The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Hmmm, flinging it on the player budget is a bit of a riddy when it's strictly volunteering.

Hard to argue with that. If you want to reach new/lapsed fans and raise the profile of the club investing in the media side is vital. It is short termism to cut it in my opinion. We've effectively cut the quality product and left ourselves with the inferior stuff that everyone complains about.

Still no thanks to Wuffsters efforts over the years which is extremely poor. Other than thanking the team, name them! That statement is a bit tone deaf for me.

We're over a third of the way through the league season before they've updated us. If that was the rationale why not tell us on day one?

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Hard to argue with that. If you want to reach new/lapsed fans and raise the profile of the club investing in the media side is vital. It is short termism to cut it in my opinion. We've effectively cut the quality product and left ourselves with the inferior stuff that everyone complains about.

Still no thanks to Wuffsters efforts over the years which is extremely poor. Other than thanking the team, name them! That statement is a bit tone death for me.

And even that isn't a particularly high quality product, but you can't really say that type of thing with them being volunteers. Strange how they get rid of the one that guy that actually provided a consistent high quality product.

2 hours ago, super_carson said:

I thought Wuffster said he was a volunteer? Not sure the cost of covering someone's expenses would make a meaningful dent in the playing department. 

I'm glad they've acknowledged the lack of highlights, but the quality of what we do get also needs to be improved.

Agreed.

Wuffsters highlights were always excellent quality. Any new highlights package would be doing well to match Wuffsters work.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

And even that isn't a particularly high quality product, but you can't really say that type of thing with them being volunteers. Strange how they get rid of the one that guy that actually provided a consistent high quality product.

Yet they keep the crap that is au media…

The club mention the match day stream but given for 3pm games it's only being streamed post COVID to those outside the UK I'd be curious to know how many people are watching this especially since those games aren't PPV.
If the reasoning is true about budgets then while streaming may still be a worthwhile use of resource, I'm sure the majority would sacrifice that in favour of better highlights.
Suppose they've at least finally acknowledged the problem and hopefully we see an improvement in the short term.

I know absolutely nothing about the situation with the highlights package or how we structure AU Media / volunteers / full time etc with contracts ?

However, given the fact that the club obviously know people are annoyed about this and also given that we are seemingly doing everything / most things both on and off the pitch very well at the moment, then I suppose that we have to put our trust in them that they must have a very good reason / reasons for doing what they're doing with the highlights package.

I'd also reckon that Mathie et all will know themselves that us not having a decent highlights package and one which can be easily accessed via Youtube etc could indeed prove detrimental to the club with regards to gaining more interest / support / sponsorship etc, so again we can only hope that they must have some very good reason behind this and that hopefully it will soon be rectified ???

I still don't understand the decision. Its not like ditching the highlights freed up the wage for a player. I'm not sure whether the club are implying that?

Moreover, I also think given the way we gush over players departing that someone who has done a role for almost 15 years (?) at the club leaves without even a mention of their name. That is just poor on a human level. There is no way to dress that up tbh. We have to do better as a club, it's like a form of self harm and the sort of conduct I grew accustomed to under the previous custodian.

Hopefully there will be some learnings as the statement doesn't really help matters either.

8 hours ago, super_carson said:

I thought Wuffster said he was a volunteer? Not sure the cost of covering someone's expenses would make a meaningful dent in the playing department.

Nope. I've received a nominal fee most seasons (barring the covid season, and I waived the fee for the season that ended in March). I even posted it on here a few years ago:

I'm happy that the club is prioritising the playing staff (including a full-time video analyst) - it is a football club.

I was fortunate in the past to have a board that valued having matches recorded and realised there was a real cost to doing it. The nominal fee I charged the club didn't change in 15 years either - it certainly would not make a dent in the playing department!

I await with interest the new highlights package.

26 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Nope. I've received a nominal fee most seasons (barring the covid season, and I waived the fee for the season that ended in March). I even posted it on here a few years ago:

I'm happy that the club is prioritising the playing staff (including a full-time video analyst) - it is a football club.

I was fortunate in the past to have a board that valued having matches recorded and realised there was a real cost to doing it. The nominal fee I charged the club didn't change in 15 years either - it certainly would not make a dent in the playing department!

I await with interest the new highlights package.

Ah fair enough, apologies I got it mixed up. 

Either way, as mentioned, it's one of these things that perhaps is worth spending a bit of money on (especially if it's cheaper than outsourcing to some sort of company). A few teams get a sponsor for their highlights which could help offset any costs.

Aye pleased with that. Maybe not on the level of Doohan or Sinisalo but he’s a good keeper to have at this level. I’d assume we’ll replace McAdams in the summer and bring someone in to keep pushing Albinson.

If and I know it’s a big if. If we get promoted he’s not premier league class

How many players in our squad actually are though?

There’s a few that could step up and adapt. I think he’s one of them.