The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

It's verging on tinpot. Utterly embarrassing, fix the picture quality before puting commentary on it. 🙈

I'm assuming the solution in the short term is to use the footage from the match day stream which  is the reason it contains commentary. However even at the highest quality it's difficult to make out who is who.

Watching highlights from teams in L1 like Falkirk and Alloa and even L2 clubs like Stranraer and Stirling Albion it's clear how poor ours is video quality wise.

As much as I like Young as an individual, I feel that we get far more out of Dipo when playing through the middle and off McKenzie. It's a difficult one, but anyone who was at the game yesterday must have noticed a huge difference in terms of our control of the match and the creation of chances once both Ashford and McKenzie entered the pitch and Dipo changed role.

It's definitely a major headache for Bullen to solve but Chalmers and Mullin have to be our first choices as our wide men with Ashford, McKenzie and Young fighting for the other place and JML and O'Connor looking like the impact subs / back up wide men.

Mullin confirmed he could also play at RB if required (I already knew this from Ladeside days) but there's no doubt that we DO have plenty of quality options. I don't think anyone would disagree that Mullin has been superb for us since his signing, with his crossing a major part of many of our goals recently.

As for Musonda, he was clutching the back of his right thigh when he limped off and then was sitting on the bench with an ice pack, so hopefully nothing too serious.

Ultimately it was another decent point yesterday in what was a war of attrition and I think most of us went home happy enough.

On to Friday night now and a chance to really put the pressure on the rest...

As much as I like Young as an individual, I feel that we get far more out of Dipo when playing through the middle and off McKenzie. It's a difficult one, but anyone who was at the game yesterday must have noticed a huge difference in terms of our control of the match and the creation of chances once both Ashford and McKenzie entered the pitch and Dipo changed role.
It's definitely a major headache for Bullen to solve but Chalmers and Mullin have to be our first choices as our wide men with Ashford, McKenzie and Young fighting for the other place and JML and O'Connor looking like the impact subs / back up wide men.
Mullin confirmed he could also play at RB if required (I already knew this from Ladeside days) but there's no doubt that we DO have plenty of quality options. I don't think anyone would disagree that Mullin has been superb for us since his signing, with his crossing a major part of many of our goals recently.
As for Musonda, he was clutching the back of his right thigh when he limped off and then was sitting on the bench with an ice pack, so hopefully nothing too serious.
Ultimately it was another decent point yesterday in what was a war of attrition and I think most of us went home happy enough.
On to Friday night now and a chance to really put the pressure on the rest...

I don’t think Ashford and McKenzie necessarily affected the game. I think Morton had to make some changes and given they don’t have the squad depth we have, it knocked the balance of their team off a bit. Where previously McGrattan was occupying a wider position but also tracking back into midfield and making it hard for us to get to grips with the ball. When he came off and Kabia came on, they lost that extra man in the middle as Kabia was more interested in pushing high and wide and didn’t do much to stop Mullin when he was playing right back.

In short, the game opened up a bit more when Morton had to make changes. Had we kept Young on the pitch and Mullin further up we may have created more chances. Ashford and McKenzie are very rarely going to win you a match.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ashford and McKenzie are very rarely going to win you a match

In fairness, Ashford could have scored from that cross from Mullin. I curse his soul for not doing so. Young at the very least, spooked the Morton keeper at any given opportunity. I think if he was kept on, something more would have been created, whether it been from him or Akinyemi.

Looking at the highlights, I don't see it being that obvious a hand ball for the second goal 🤔 it played him 😂 I was in the coo shed at that point and couldn't work it out 🤔

19 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think Ashford and McKenzie necessarily affected the game. I think Morton had to make some changes and given they don’t have the squad depth we have, it knocked the balance of their team off a bit. Where previously McGrattan was occupying a wider position but also tracking back into midfield and making it hard for us to get to grips with the ball. When he came off and Kabia came on, they lost that extra man in the middle as Kabia was more interested in pushing high and wide and didn’t do much to stop Mullin when he was playing right back.

In short, the game opened up a bit more when Morton had to make changes. Had we kept Young on the pitch and Mullin further up we may have created more chances. Ashford and McKenzie are very rarely going to win you a match.

As I say, it appears to me that when the two of them play (and especially McKenzie) it seems to get more out of Dipo and his position changes, I also feel it makes us more solid as a unit, however the 3 guys I stand beside every week all see the game differently from me and also from one another so I suppose it all just boils down to individual opinions as opposed to any concrete right or wrong answer and that's why we're not all Managing at the top level ourselves.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

As I say, it appears to me that when the two of them play (and especially McKenzie) it seems to get more out of Dipo and his position changes, I also feel it makes us more solid as a unit, however the 3 guys I stand beside every week all see the game differently from me and also from one another so I suppose it all just boils down to individual opinions as opposed to any concrete right or wrong answer and that's why we're not all Managing at the top level ourselves.

I agree with this. We don't look as easily opened up when Ashford and McKenzie play. We don't look as dangerous either right enough but it certainly helps stop us being over run at times like the game v Partick. 

However we do look a lot more dangerous going forward with Chalmers and Mullen on the wing. 

It's a good problem to have for a change.

So we're four games from the turn of the season ,  Accies ,Ict , Rovers and Thistle . I figure if we can get through these unbeaten then it may just be game on and we can start to believe. Who does what at the window will be key, a pair of fullbacks and a goal scoring second striker would put us on the front foot I reckon.

5 hours ago, Dauntless said:

So we're four games from the turn of the season ,  Accies ,Ict , Rovers and Thistle . I figure if we can get through these unbeaten then it may just be game on and we can start to believe. Who does what at the window will be key, a pair of fullbacks and a goal scoring second striker would put us on the front foot I reckon.

To be fair, there are a half dozen other teams that could say the same. League is mental. Still expect Dundee to Bullet Bowyer then spend wildly in January to win it.

Funnily enough, I was listening to Off the Ball on the drive to the game on Saturday and they were talking about Jim Duffy being a great manager who "knows" football and who surely wouldn't be out of a job for long.  Properly made me laugh that, but with takes like that from pals in media in Scotland it's not hard to see how he managed to get another job.   

Edited by super_carson

Funnily enough, I was listening to Off the Ball on the drive to the game on Saturday and they were talking about Jim Duffy being a great manager who "knows" football and who surely wouldn't be out of a job for long.  Properly made me laugh that, but with takes like that from pals in media in Scotland it's not hard to see how he managed to get another job.   

I remember that shitehole of a programme calling for Duffy to be the next Scotland manager after guiding Morton to the lofty heights of 4th in the Championship. Cosgrove and Cowan are utter laughing stocks and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I remember that shitehole of a programme calling for Duffy to be the next Scotland manager after guiding Morton to the lofty heights of 4th in the Championship. Cosgrove and Cowan are utter laughing stocks and should be treated as such.

Although I can imagine Cowan saying that I doubt Cosgrove would. Chic Young definitely came out with it though - on several occasions.

25 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Poor Clyde.

I would not wish Duffy or Hopkin on any club. Two absolutely horrendous managers.

Hopkin was not just a terrible manager but an absolute w****r as well.

I was bored the other night and ranked the managers Ayr United have had in my time supporting them. You know you've had some dire managers when Mark Roberts is in the top half of your list. 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hopkin was not just a terrible manager but an absolute w****r as well.

I was bored the other night and ranked the managers Ayr United have had in my time supporting them. You know you've had some dire managers when Mark Roberts is in the top half of your list. 😂😂😂

Roberts in the top half? Fucking hell that's a depressing thought.