The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

We have been in the top 4 for the majority of the season and it’s not just because of Dipo, Dempsey and Musonda are up there with the best defender and midfielder in the league but have pretty much gone I unmentioned in the media outside the VOR

Right but the VOR is also the only journalist who regularly attends Ayr matches except Chick Young (whose sole interest right now is in the future career prospects of Giovanni van Bronckhorst), Derek Ferguson (likewise) and the friday TV crews who, as noted above, did not get the chance to see Musonda's skills on Friday because he wasn't playing and weren't likely to come away with tremendously positive impressions of anyone else in an Ayr shirt except the aforementioned best striker in the league.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

They already are. On Open All Mics they suggested that someone could pick up Nouble for £100k, and Livingston could replace him with Dipo for less.

Some people are utterly clueless, to the extent that it's hilarious. We've extended (or are about to) Nouble's deal by a year - I think a few people are assuming their club will just sign a precontract with him and get him cheap :D Martindale seems headstrong enough about getting 2m+ for Nouble, you'd imagine that puts Akinyemi's price at a good high six-figure fee given the level. ~

I'd only be worried about him leaving if you guys don't get promoted, could be a thing that sets you up longer term, reinvesting and all that. If you do go up, surely you'd be asking for about 1m by that point if he continues his form

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Some people are utterly clueless, to the extent that it's hilarious. We've extended (or are about to) Nouble's deal by a year - I think a few people are assuming their club will just sign a precontract with him and get him cheap :D Martindale seems headstrong enough about getting 2m+ for Nouble, you'd imagine that puts Akinyemi's price at a good high six-figure fee given the level. ~

I'd only be worried about him leaving if you guys don't get promoted, could be a thing that sets you up longer term, reinvesting and all that. If you do go up, surely you'd be asking for about 1m by that point if he continues his form

You would think some of these so-called pundits would have their ears to the ground. Evidently not. 

20 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Right but the VOR is also the only journalist who regularly attends Ayr matches except Chick Young (whose sole interest right now is in the future career prospects of Giovanni van Bronckhorst), Derek Ferguson (likewise) and the friday TV crews who, as noted above, did not get the chance to see Musonda's skills on Friday because he wasn't playing and weren't likely to come away with tremendously positive impressions of anyone else in an Ayr shirt except the aforementioned best striker in the league.

Dempsey played on Friday and has played all season in games Akinyemi has also played in, I am not sure what point you are trying to argue here

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I suspect he'll be off in the summer regardless if he's touching thirty league goals, which is where he'd be on current form. But the two year deal at least means that Ayr will do well out of it. And even a single decent transfer fee justifies moving to even longer-term contracts after that.

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

Dempsey played on Friday and has played all season in games Akinyemi has also played in, I am not sure what point you are trying to argue here

I'm not saying that Dempsey isn't good, only that sports journalism in Scotland is so withered and insular that it is remarkable that most pundits even regularly discuss one player outside of the top flight. I remember when Moffat came in and the folk on Sportsound were discussing towards the tail end of the season that they were surprised to discover that Ayr's new wunderkind from the juniors was actually in his late 20s already.

Remember when we thought Tomi was the bees knees?

Then we unearthed Dipo.

Is this not the blueprint that the club is looking to establish?

Find a gem, sell them on, replace and start again.

Its the only way we can build a club for the top flight.

On a selfish note, I don’t want anyone going anywhere until the summer.

This is from an article in 2019 but imagine prize money is at least the same. Hopefully we are competing in top half of the league so there is £75k difference per position. That is before you consider increased crowds the better the team is performing and related corporate and merch sales. How we do in the cup and potential draw if we make it through also has an influence. Also play off revenue if we ended up in a play off position. So would need to carefully consider the risk of selling any major players against this and need a fee that justifies that.  Also easier to convince players to sing new contracts in January if they are convinced we are keeping our best players. There is also intangibles there linked to feel good factor around the club and better relationship between them and fans.  

Trying to think what the biggest transfer has been for a Scottish Tier 2 team in the last 20 years don't think any of them are close to what we would be looking for Dipo in January. 

image.png.19c83176f2227adebebc1c25af570038.png

2 hours ago, grazza said:

This is from an article in 2019 but imagine prize money is at least the same. Hopefully we are competing in top half of the league so there is £75k difference per position. That is before you consider increased crowds the better the team is performing and related corporate and merch sales. How we do in the cup and potential draw if we make it through also has an influence. Also play off revenue if we ended up in a play off position. So would need to carefully consider the risk of selling any major players against this and need a fee that justifies that.  Also easier to convince players to sing new contracts in January if they are convinced we are keeping our best players. There is also intangibles there linked to feel good factor around the club and better relationship between them and fans.  

Trying to think what the biggest transfer has been for a Scottish Tier 2 team in the last 20 years don't think any of them are close to what we would be looking for Dipo in January. 

image.png.19c83176f2227adebebc1c25af570038.png

Yes, even on a 1 year deal to let him go in January for less than £250k would be madness considering the differential in prize money between 3rd and 7th and that's before you factor in the chance of promotion via the play offs and the increased gate receipts.

The mere fact we have him on the 2 year contract should guarantee an offer of at least £500k should anyone be seriously interested, if not then all good and well, but to let Dipo leave in January for anything under £500k up front plus add ons would be sheer and utter lunacy and I'm sure David Smith is well aware of this.

Was it not confirmed as concussion? Reeks slightly of the Craig Moore situation. Hopefully not as severe. 

Think he was taken off as a precaution and they ruled it was concussion. Something else may have been discovered since then though.

He’s a big player for us.

18 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Moore really did have the worst luck, that concussion he had must go down as one of the worst of its type in football

Think it was the fact that he played on after the knock that really fucked him. Hopefully we got Chalmers off the pitch early enough. 

See Pollok have parted ways with their manager. Seems odd on the face of it with their SC results but chat from the fans seems to be that they haven’t been very good in the league.

I know it’s a potential banana skin but we need a convincing win against them.

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

See Pollok have parted ways with their manager. Seems odd on the face of it with their SC results but chat from the fans seems to be that they haven’t been very good in the league.

I know it’s a potential banana skin but we need a convincing win against them.

Strange timing!

They've sold 500 tickets for the game already, quite impressive.