

As it stands Bullen will try and shoehorn him in whenever possible to justify a decision.

In fairness Bullen did actually drop him for a while when there were sufficient other options available (a period which unsurprisingly resulted in much better performances). But with Kirk and Musonda out he's not really got a choice. And if there's one thing McGinty absolutely loves it's being able to play like a fucking juniors player because he can't be dropped.

14 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

It would be interesting to see if our analytics team study individual defensive errors that directly lead to goals. Struggling to think of any captains of teams over the years that continually made bombscare errors.  Whilst any captain doesn't need to be the best player they do need to be someone the team can rely on. Not sure it sends out a good message to the fringe players who see these howlers  but are still not given a chance. I'm not advocating McGinty gtf but at least he should earn his place based on performance. As it stands Bullen will try and shoehorn him in whenever possible to justify a decision. Over the piece points will be dropped until these basic errors get sorted

Not sure that's entirely fair - McGinty only came back in when Musonda went to left back as Paddy was having a mare or two.   And in the game v Partick when he made the sub it worked.   Pretty sure if we had an on form left back and everyone fit McGinty would be on bench and Murdoch captain 

I think the problem with McGinty is that once he makes one error he tends to just lose the head completely and doesn't look confident at all. He becomes very shaky for a full 90 minutes and we find ourselves looking vulnerable at the back.

On occasions when he has come off the bench with clear instructions to help see a game out, he has been largely fine.

We need to shore up the defence in January, we are largely fine up top but could also do with another centre mid. Paul Smith has had some good cameos but I would like to see us having another centre mid that can operate as more of an attacking, creative player, which would free up Murdoch/Dempsey to sit slightly further back and work as an additional shield for the defence. We seem to get overrun very easily in the middle of the park.

2 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I think the problem with McGinty is that once he makes one error he tends to just lose the head completely and doesn't look confident at all. He becomes very shaky for a full 90 minutes and we find ourselves looking vulnerable at the back.

On occasions when he has come off the bench with clear instructions to help see a game out, he has been largely fine.

We need to shore up the defence in January, we are largely fine up top but could also do with another centre mid. Paul Smith has had some good cameos but I would like to see us having another centre mid that can operate as more of an attacking, creative player, which would free up Murdoch/Dempsey to sit slightly further back and work as an additional shield for the defence. We seem to get overrun very easily in the middle of the park.

Yes fully agree, also a centre mid short, possibly mean some out on loan, Ashford for me, other than running about gives zero 

20 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Had a tactical analyst review today's game and she doesn't see how Ashford gets a game.  She also thinks that we changed back from 433 too quickly after the equaliser.  

Reveal hidden contents

PXL_20221119_155412107.thumb.jpg.b6a6b40f1090945f487d838cc5ede026.jpg

Ashford, starting? You've got to be kitten me.

I'll see myself out.

I don't agree that Ashford is anywhere near as bad as people are making out as we've had some very good team performances when Ashford has played and his work rate can't be questioned, however there's no doubt that he's suffering from a severe lack of confidence just now and some of his misses this season (and end of last) beggar belief.

That said, there is no doubt though that we're at our most dangerous when when we go with Mullan right, Chalmers left (with both interchanging) and Dipo through the middle with either McKenzie or Young just behind. That gives us multiple goal threats and excellent deliveries from both sides of the park, Yes, it perhaps leaves our Midfield 2 a little light but you can't have everything and the threat that we have up top and from the flanks outweighs any sort of downside I'd say.

We can only hope that Kirk's injury is not as bad as it looked and that Frankie will be back sooner rather than later, however if the worst comes to the worst I'm sure we'll manage to bring one or two in on loan, especially given our lofty position and good publicity that we've been getting.

Anyway, a good point up at Inverness, our recent unbeaten run intact, still clear at the top and a wee break from league duty until early December, so really it's all pretty good.......