The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

M&S, Wilko, Boots, Mountain Warehouse, Waterstones, Boots, Slaters, HMV, The Works, Claire's Accesories, O2, EE.

A selection of major retailers on Ayr High Street. Nobody is disputing the difficulties it (and every other town centre) faces, even Troon has a few empty units, but it's not quite dead yet. Add Blacks and Ayr Central to the list and you'll probably find Ayr is in a better position than many similar sized towns.

9 hours ago, RedEd said:

M&S, Wilko, Boots, Mountain Warehouse, Waterstones, Boots, Slaters, HMV, The Works, Claire's Accesories, O2, EE.

A selection of major retailers on Ayr High Street. Nobody is disputing the difficulties it (and every other town centre) faces, even Troon has a few empty units, but it's not quite dead yet. Add Blacks and Ayr Central to the list and you'll probably find Ayr is in a better position than many similar sized towns.

Unfortunately that is 12 shops in about a square mile of bleak desperation. 

The Flagship shop in Ayr Central is empty and I don’t see any major retailer moving in to a shop that size unless M&S decided to move out a shop it presumably owns to one it’ll rent. 

The high street is no longer what it used to be and it will never come back, so the challenge isn’t, how to we return it to its former glory, it’s, what do we do with it now? 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

The Flagship shop in Ayr Central is empty and I don’t see any major retailer moving in to a shop that size unless M&S decided to move out a shop it presumably owns to one it’ll rent. 

The high street is no longer what it used to be and it will never come back, so the challenge isn’t, how to we return it to its former glory, it’s, what do we do with it now? 

Big chain stores killed off the small independent shops. Online shopping and supermarkets have killed off many of the chain stores. Now the High Street is dead and no one is willing to revive it.

Thanks SAC. Cheers Capitalism.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Big chain stores killed off the small independent shops. Online shopping and supermarkets have killed off many of the chain stores. Now the High Street is dead and no one is willing to revive it.

Thanks SAC. Cheers Capitalism.

Apart from this man and his huge jeans

Alan Pardew reveals what he stressed to Mike Ashley about Newcastle  United's training ground - Chronicle Live

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Hardly a square mile. Not even a linear mile. I've often wondered whether M&S might move to the old Debenhams unit, though it might not suit them.

The council is consulting on the future of the town centre. A few years late in my opinion, but with some of the suggestions in the press release I'm not confident of a positive outcome.

Haven't heard much about the Kyle Centre development recently. It was supposed to be a cinema with restaurants attached.

Edited by RedEd

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Hardly a square mile. Not even a linear mile. I've often wondered whether M&S might move to the old Debenhams unit, though it might not suit them.

The council is consulting on the future of the town centre. A few years late in my opinion, but with some of the suggestions in the press release I'm not confident of a positive outcome.

Haven't heard much about the Kyle Centre development recently. It was supposed to be a cinema with restaurants attached.

From Tam's brig to Burns Statue square it is depressing. Places like the old Hunner and ten bar, Babylon all the way to Hourstons. 

There is a lot of history that could be exploited to make the town more attractive to day trippers, and weekend breaks. Cleaning up the town centre and knocking down or properly utilising the abandoned buildings rather than just having them rot would help. 

The last I heard, the Odeon didn't want to move there and another chain wouldn't want to because there was already an Odeon in the town. 

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

That's never going to happen now i don't think with the current financial climate, plus i think it was only going ahead if the leisure centre did, which it isn't...

Plus also as already mentioned i think the whole odeon thing would have complicated matters, surprised odeon hasn't built a new place out at Heathfield somewhere tbh, although give it time

On 16/11/2022 at 12:17, Roxanne's man said:

The Rangers shop failed before next to The Forum, back before the Sevco resurrection and when the forum had a physical presence 😅

I used to love the shop upstairs in the forum that sold all the football tops.  Allsorts of obscure seconds.  

Must be going back 20-odd years though right enough!!  Bought an adidas CCCP top from there and a new joystick for my Commodore 64 from the bit next door.  Glory days!!  The shirts I had back then would be worth a fortune now.

Looking at our remaining fixtures there's a pretty good mix of monthly home and away games and higher and lower placed teams, course that could all change but there's not really any run of fixtures in any given month which stand out as being particularly difficult to pick up at least some points.

35 minutes ago, rb123! said:

That's never going to happen now i don't think with the current financial climate, plus i think it was only going ahead if the leisure centre did, which it isn't...

Probably not. Don't think it was linked to the leisure centre development though.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Cleaning up the town centre and knocking down or properly utilising the abandoned buildings rather than just having them rot would help. 

The last I heard, the Odeon didn't want to move there and another chain wouldn't want to because there was already an Odeon in the town. 

The majority of the empty units are privately owned, which brings additional challenges.

My understanding was that the cinema at the Kyle Centre wouldn't compete directly with the Odeon, It would show different types of films.

10 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I see we are having a calendar out this year again! A signing and shopping event on the 19th Dec. Really liked last years calendar (well the 2022 one) with some designs by the lad that posts on here who's username escapes me! 

Hiya 👋