The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Bit concerning to hear Bullen say Chalmers was 'seeing stars' at one point. If that's in reference to a head knock it sounds like a possible concussion. What are the protocols in this division for protecting players who are potentially concussed?
Unlike the past when Forest, for example, picked up a knock, and we really did not have a replacement to come in we have options now I have every faith in O'connor, JML or Ashford to come in and do a job I don't think it's much of a stretch to say we have one of the best depths of squad in the league.

Definitely  rode our luck a few times again but we’re unlucky a couple of times also, like the Partick game we were better in the box than them so we’ll done. The next game will be a battle of the midfield which I’m sure Bullen will know, there only change being Efe in since the last game and we all know he likes to give out presents now and again, a decent signing for them but no more than that he is def a gamble that’s why he’s not had a club till now.

Cant see Bullen changing his style at home so I think it will be another rollercoaster.

Thought it might be interesting to compare our last fast start to the league in 2018 with where we are now. Turns out not so different (and I don't think there are any teams as strong as that year's County side in the division this year).

image.png.c0f96e86819fc7503b0e63ce0a7a7298.png

Thought it might be interesting to compare our last fast start to the league in 2018 with where we are now. Turns out not so different (and I don't think there are any teams as strong as that year's County side in the division this year).

image.png.c0f96e86819fc7503b0e63ce0a7a7298.png

Funnily enough I looked at this the other day. Mainly as I couldn’t remember when our season really started to derail that year. I’d say it started when Shankland got injured and missed Falkirk at home. They beat us 1-0. We had the odd good result after that but his injury, a small squad getting burnt out and a lack of quality signings in January was our undoing.

The good news this time around is that we have a far deeper squad with quality options on the bench. That’s not to say that if we lose a couple of certain players we’ll be absolutely fine. But we stand a better chance. I’d also say that come January the club are better equipped to bring in better players.

Funnily enough I looked at this the other day. Mainly as I couldn’t remember when our season really started to derail that year. I’d say it started when Shankland got injured and missed Falkirk at home. They beat us 1-0. We had the odd good result after that but his injury, a small squad getting burnt out and a lack of quality signings in January was our undoing.

The good news this time around is that we have a far deeper squad with quality options on the bench. That’s not to say that if we lose a couple of certain players we’ll be absolutely fine. But we stand a better chance. I’d also say that come January the club are better equipped to bring in better players.
For me, this result was the start of the downfall don't think we ever recovered from blowing this two goal lead if we had held on the confidence in the squad would have sky rocketed but I think they started to doubt themselves obviously Shankland being out for about 6 weeks with a classic Ian Mcall "wee knock" did not helpf0a5fcd845af589a8a11b9297eb65a0b.jpg

3 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

For me, this result was the start of the downfall don't think we ever recovered from blowing this two goal lead if we had held on the confidence in the squad would have sky rocketed but I think they started to doubt themselves obviously Shankland being out for about 6 weeks with a classic Ian Mcall "wee knock" did not help

Shankland ended up contacting St. Mirren and going for another scan during that time; turned out the injury had become infected.

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It's also interesting (maybe just to me) that only ourselves, Inverness and Morton have played in the division every season from then until now.

Looking back to 2018-19, I always think it was the game that got postponed at Somerset versus ICT. We had momentum having pumped Dundee United the week before. Missing that next fixture meant we went into the aforementioned Ross County game having not played for 2 weeks.

Obviously Shankland getting injured certainly didn't help as well.

I actually thought our January additions should have been good in Miller and Caden but they were disappointing at best. Then there was the Auchinleck aberration. 🙈

I try and only remember up to Xmas of that season. With a bit more investment in the team in January we could have challenged. Of that I have no doubt.

33 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Looking back to 2018-19, I always think it was the game that got postponed at Somerset versus ICT. We had momentum having pumped Dundee United the week before. Missing that next fixture meant we went into the aforementioned Ross County game having not played for 2 weeks.

I actually thought our January additions should have been good in Miller and Caden but they were disappointing at best. Then there was the Auchinleck aberration. 🙈

I try and only remember up to Xmas of that season. With a bit more investment in the team in January we could have challenged. Of that I have no doubt.

Hopefully some institutional memory remains and we don't repeat the error.

I actually thought our January additions should have been good in Miller and Caden but they were disappointing at best. Then there was the Auchinleck aberration. [emoji85]

Cadden is especially frustrating given how he did for Morton the season after.

Just back from the reserve game at Cumnock v Killie

Really good game could have went either way 2-2 when I left

Ayr really have good depth in there squad which will help as the season goes along, today the boy Williams really caught the eye scored a great goal and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t start on Saturdays Morton game.

Oconnor Ashford McKenzie Smith all played well also and the Moff had a run out second half along with Bryden

Most good teams have a healthy reserve side pushing them on and I have to say we have that which is very healthy. We have a few good youngsters as well not sure who they were but they did really well with Ecrepont probably the pick, think this needs to be the year he kicks on and I would have no worries if he was put in for the struggling Reading. Surprised he wasn’t involved today possibly has a knock

49 minutes ago, Iain said:

Hopefully some institutional memory remains and we don't repeat the error.

I'm sure Smith rues it just as much as we do. I don't expect we'd make the same mistake. Other than the full back and maybe something more in central midfield we do have decent strength and depth. 

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Cadden is especially frustrating given how he did for Morton the season after.

Aye, it was galling watching him the following season. Was like a different player.

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm sure Smith rues it just as much as we do. I don't expect we'd make the same mistake. Other than the full back and maybe something more in central midfield we do have decent strength and depth. 

Aye, it was galling watching him the following season. Was like a different player.

Playing for Barnsley now.

Edited by TONTROOPER

Just back from the reserve game at Cumnock v Killie
Really good game could have went either way 2-2 when I left
Ayr really have good depth in there squad which will help as the season goes along, today the boy Williams really caught the eye scored a great goal and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t start on Saturdays Morton game.
Oconnor Ashford McKenzie Smith all played well also and the Moff had a run out second half along with Bryden
Most good teams have a healthy reserve side pushing them on and I have to say we have that which is very healthy. We have a few good youngsters as well not sure who they were but they did really well with Ecrepont probably the pick, think this needs to be the year he kicks on and I would have no worries if he was put in for the struggling Reading. Surprised he wasn’t involved today possibly has a knock

I assume Williams is a youth player?

I highly doubt he's going to be starting on Saturday.