The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

Surely the club should be considering releasing half-season tickets around Christmas time. Would be great to capitalise on this form and team.

Absolutely. I don’t see why there couldn’t be a season ticket available all season long. Discounted each week to reflect how many games are left. 

Very even game today but you guys know how to win. Reminds me of us last season, we always seemed to find a way.

As it’s, obviously, not going to be us, I would love yourselves or Morton to win the league. Proper clubs, living within their means, traditional old school grounds and throwbacks to my childhood when it felt normal to have clubs like Ayr, Morton and Dumbarton in the top league.

The impressive thing about this squad is that we have some very good footballers, but they are not afraid to roll their sleeves up and graft as well, the full culture word that Smith, Mathie, and Bullen keep using can come across as gimmicky and cliché but it's obviously working and the club from top to bottom is pulling in the same direction.

I was at the game today and for the most part it was a tough watch. Arbroath were decent in possession, and I was convinced it would be 0-0, or when we scored, 1-1. Ultimately we took our chances when they arrived, and it’s all down to squad depth. Albinson a hero again with some big saves. Next week should be some game! Dipo is due a goal, so I’m making an early forecast of 2-1 Ayr, Dipo and Chalmers. COYA!

16 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

After that substitute performance Jayden surely has to start on Saturday against Morton. I like Chalmers but JML deserves a start I think.

He looks too lightweight to play wide of a midfield 4.  Would probably be better suited to a front 3.  I hope Bullen has watched Morton recently as they seem to be flooding the midfield with numbers, so might be better for us to add Smith in the middle and sacrifice Young.

In this league, every team can cut the throat of each other, so if we can just concentrate on ourselves, keep looking forward, and focus on the old cliche of “one game at a time”

I think the secret to that is paying close attention on how each of the opposition is set up as and when we play them.

We have a squad of ample depth now that we can mix it up and set ourselves up to give us the maximum chance of the three points in each game, and it will also have our opposition scratching their heads as to who we will play and how.

I don’t think there is sufficient quality at this level to have the same starting eleven every week and walk away with the title.

34 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

In this league, every team can cut the throat of each other, so if we can just concentrate on ourselves, keep looking forward, and focus on the old cliche of “one game at a time”

I think the secret to that is paying close attention on how each of the opposition is set up as and when we play them.

We have a squad of ample depth now that we can mix it up and set ourselves up to give us the maximum chance of the three points in each game, and it will also have our opposition scratching their heads as to who we will play and how.

I don’t think there is sufficient quality at this level to have the same starting eleven every week and walk away with the title.

I’ve seen Morton twice now and my gut feeling is that they don’t have a huge amount of quality in the attacking third.  What they do have though is physicality and an apparent game plan to turn the midfield into a battle and it’s proving very effective.  

The last 2 results have been great for Ayr, but it does feel like we’re flying by the seat of our pants at times with next to no control of the ball in the middle of the park.  I definitely think there are times when we will have to put an extra man in midfield so we’re not getting overrun.  The disappointment for me is Bangala.  On paper he sounded like what we are missing, but he’s trained with us for a good 6-8 weeks now and there’s no sign that Bullen believes in him. 

Bit concerning to hear Bullen say Chalmers was 'seeing stars' at one point. If that's in reference to a head knock it sounds like a possible concussion. What are the protocols in this division for protecting players who are potentially concussed?