The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I know he didn't have the best of games last night but I'm liking what I see from Josh Mullin. To say he's only on loan, he seems well up for it, the way he celebrates the goals and jeez up the crowds at times is just great to see. We have the makings of a great team here, we need to all be on board, we can't play well every week and we'll have a bad spell no doubt at some point but maybe we can just start to believe...

I think if you're talking about a title challenge then you're looking at two fullbacks, a centre half, a central midfielder and maybe another forward.

But for a playoff place then another two should be fine. If we are still up there come January then we should be able to attract a better quality player, even if they're on loan.

1 hour ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Finn has the same amount of assists in 30 mins as reading and Houston have had  combined all season  .

Kinda depressing stat. Don't think it's ideal that both our fullbacks are still quite young and don't really have any competition for their places.

Is it maybe a season or two to early to go up? possibly, Will we ever have a better chance?, possibly not! If Smith thinks we can go up, he will put his hand in his pocket as the financial benefits of even just one season in the top flight would be massive. The difference in this season than the McCall season is we almost got there by accident. This time, there's a plan and an infrastructure behind the team.

10 hours ago, Bruadair said:

Mulling was dreadful tonight...worst I've seen him play...his crossing / corners were poor and if passes to him weren't to feet he didn't appear to be interested... 

He's arguably been our best player the past 2 or 3 games and while he was poor last night, it WAS his free kick which led to the penalty for the 3rd goal.....

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Kinda depressing stat. Don't think it's ideal that both our fullbacks are still quite young and don't really have any competition for their places.

Up until the last 2 or 3 games I actually thought Reading was having a pretty good season, however he's definitely not been playing well recently but to completely write him off after an inevitable form dip is probably a bit of a knee jerk reaction by some.

On the other hand, I'd agree that Houston and McAllister are not quite good enough if we want to be winning the league and most of us have known that for the past couple of years now.

I also thought Ashford and McKenzie made a difference to the game when they came on as we seemed to gain more control and have much more of the ball, although both could and should have scored, if they could both improve their finishing then both would be great assets to have.

All in all though, we played terrible yet walked away with the 3 points, so what's not to like.

Personally I would rather go for 1 or 2 additions in January, unless anyone leaves permanently. January is historically a difficult time to recruit and including loans out we probably already carry a squad of about 25-30 players at training. 

From the way the players talk and interact it's obvious there is a good team spirit and importantly a bit of character in the squad as we've seen in games. Probably the main reason we are where we are currently so quality over quantity would be my preference as easier to integrate.

Dipo seems to play his best stuff when McKenzie is on the field . If we can find a physical type like him that can also score goals and a similar upgrade to our fullbacks then we would be pretty sorted . I’m not suggesting getting rid of McKenzie , Houston or Reading . More like buying them more time while strengthening the team .

1 minute ago, North British said:

Dipo seems to play his best stuff when McKenzie is on the field . If we can find a physical type like him that can also score goals and a similar upgrade to our fullbacks then we would be pretty sorted . I’m not suggesting getting rid of McKenzie , Houston or Reading . More like buying them more time while strengthening the team .

I've mentioned this before but Dipo plays as a striker when Brad Young's not there and we seem to get more goals out of him and more involvement, however when Young plays Dipo tends to play much deeper and the team as a whole seem to play better.

It's a difficult one but not a bad problem to have and when you think that as well as Dipo we've got Chalmers, Young, Ashford, McKenzie, Daire, JML and Mullin all playing in forward positions, it really does show you the quality strength in depth that we have in this squad.

We need to get better at controlling games and that comes down to ball retention ultimately. The opposition can't hurt us when we've got the ball. The number of times we misplaced passes last night was infuriating as was the shell it long approach. 

It's good to win when not playing well. If we start playing consistently well we could really have a tilt at the title. I've never seen the Championship as open as this season. It's ridiculous and we need to try and capitalise on it.

4 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

So does anyone think Dave smith might put his hand in his pocket when the window opens to really bolster our position and really go for promotion? 

No, The work on the new stand is due to start in the summer, from  business point of view, he may prefer us not to go up this season although I am sure he would take it obviously. 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

No, The work on the new stand is due to start in the summer, from  business point of view, he may prefer us not to go up this season although I am sure he would take it obviously. 

I don’t think the core of this squad would struggle in the league above. Yes we may take a few pummellings but I think we’d stay up which would pay for the new stand and the development 

2 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I don’t think the core of this squad would struggle in the league above. Yes we may take a few pummellings but I think we’d stay up which would pay for the new stand and the development 

Possibly. One thing for sure, for me anyway, is there is no way we could go up and surrender so much possession and the middle of the park the way we do on a near weekly basis in this league. We'd get Brechin'd.

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Is it maybe a season or two to early to go up?

What's going to change in two seasons? A new stand?

The simple fact is that the biggest indicator of league performance is wage bill. Ayr will not be dramatically increasing the wage bill while still in this division and so will still lose out to the majority of potential signings if a rival is also interested. So the absolute best time to go up is now, while the opposition are either underperforming or distracted by off-field incompetence.

32 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Possibly. One thing for sure, for me anyway, is there is no way we could go up and surrender so much possession and the middle of the park the way we do on a near weekly basis in this league. We'd get Brechin'd.

Possession is overrated (just ask any exorcist) as ultimately it's all down to scoring goals and creating chances which is exactly what we've been doing this season.

I loved the way we played under McCall but at the same time I'm also loving watching us playing with wingers and seeing balls being whipped into the box.

Ultimately you can't have everything but the results are coming playing this way and the chances are numerous in almost every game so I'm more than happy to see us giving up possession as long as the chances and results keep coming.

53 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Less Old Firm fans for us to have to put up with sounds preferable, although still a Railway End too much for most of us.

Possession is overrated (just ask any exorcist) as ultimately it's all down to scoring goals and creating chances which is exactly what we've been doing this season.
I loved the way we played under McCall but at the same time I'm also loving watching us playing with wingers and seeing balls being whipped into the box.
Ultimately you can't have everything but the results are coming playing this way and the chances are numerous in almost every game so I'm more than happy to see us giving up possession as long as the chances and results keep coming.

It’s overrated if you don’t do anything with it and at the end of the game you’ve lost. However I think the point still stands that if you give up possession to better teams they will score goals against you. We were lucky that Hamilton were quite poor in front of goal last night as I’d be expecting us to have scored a few of the chances they had.

There’s no doubt in my mind that if we go up Bullen will have us playing a 4-3-3/4-5-1. We’d also be talking about 5-6 good signings and maybe 3-4 of the current batch either being shipped out or told they’ll be backup to new players.