Mark Kerr

Mark Roberts

Campbell Money

Robert Connor

Mark Shanks

Jim Duffy

Neil Watt

David Hopkin

Compiling this list gave me Vietnam flashbacks. In my time supporting Ayr, most of our managers have been shite. Jaysus.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d have Neil Watt higher than Duffy. Absolutely nothing to do with ability but Duffy was a w**k and Watt earns a bit of respect for paying some players out of his own pocket.

Maybe, but he was IMO the most disappointing manager on that list. I expected much better from him.

23 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Only time I ever gave up on Ayr and had a boycott was during Roberts reign. Worst manager in my humble opinion

You know something? The more I think about his tenure, the further I want to put him down the list. He was a prime example of a manager getting too much time when it isn't working out. He'd already had two full seasons before then. 

Edited by Richey Edwards

Maybe, but he was IMO the most disappointing manager on that list. I expected much better from him.

Aye the mistake he made was just bringing players from that Stranraer team with him. Seemed like his only idea at the time.

We’ve definitely not been blessed with good managers but I’d argued we’ve not been blessed with good direction at boardroom level for a while either. This is the first time since I’ve been supporting Ayr that there seems like a clear idea of where we want to be. Guys like Watt and Connor and Roberts were all in charge when the folk running the club were only interested in keeping the lights on. McCall changed things up a bit but it was never going to be sustainable. You need more than one man to take the club forward. We currently have three and their all pulling the club forward in different areas.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Ian McCall

Gordon Dalziel

Brian Reid

Mark Kerr

Mark Roberts

Campbell Money

Robert Connor

Mark Shanks

Jim Duffy

Neil Watt

David Hopkin

Its strange that all of these managers were in very different financial situations 🤔 there's been a few chairmen in this timeframe.

The Campbell Money drop after the high Flying Dalziel years 🤔

Ian McCall to pick up the pieces of the abysmal mess Roberts had left, trying to be one of 'The Boys' 🙄  with Mccall Creating probably the sexiest Ayr United team we've ever known.

Jim Duffy to W*nk on the humongous pile of steaming ginger Sh*te, public urinal smelling turd dick David Hopkunt left, to no avail. Should have been fired out a canon into the sea!

Mark shanks was probably bottom of the barrell in choices for Ayr at a time where they, in my time, were probably at their lowest of the lows and seriously struggling financially. Robert Connor had the same problem, though seemed to get results and no more 😒 I remember this bad time mostly due to the lack of interest people had in Ayr utd compared to a few years earlier 😮💨 separated the fans from the 'fans' 🙄

Mark Kerr obviously had to replace Ian McCall, who would be very hard to replace and honestly I don't think Kerr had enough time.

Neil Watt signed Stranraer. It worked for them but not for Ayr in the league above.

Brian Reid did well, other than the yo-yo promotion/relegation battles and the anti-football sh*te at Hampden against K*llie.

Looking back at these managers, what a difference it is to look at Bullen and think of what lies ahead with only having positives in mind. It's odd but it's a great feeling.

Always felt sorry for Robert Connor.  Did his level best for the club at a time when we were basically reduced to paying mediocre juniors travelling expenses to help us make up a team.  Probably deserves credit for keeping us in League 1.

Edited by Nelson

16 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Only time I ever gave up on Ayr and had a boycott was during Roberts reign. Worst manager in my humble opinion

What a dark time that was for the club. I was absolutely certain that we were destined for League 2 during the last stretch of his time as manager. 

What is particularly annoying is that I've seen more than a couple of players from that squad on podcasts/interviews talking about how it was a great time and what a laugh it was down at Ayr. Genuinely pissed me off.

17 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I've had my doubts about my team but I've never given up on them. Might be an age thing admittedly but the club are in my blood, like it or otherwise. I can live with the disappointments - maybe it's because I've got used to it.

Notice Bullen has said he wants to tie McAdams down on a new contract. Be surprised since he's currently No.2 if he signs it this early but at least the club are putting deals on the table before May.

Imagine McGinty and McKenzie are the only others who have earned some sort of offer with the jury still out on our 2 RBs and O'Connor appearing to be out of favour.

Notice Bullen has said he wants to tie McAdams down on a new contract. Be surprised since he's currently No.2 if he signs it this early but at least the club are putting deals on the table before May.
Imagine McGinty and McKenzie are the only others who have earned some sort of offer with the jury still out on our 2 RBs and O'Connor appearing to be out of favour.

I think O’Connor would choose to leave unless he’s given more game time. From what I heard it was touch and go whether he’d stay in the summer and I’m sure he said he was close to jacking it in and heading home before Hopkin got the sack.

I think he’s a good player but isn’t on the same level as Chalmers or Mullin.

Based on a report looks like Musonda is doubtful for Saturday, so not just cramp like Bullen said., I thought he looked sore and with an ice pack on his calf when game finished .The boy saying he wants to be away with his country for a friendly the week we play Inverness so think he’ll be looking to rest up this week as well.

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think O’Connor would choose to leave unless he’s given more game time. From what I heard it was touch and go whether he’d stay in the summer and I’m sure he said he was close to jacking it in and heading home before Hopkin got the sack.

I think he’s a good player but isn’t on the same level as Chalmers or Mullin.

He's a decent footballer and actually started this season quite well. However if we could get a permanent deal sorted for Mullin then I would let O'Connor go if he wanted to.